C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power antenna issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Big Bird 88
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power antenna issue

1988 Corvette with the Delco Bose system.

I am having an intermittent issue with the radio. They symptom is poor reception. Some times when I am stationary it is perfect. The stereo indicator flashes pretty bad on the head unit. In my experience with radios this is usually an antenna issue, which makes sense because occasionally when I drive it drops out.

I suspect the small ground wire at the base of the antenna, or the connection from the antenna back to the cable that connects to the head unit. Both which are in the same area. Before I go pulling the rear wheel and the molding, is this a common issue with the antenna.

yes I know its a Bose, yes I know they pop and hiss, but this one has only a little whine. Has not been driven much, but it just sounds like a bad antenna ground or connection .

What says the brain trust ?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

All electrolytic capacitors degrade over time and my guess is on a car almost 30 years old the Bose is in need of some fresh components...can't say it's not a simple antenna problem, but as an EE instinct says else-wise.

I brought a brand new 1989 RX-7 That I still own, when I first got it brand new I remember pulling in stations a good 75+ miles way, today the same stereo can barely pull in a station 15 miles away.

If its just a reception problem, I suggest a smart phone, iheartradio, and a cassette adapter and/or bluetooth transmitter.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You could substitute a known fixed mast antenna to confirm the reception aspect of the radio. On an '88 maybe connect to the "in car coupling at the rear". Directly to the radio preferred. The cable front to rear on an '88 I thought was female "push-on" in the car to a pig-tail from the antenna.

If you're going to go after the antenna you need to confirm the ground strap and clean/confirm the RF connection on the mast & tube. The RF connection to the mast is I believe secured with 2 sheet-metal type screws (not sure but earlier were). Perhaps someone has one out of the car and can lift the weather-boot to confirm.

#0000 steel-wool to clean mast.

If it functions (up/down) I believe it a worth while effort.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Big Bird 88
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses.
I understand what you are saying about components aging. However the symptoms are too much like an antenna issue for me. I know the antenna cable from the head unit connects to the power antenna unit somewhere around or near the speaker behind the driver side under the carpet. I will check and confirm there first.

Just the way I can be driving and have great (for Delco BOSE) reception, then have a little bump and it goes out, screams connectivity or grounding to me.

WVZR-1 I agree that its probably worth an hour or so of my time to pull the rear wheel and molding to look and make sure the ground etc are good.

Thanks again for the help guys !
Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Big Bird 88
Instructor

So here is what I found.
Ground strap on the power antenna is good on both ends but it is a little corroded.. kinda blue ish copper fur on about half of one side.
Ran a separate ground and nothing changed, so I went digging.

I wanted to find the male / female connection in the area of the driver side rear speaker for the power antenna ( the mast connection) and found a coiled up approximately 3 foot long second, hideaway type antenna. IT is attached to a approx. 2 inch silver color box that is mounted under the hatch release. It was getting late and I did not want to dig further so here is the plan.

Locate the male, mast connection from the factory power antenna. Locate the female part of the antenna cable that goes from the head unit to that crappy silver antenna box.
I'm going to restore the factory antenna connection and then troubleshoot from there.

Has anyone ever seen or used one of those hideaway antennas before ?

Last edited by Big Bird 88; 05-03-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power antenna issue

Quick Reply: Power antenna issue