C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do you use prestone concentrate in vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Readed a lot around, I've got that the most important in to avoid to mix dex-cool or dex-clone with other type antifreeze,

Just I've not got if a dex-cool only can be dangerous too??for head gasket or other parts
You'll get a lot of different answers on that, some people swear by Dex-Cool & many others have had nothing but with nightmares with it........... one thing most everyone can agree on though..... don't mix it with other types of coolant that contain different corrosion inhibiting chemical packages in them.

Don't fall for Prestone's any/make model advertising.... that is complete BS! I don't think they make those claims any more after being sued for it! I would avoid using it altogether for my 'vette, why take a chance, if you do a search you can read all the nightmares GM has had with this coolant, including eating seals and some plastic coolant system parts Dex-Cool may not play nice with!

Last edited by mako41; 04-22-2016 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

I use Zerex G-05. It's a HOAT that they say you can put in cars that use the green stuff. It's supposed to better on the coolant system than the green stuff, and you don't have to change it as often as the green stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (04-25-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 PM
mako41
Pro

Originally Posted by colter
I use Zerex G-05. It's a HOAT that they say you can put in cars that use the green stuff. It's supposed to better on the coolant system than the green stuff, and you don't have to change it as often as the green stuff.
I also use a HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) type coolant in my '89 C4. G-05 is the European designation for HOAT type coolants.

It's a modern long life (5year) coolant with none of the Dex-Cool, (OAT type) coolant problems. Zerex makes it with a light yellow dye available at most national auto parts retailers. Chrysler makes it dyed orange, (looks like Dex-Cool) available at any Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer. You can also get it at Ford dealers dyed Red, and Mercedes dealers, (dyed blue I think?).

Last edited by mako41; 04-26-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:21 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
I also use a HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) type coolant in my '89 C4. G-05 is the European designation for HOAT type coolants.

It's a modern long life (5year) coolant with none of the Dex-Cool, (OAT type) coolant problems. Zerex makes it with a light yellow dye available at most national auto parts retailers. Chrysler makes it dyed orange, (looks like Dex-Cool) available at any Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer. You can also get it at Ford dealers dyed Red, and Mercedes dealers, (dyed blue I think?).
I use the Zerex yellow kind. One thing I read which is why I switched to it is that it doesn't have as bad a problem going to galvanic corrosion compared to the green stuff. As these cars from what I tell tend to develop head gasket problems from galvanic corrosion.

Plus it's my understanding the green stuff has a lot of silicate, i.e. sand, in it that can eat away at stuff inside the coolant system.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:20 AM
Bendeco
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought what ever was on sale and just added to it. Wow I have been polluting my cooling system for years. But nothing has gone wrong.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Seems that HOAT antifreeze is more required there over the seas...

I've a dodge nitro here European version 2.8 diesel.
Yesterday I was seeing FSM about cooling and for us version 4.0L and 3.7L gas engine an HOAT is required, 2.8L just an ethylene glycol antifreeze is required
Old 04-27-2016, 03:19 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Think I said a BS

4.0 l was available here too
Old 04-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

A thing i would say about Prestone is: they make many types coolant... Prestone all makes all model, Prestone prime green, prime orange and finally Prestone dexcool so sounds s little bit strange that they make same product in two different jugs, that is Prestone dexcool and Prestone all makes all models or dex clone
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bendeco
I just bought what ever was on sale and just added to it. Wow I have been polluting my cooling system for years. But nothing has gone wrong.
I think every antifreeze can works good in every engine, just if you had to swap to another just well flush the engine
Old 04-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

You're are right

I've just sent an email to prestone about its formulation, and they confirm me that is an OAT based antifreeze.

Waiting for what they think about safe to use in corvette and other vehicles
Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM
mako41
Pro

Originally Posted by Christi@n
A thing i would say about Prestone is: they make many types coolant... Prestone all makes all model, Prestone prime green, prime orange and finally Prestone dexcool so sounds s little bit strange that they make same product in two different jugs, that is Prestone dexcool and Prestone all makes all models or dex clone
Prestone only makes OAT type ethylene glycol coolants. They are all Dex-Cool clones the only difference between them is the color they are dyed! They no longer market an Any Make/Model coolant (It was an OAT type Dex-Cool clone) after they were sued for false marketing/advertising.

Last edited by mako41; 04-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Prestone only makes OAT type ethylene glycol coolants. They are all Dex-Cool clones the only difference between them is the color they are dyed! They no longer market an Any Make/Model coolant (It was an OAT type Dex-Cool clone) after they were sued for false marketing/advertising.
I've found an interesting article about OAT, HOAT and DEX-COOL.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Here is well explained what's the trouble whit OAT. Basically thay say is a good products, and has a more durable corrosion protection then old silicate antifreeze or HOAT antifreeze, but it requires more time to developes the protecion layer on engine surface, about 5000mi. During this time engine is no protected against corrosion.

Seems that now all manufacturers are swapping from HOAT that is an old tecnology to OAT.

The problem with dex-cool was the 2-EHA ingredient that is sometime inside and sometimes no in modern OAT antifreeze.

Seems prestone yellows jugs was with 2-EHA. Would know if the new formulation on sale since 2012 has it.

Last edited by Christi@n; 04-29-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you use prestone concentrate in vette