C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flushed brake fluid - now pedal goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:17 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Flushed brake fluid - now pedal goes to floor

I flush the brake fluid on my 1992 every 3 years. Did it again this weekend, and now my brakes don't really work at all. Never had a problem before this.
  • I used DOT 4 like always
  • There is no air in the lines, based on what I saw coming out of the bleeders.
  • I used the correct bleeding sequence per the FSM, using the "press and release" method.
  • Pedal goes to the floor, but if I pump it 4 times, it feels good and does not continue slowly go to the floor
  • The "Brake" warning light on the dash does not illuminate like I expect it should (It does come on for a moment in the Run position, so the bulb is good)
  • I did not bleed the Modulator valve in the rear compartment, since neither the MC or the reservoir was removed.

The only thing I thought was odd during the procedure is that the fluid flow from the front bleeders was not as fast as I would have thought.
Given this info, I am suspecting that the MC has failed, but this seems way to coincidental.
So to you brake experts.... do you think that my suspicion about the MC is correct? Is there a sure way to confirm this? And, if I do need a MC, RockAuto has Raybestos (Professional Grade), Dorman and Cardone. Are any or all of these made in China?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

ABS codes? The "Brake" light has become a low fluid level light over the years. If the master cylinder is full the light's off. I would try bleeding master cylinder to see how the fluid flows. If its strong Master cylinder is probably ok. I would continue down the line. Anything is possible on a 20+ year old car. Make sure the rear caliper pistons (parking brake actuators) not retracted, and will firmly apply pads to rotors.

If after rebleeding the entire system I would go with the master cylinder mostly because cost and availability compared to ABS valve block
Old 04-04-2016, 04:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

By any chance, did you let the MC reservoir run dry or down to where the holes for the fluid lines were exposed? That could have caused air to get into the MC which may require doing a bench bleed, then re-bleeding the lines.

Fluid type (DOT 4 or DOT3) is not really an issue.

The "Modulator" is actually the ABS system. Unless you have access to a GM Tech 2 Scan Tool and the appropriate brake module for the Tech 2, the ABS system can't really be bled. The tool operates the ABS pump and fluid is pumped out through a port on the side of the pump. This can be a messy job....

If the pedal can be pumped a few times and then the pedal stays firm, I would do a bench bleed and than re-bleed the lines. If it turns out that you decide to replace the MC, stay away from either the Dorman or Cardone pieces. The Raybestos Professional Grade MC is much better than either one. An AC Delco Professional MC will work great too. Most all reman components are now done in China or assembled in the US from Chinese-made parts.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
By any chance, did you let the MC reservoir run dry or down to where the holes for the fluid lines were exposed? That could have caused air to get into the MC which may require doing a bench bleed, then re-bleeding the lines.

If the pedal can be pumped a few times and then the pedal stays firm, I would do a bench bleed and than re-bleed the lines. If it turns out that you decide to replace the MC, stay away from either the Dorman or Cardone pieces. The Raybestos Professional Grade MC is much better than either one. An AC Delco Professional MC will work great too. Most all reman components are now done in China or assembled in the US from Chinese-made parts.
Thanks. Regarding fluid level, I first sucked the old fluid out of the MC, then filled it with fresh fluid. Once I started the bleed procedure, the level was kept topped right up. I'll have to try the bench bleed idea.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 PM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If it gets to the point you're thinking about a bench bleed, you might want to consider reverse bleeding instead:
Amazon.com: Phoenix Systems (2104-B) V-5 Reverse Brake Bleeder, Light Duty One Person, Fits all makes and models: Automotive Amazon.com: Phoenix Systems (2104-B) V-5 Reverse Brake Bleeder, Light Duty One Person, Fits all makes and models: Automotive
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

usually, if a MC is going bad, the pedal will slowly sink towards the floor, even after pump up .Make sure your pads are good and not worn down. I noticed you said you emptied the MC then refilled it. That may be the problem as air MAY have been introduced to the system. Try another bleed.
The following users liked this post:
92ragtop (04-04-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It is not unusual for a MC to fail after bleeding. Bad MC's can exhibit slow leak down, or severe pedal drop.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The only weird stuff if can think of besides of what's already been said is this.

Make sure the proportional valve is where it should be and has not moved. You can view it from the electrical connector on the passenger side of the master.

Due to all the dirt and grime that was removed from the fluid flush, the seals in the old master are not sealing properly now.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pcolt94
The only weird stuff if can think of besides of what's already been said is this.

Make sure the proportional valve is where it should be and has not moved. You can view it from the electrical connector on the passenger side of the master.

Due to all the dirt and grime that was removed from the fluid flush, the seals in the old master are not sealing properly now.
Thanks. I found an old post from years go that stated...."the prop valve in the master has been triggered & is off center. If there is a brake warning switch in the master remove it & look in the bore. The prop valve [I]piston has a groove machined into it, the groove should be centered in the bore[/I]." Would pressing the pedal to the floor during the bleeding process possibly cause this? My brake warning switch does not come on when the pedal goes to the floor.

Also, if I undo the hard lines from the MC and use a bench bleeding hose kit, can I bench bleed the MC while it is still attached in the car?...essentially using the brake pedal/pushrod instead of a tool or dowel?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Ripe93
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the last 10 years, I only use my Motive Products Power Bleeder. You'll need the p/n 0108 for late model GM's ~$60 on Amazon. One man bleeder that is stupid simple to use. Better than the Phoenix turkey baster. Product endorsement aside, you may have to build a bit of pressure in the system. I have done a 2000 s-10 and my 93 40th and both went to the floor on first press after the bleed but both came up hard after the third press. Scared the Trump out of me at first. But a great pedal when I am done.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:06 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Thanks. I found an old post from years go that stated...."the prop valve in the master has been triggered & is off center. If there is a brake warning switch in the master remove it & look in the bore. The prop valve [I]piston has a groove machined into it, the groove should be centered in the bore[/I]." Would pressing the pedal to the floor during the bleeding process possibly cause this? My brake warning switch does not come on when the pedal goes to the floor.

Also, if I undo the hard lines from the MC and use a bench bleeding hose kit, can I bench bleed the MC while it is still attached in the car?...essentially using the brake pedal/pushrod instead of a tool or dowel?
Not sure about the prop. valve question, but yes you can bleed the master with a bench bleeding kit on the car.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Ripe93
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry 9T3, but you can NOT bench bleed the MC while it's still on the car. First of all, they'd call it 'on-the-car' bleed if that was the case. ;^) And the reason you do it on the bench in a vise is to push the piston farther than it would naturally go with the brake pedal to get the air trapped in the tip of the cylinder.
The following users liked this post:
92ragtop (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 02:17 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

I'm on Rockauto and found two Raybestos Professional Grade MC model numbers. Unfortunately both claim to fit 1992-1996, and we know that 92/93 is different. RA does not offer mechanical or application advice, so can anyone tell me which of the following would be correct for a 1992?

#MC391429 with 12mm (1/2") switch length

#MC390255 {E150608, MC390073} with 3/8" switch length
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ripe93
Sorry 9T3, but you can NOT bench bleed the MC while it's still on the car. First of all, they'd call it 'on-the-car' bleed if that was the case. ;^) And the reason you do it on the bench in a vise is to push the piston farther than it would naturally go with the brake pedal to get the air trapped in the tip of the cylinder.
Sorry ripe, you are completely misinformed. Is it better to be done on a bench? Probably. But the master can also be effectively bled when it's installed.

To the op...big box auto part stores sell cheap universal master bleeding kits which work well. Try one of those and bleed the master ON the car using the brake pedal.

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 04-05-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripe93
done all the time
Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Problem resolved

Sometimes when you are very sure of something, it pays to go back and triple-check anyway. I re-bled the brakes today and found that there was a very large air bubble in one of the front calipers. How it got there, I have no idea because the reservoir was kept topped up. Lesson learned. I just glad it was any easy fix and not a MC.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:18 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

congrats, I know your feeling pretty good right now.. as you should. now its time for you to buy around for all the folks that helped.

Get notified of new replies

To Flushed brake fluid - now pedal goes to floor

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Glad you got it figured out
Old 04-06-2016, 05:48 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Good job……it's done.

Didn’t have to go into left field today. It's one of my rules also, always go back to where you were if something unexpected comes up.

Just wondering what method of bleeding did you initially used?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Good job……it's done.

Didn’t have to go into left field today. It's one of my rules also, always go back to where you were if something unexpected comes up.

Just wondering what method of bleeding did you initially used?
I have a Mighty-vac, but find that when using it to bleed brakes it seems to draw a bit of air from around the thread of the bleeder screw, making it hard to tell if any bubbles are coming from the brake system itself. In this case, I used the press & release method.

I'm a happy camper today....it's a beautiful sunny day and I just took the car out for it's first drive of the year. Reminded me why I love this car.

Quick Reply: Flushed brake fluid - now pedal goes to floor