C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 optispark drive lube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:13 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1994 optispark drive lube?

I think I may have goofed up. I am in the midst of reassembly after a cam swap. So after cam install, changing out oil pan gasket, seals on timing cover, new opti, ignition plug wires and water pump, I sat back to admire my work. It was late and I was tired. I happened to look at the tubes of lube I had sitting nearby. I think I may have grabbed the wrong tube and put Permatex aluminum anti-seize on the Optispark drive where it passes through the seal in the timing cover. I was going to put moly engine assembly lube on it.
Do I need to remove the water pump and opti and put a different lube on that part, or will I be ok? I have done a search and can't really find an answer. Lesson:stop when you're tired.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Ouch that does not sound good better safe than sorry. Did you put sealant on the waterpump bolts? And the nipple and hose on the waterpump weep hole?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-04-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Ouch that does not sound good better safe than sorry. Did you put sealant on the waterpump bolts?
Yes. Thankfully.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it now. The most that can happen is you will have a small oil leak from the opti drive seal. The opti will continue to work just fine. More importantly I hope you put anti-seize on the crank hub mating surfaces in case you have to take it off again in the future.

Just being able to sucessfully take off and reinstall an opti by yourself is a good accomplishment on these cars.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
I wouldn't worry too much about it now. The most that can happen is you will have a small oil leak from the opti drive seal. The opti will continue to work just fine. More importantly I hope you put anti-seize on the crank hub mating surfaces in case you have to take it off again in the future.

Just being able to sucessfully take off and reinstall an opti by yourself is a good accomplishment on these cars.

Yes to anti-seize

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 optispark drive lube?

Quick Reply: 1994 optispark drive lube?