C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Quick Time Bellhousing ZF6 with RAM Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Y_B_A_FOOL
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Time Bellhousing ZF6 with RAM Clutch

So it took me almost 6 hours to pull my transmission because the stock bell housing was cracked/damaged and warped onto the old engine dowl pins... I have no intention of running the stock bell housing after what I had to do to get it off

I believe I have found the correct replacement bell housing for the transmission (RM-6039), but when I've been looking up information on the forum people are talking about having to run spacers and such to fix clutch issues... I'm installing the internal slave RAM clutch on a 1prms SBC. Does anyone have any experience with this bell housing/clutch combo?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bel...-6039/10002/-1
Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Y_B_A_FOOL
. I'm installing the internal slave RAM clutch on a 1prms SBC. Does anyone have any experience with this bell housing/clutch combo?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bel...-6039/10002/-1
You mentioned internal slave but do you mean "hydraulic release bearing" maybe? Part number the clutch, the release assembly and if you intend a slave part number that also.

What transmission? The 6039 is a ZF only and only the "short input" shaft.

The issues I believe are from installs where the 6039 has been used for installs on LS and attempting the ZF transmission etc. with maybe unusual flywheel combinations. An install on an SBC that has nothing unusual that needs accommodated should be pretty straight forward.

What part number and brand of flywheel are you using now? You're using/intending the same for the new build?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-05-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Y_B_A_FOOL
7th Gear

I got the RAM push clutch conversion kit, link below. Its suppose to be a stock replacement but the bell housing is more of a universal piece from what I'm reading. That's where my concern was with the spacing of the hydraulics with the bell housing. Thanks for the help, I'm ordering it now. I' post an update if it works out.http://www.jegs.com/i/RAM-Clutches/798/90-0800/10002/-1
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Y_B_A_FOOL
I got the RAM push clutch conversion kit, link below. Its suppose to be a stock replacement but the bell housing is more of a universal piece from what I'm reading. That's where my concern was with the spacing of the hydraulics with the bell housing. Thanks for the help, I'm ordering it now. I' post an update if it works out.
So long as you're not doing anything extremely wild with the flywheel "THICKNESS" I think you're fine. You're doing a 30# 'wheel or trying much lighter? Heavier is certainly more driveable.

If you've got the one off of your engine just confirm the height. The 6039 is advertised at 5.774 - The L98/LT1 ZF is 159.5 to tip of input so 146.60 (5.774) + 14 in the crank flange puts the 6039 right on the money.

The Quick-time is "universal" in it's adaptation to nearly all blocks, make sure that you get the block plate as part of the package. Many years ago the plate was NOT included and there were many issues. I've not looked at a 6039 package in a while - I might now.

*** Pick up the phone and call Holley/Lakewood and not Summit/Jegs for answers to questions. The latest look I did at the 6039 they only mention LS but that just ain't so unless they've changed something. The LS only has different crank flange, and spacing difference for flywheel. The housing I believe is a fit and Lakewood/Holley used to mention that.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-05-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Magnesium bellhousing 10126448 is about 6.1 inches tall/deep with both aluminum gaskets, but my digital caliper stops at 6 inches so that's not an exact measurement.

PS
Because I could not measure the GM bellhousing this measurement is also not exact. The quicktime bellhousing is about .4 inches shorter then the GM bellhousing, has changes for the larger LS flywheels, and the starter area is different to allow for starters similar to what was uses on the LS1. Starters similar to a SummitRacing SUM-829200.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 04-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 AM
Y_B_A_FOOL
7th Gear

So that bell housing worked. I had a terrible time with it. I had to sand a good amount of the bearing retained to get it to go down. Broke an ear off the trans trying to make it go down Welded that back up so its all good now.
I had to use all the shims in the kit for the internal slave and its barely within the required tolerance, but now I can't find a starter that fits with the new bell housing. I've tried the Vette starter, a starter I ordered, and a starter from a Third Gen. The starter I ordered fits inside the cup on the bell housing but its for a larger flywheel so it doesn't reach the Ram flywheel. The other starters do not fit in the cup at all, so I can't even bolt it up. I'm guessing I need an expensive mini starter like the Hitachi one... Grabbed some pis with some terrible editing from my phone to show the starter issue
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Time Bellhousing ZF6 with RAM Clutch

Quick Reply: Quick Time Bellhousing ZF6 with RAM Clutch