MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette

Old 05-06-2016, 02:29 PM
heinzeroth

Default MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette

In the process of converting over to a MAP sensor Dynamic EFI EBL ecm conversion. Searched the internet for different configurations of silicone turbo hose and others to take up the gap from removing the MAF sensor. I finally found a modest looking setup off Amazon, using Spectre Performance parts:

- C4 Smooth Air Intake Coupler Hose
Amazon.com: C4 Corvette Smooth Air Intake Coupler Hose Fits: 85 through 89 Corvettes: Automotive Amazon.com: C4 Corvette Smooth Air Intake Coupler Hose Fits: 85 through 89 Corvettes: Automotive

#9429 - 3" Aluminum Tube w/h 22 degree bend
Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 9429 3" 22° Aluminum Elbow: Automotive Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 9429 3" 22° Aluminum Elbow: Automotive

#9541 - 3 1/2" - 3" Black Silicone Reducer w/h clamps
Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 9541 Black 3.5"-3" Coupler/Reducer: Automotive Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 9541 Black 3.5"-3" Coupler/Reducer: Automotive

The 3 1/2" reducer will slide over the large plastic flange and can clamo on OD of air filter housing. Then push the 3" tube all the way into air filter housing and clamp over OD of tube. Other end slides into end of power coupler. No cutting, and almost a perfect fit!

Next I am going to install the: Cold Air Intake System, 1985-1989 SLP
http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...ystem-609013-1

88 C4 Corvette MAF sensor delete, Dynamic EBL ecm conversion air intake to a MAP sensor
Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 PM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

good work, what size is the throttle body ?
keep us updated as you go, I can see an EBL conversion in the future !
Old 05-07-2016, 12:24 PM
heinzeroth

Default MAF to MAP EBL ECM conversion

Originally Posted by blackozvet View Post
good work, what size is the throttle body ?
keep us updated as you go, I can see an EBL conversion in the future !
SBC 350 5.7L, BBK 58mm throttle body on a TPIS MiniRam intake w/h 30lb. injectors, ported and polished L98 alum heads w/h larger valves, TPIS ZZ409 Hyd. Roller Camshaft .520 lift, 2400 stall convertor, Melrose Headers and exhaust with Corvette Flowmaster Mufflers and their high flow cats.

I took out some tendons on my hand doing some remodeling in house and will not be able to do anything for 3-4 weeks - will keep you updated once I get going on this again.

Last edited by heinzeroth; 05-07-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 PM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by heinzeroth View Post
SBC 350 5.7L, BBK 58mm throttle body on a TPIS MiniRam intake w/h 30lb. injectors, ported and polished L98 alum heads w/h larger valves, TPIS ZZ409 Hyd. Roller Camshaft .520 lift, 2400 stall convertor, Melrose Headers and exhaust with Corvette Flowmaster Mufflers and their high flow cats.

I took out some tendons on my hand doing some remodeling in house and will not be able to do anything for 3-4 weeks - will keep you updated once I get going on this again.
sorry to hear that, houses can be more evil than c4's sometimes !
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Big Bird 88
CF Senior Member

Looks Great, might have to try it on my 88. Not many options I can find for cold air intake for the C4.

This may be a stupid question but doesn't your ECM throw a code or two when you bypass the MAF sensor ?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 PM
DanZ51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Bird 88 View Post
This may be a stupid question but doesn't your ECM throw a code or two when you bypass the MAF sensor ?
You missed this part.... http://www.dynamicefi.com/

Last edited by DanZ51; 05-09-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member

I fabricated a sheet metal filter housing with a 4" tube slightly flattened to match the throttle body shape. Eliminated the restriction in the neck over the radiator.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:57 AM
heinzeroth

Default EBL ECM Conversion 88 Corvette MAF to MAP

Guys this is the easiest, most cost effective way of updating a GM ...165 ECm known. Bobby at Dynamic makes it so easy a kid could do this conversion, and with a few tweaks using TunerPro RT, you can see amazing results. http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

Here are the steps I used:
1) Do the Maf to Map pipe conversion incorporating the SLP intake system listed above.
1) Order the Dynamic Ebl Ecm w/h port Mod option
2) Perform install:
2A) Install AEM Wide Band O2 sensor and GaGE p/n 30-4110 and sensor on Melrose Headers http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-headers-exhaust/
2B) Make EBL Pinout mods per install instructions
2c) Run white wire from WB O2 gage over to EBL Ecm and connect to ADL buss bar and set preferences in Whats Up Display of EBL Software.
2D) Open Whats Up Display of EBL software and open preferneces: set to WB (wide band O2) Min CTS 50 deg F. / Max 200F. smoothing Factor 5, enable knock alert sound, Gear Indicator : Auto 700R4, Temp Scale to F, Speedo Scale MPH, then set your tach and redline preferences , click OK.
For the 88 Corvette w/h port modified L98 Aluminum Heads I used the supplied EBL_F_3005.BIN: 5.7l TPI, auto (Port Mod)
2E) Install Map Sensor 1 bar and attach vaccum line from MiniRam Intake. (See Pics)
Here is a bracket I used to fasten to fender well http://www.banzai-racing.com/store/product843.html
Here is a link to MAP Sensor http://www.wbo2.com/faqs/mapsense.htm
Instruction from Bobby at Dynamic tell you how to use existing MALF wires to do conversion to Map Sensor

3) Now you have to open this bin in TunerProRT and edit some things:
3A) For my application using 31# injectors on a MiniRam Intake, I first opened the EBL utility and entered my data for engine specific info : MPFI, 8 cyl, 43.5 psi Fuel pressure, 31# injector flow rate, MAP Sensor Bar 1, and TunerPro ver. 5 , which gave me the table data to enter into the following tables:
I entered 134 values into these 2 tables: BPC - BPC vs. VAC and BST - BPC vs Boost under TunerPro Tables area. [COLOR="BLUE"]Note the EBL_F_3005.BIN is for stock 22# Injectors so YOU MAY have to divide 22/31 = .7097

The best way to compensate for a change in injector flow is to use the ratio of the old injector flow divided by the injector new flow rate. Using that ratio compensate the two AE PW tables (MAP & TPS). As an example, say that the 61 #/hr injectors are replaced with 80.5 #/hr injectors at 18 psi. The new flow rate is then 94.7 #/hr.Creating the ratio:

61 / 94.7 = 0.64

Go into your calibration editor and open the two AE PW tables. Multiply each entry by 0.64 (toolbox!). Save tables, save calibration (BIN). Done.

4) Using EBL WUD software turn key on for igintion with laptop connected to ECM and click on Display, select "Flash" and pick bank to flash new modified .bin from TunerProRT into EBL ECM: make sure you select Program Bank Options: Verify and Set Bank Active ; Select Bin from were you saved Bin from making Mods using Tuner Pro RT Bin listed above - CLICK APPLY!

5) If you get errors, you need to go back and try and different Comm Port.

6) If flash was successful, then shut key on ignition to OFF and wait 15 sec. then start motor! May have to work foot feet throttle a little to get motor started. Once started try to get to operating temp and move car slowly in the driveway a few times in drive and reverse. then stop.

7) Shut motor off and Go to EBL WUD and click on file, Datalog: set Datalog folder options and name file to save to.

8) Click Learn VE, prompts Bin to read from, select Bin modified from TunerPro and click OK, Then Prompts to Save a new Bin in which VE learns are applied to, name and select ( try using a name like Corvette_0001 and next time it will automatically change number to _0002 etc.

9) Start engine and move car slowly in driveway or down residential street while learning, after a few stops and starts from stop signs pull over. Important - Under file click Stop VE Learn and then stop Datalog.

10) Shut off car, then reflash ECM with the last BIN you just learned from Corvette_0001 etc. , then restart sequence again for VELearn and Datalog using different numbering Corvette _0002 etc. and drive car again increasing loads and MPH each time out driving. Eventfully getting to top speeds on highway and WOT throttle positions. About every 5 min I pull into a gas station and re-flaSH ebl ecm AGAIN WITH THE LEARNED BIN, then learn again severlal times under different engine loads. After about 5-7 times car will respond better each time.

11) May need to make SA spark advancement corrections to TunerPro tables after seeing knock sensor readings from EBL WUD software screens accordingly.

12) You should see the magic by now!

13) Lastly you will want to go back into TunnerPro and smooth tables, best way to do this, is by selecting all boxes - select smooth in top drop down box and put .5 in the value box then click execute - then save. This is the first pass of smoothing and should be done about 3 times. Smoothing in TunnerPro works from the top down and from left to right in allogrithims. On the sencond smoothing pass try selecting or highlighting the top row accross and smooth this time with .7 as a value - do it to all rows below it on e by one then go to left hand column and select from top top bottom and smooth again with .7 - then do each column to the right. when all done save then repopen and do the same provcedure again using .9 as a value. If you use the graphs button between each smooth you should see a transition beween valleys and hills of VE Tables. Don't forget to do the extended VE table as well.

14) Now do another learn session - should see sugnificant performance improvements. Then do a global smooth by selecting all and smoothing with a .8 value. After this Learn Session you will only see minimal learn values in the future and can just select a few areas around peaks in the table and smooth with a .7 value. Use your datalogs for modifications to knock counts for spark and AFR for VE tables. Lowering VE values leans out and adding richens fuel mixture.

CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I WANTED TO POUND MY OLD GM ...165 ECM INTO THE PAYMENT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER AFTER MAKING THIS CONVERSION!

1-Bar NAP Sensor mounter to inner fender well

Last edited by heinzeroth; 04-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:54 AM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the write up, good work !
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
JackDidley
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackozvet View Post
Thanks for the write up, good work !
Needs to be a stickie.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:28 PM
heinzeroth

Default EBL ECM Idling Rich TPI Intake

Initially after conversion, I found Idle to run rich in VE Learning, I found the biggest contributor to this factor lies in properly adjusting THROTTLE BODY idle adjustment under a "0" IAC, when engine is at operating temp.

In ECM parameters I set idle to 700rpm for IAC parameters, then while putting car in ALDL, while watching WUD (what's up display) with key on (no start mode) you should see the IAC drop to "0" Bar. Before turning key off, disconnect the 4-prong wire connector from IAC on intake manifold - then turn key off.

Hookup a reliable RPM Tach Gauge to distributor.

Start engine, may have to pump throttle, or turn screw on throttle body adjustment to get engine running. Then, set RPM idle to 100 RPM under idle settings in TunnerPro bin for IAC, adjusting idle screw on throttle body linkage. Once set, shut off engine! I set my idle to 600RPM. Shut engine off.

Now, with key on without starting engine, jump the "A" & "B" wires on TPS Sensor and adjust so it reads around .60 volts. Make sure to go buy a new Analog Volt Meter at Walmart fro $10 before hand, for I found my old voltmeter had been dropped or something and I had set it around .30 volts due to voltmeter damage in the past. THIS IS IMPOTANT!!!

After TPS Sensor is set, shut off ignition and reconnect IAC stepper and TPS Sensor connectors.

Now Go under IAC Parameters in TunnerPro and set minimum IAC steps between 10=20 steps, I set mine to 15 steps.

Flash new bin into ecm and do a VE learn for a couple of sessions and idle should start performing around the 13.5 - 14.7 AFR range.

Always reference Intro part 1 & 2 on Dynamic EBL Flash website first for preliminary bin settings beforehand!!! http://www.dynamicefi.com/Tune_Intro.php

Rad 88 Vette

Last edited by heinzeroth; 11-13-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:45 PM
856SPEED
CF Senior Member

Nice work!

I run an 85 with the Holley HP ECM, completely eliminated the OEM ECM. This is a MAP controlled system vs. MAF as well. The Holley is self learning and is very powerful compared the 870 or 165 units; understatement there. No more one year only MAF's relays, code 33 or 34 ....The 85 doesn't have VATS or computer controlled things I had to give up; just cruise control but I run a 6 speed with an aluminum FW. So that lead me to keep idle @1,000 RPM. That eliminates the ZF gear rattling at idle and to be honest the idle is smooth with the ZZ9 cam I run. Best upgrade ever on these early C4's! I eliminated a bunch of headaches and the car is dialed in running awesome!

This is an excellent thread, should be stickied, agreed!!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 PM
heinzeroth

Default Dynamic EBL Flash Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette

Originally Posted by heinzeroth View Post
Guys this is the easiest, most cost effective way of updating a GM ...165 ECm known. Bobby at Dynamic makes it so easy a kid could do this conversion, and with a few tweaks using TunerPro RT, you can see amazing results. http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

Here are the steps I used:
1) Do the Maf to Map pipe conversion incorporating the SLP intake system listed above.
1) Order the Dynamic Ebl Ecm w/h port Mod option
2) Perform install:
2A) Install AEM Wide Band O2 sensor and GaGE p/n 30-4110 and sensor on Melrose Headers http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-headers-exhaust/
2B) Make EBL Pinout mods per install instructions
2c) Run white wire from WB O2 gage over to EBL Ecm and connect to ADL buss bar and set preferences in Whats Up Display of EBL Software.
2D) Open Whats Up Display of EBL software and open preferneces: set to WB (wide band O2) Min CTS 50 deg F. / Max 200F. smoothing Factor 5, enable knock alert sound, Gear Indicator : Auto 700R4, Temp Scale to F, Speedo Scale MPH, then set your tach and redline preferences , click OK.
For the 88 Corvette w/h port modified L98 Aluminum Heads I used the supplied EBL_F_3005.BIN: 5.7l TPI, auto (Port Mod)
2E) Install Map Sensor 1 bar and attach vaccum line from MiniRam Intake. (See Pics)
Here is a bracket I used to fasten to fender well http://www.banzai-racing.com/store/product843.html
Here is a link to MAP Sensor http://www.wbo2.com/faqs/mapsense.htm
Instruction from Bobby at Dynamic tell you how to use existing MALF wires to do conversion to Map Sensor

3) Now you have to open this bin in TunerProRT and edit some things:
3A) For my application using 31# injectors on a MiniRam Intake, I first opened the EBL utility and entered my data for engine specific info : MPFI, 8 cyl, 43.5 psi Fuel pressure, 31# injector flow rate, MAP Sensor Bar 1, and TunerPro ver. 5 , which gave me the table data to enter into the following tables:
I entered 134 values into these 2 tables: BPC - BPC vs. VAC and BST - BPC vs Boost under TunerPro Tables area. [COLOR="BLUE"]Note the EBL_F_3005.BIN is for stock 22# Injectors so YOU MAY have to divide 22/31 = .7097

The best way to compensate for a change in injector flow is to use the ratio of the old injector flow divided by the injector new flow rate. Using that ratio compensate the two AE PW tables (MAP & TPS). As an example, say that the 61 #/hr injectors are replaced with 80.5 #/hr injectors at 18 psi. The new flow rate is then 94.7 #/hr.Creating the ratio:

61 / 94.7 = 0.64

Go into your calibration editor and open the two AE PW tables. Multiply each entry by 0.64 (toolbox!). Save tables, save calibration (BIN). Done.

4) Using EBL WUD software turn key on for igintion with laptop connected to ECM and click on Display, select "Flash" and pick bank to flash new modified .bin from TunerProRT into EBL ECM: make sure you select Program Bank Options: Verify and Set Bank Active ; Select Bin from were you saved Bin from making Mods using Tuner Pro RT Bin listed above - CLICK APPLY!

5) If you get errors, you need to go back and try and different Comm Port.

6) If flash was successful, then shut key on ignition to OFF and wait 15 sec. then start motor! May have to work foot feet throttle a little to get motor started. Once started try to get to operating temp and move car slowly in the driveway a few times in drive and reverse. then stop.

7) Shut motor off and Go to EBL WUD and click on file, Datalog: set Datalog folder options and name file to save to.

8) Click Learn VE, prompts Bin to read from, select Bin modified from TunerPro and click OK, Then Prompts to Save a new Bin in which VE learns are applied to, name and select ( try using a name like Corvette_0001 and next time it will automatically change number to _0002 etc.

9) Start engine and move car slowly in driveway or down residential street while learning, after a few stops and starts from stop signs pull over. Important - Under file click Stop VE Learn and then stop Datalog.

10) Shut off car, then reflash ECM with the last BIN you just learned from Corvette_0001 etc. , then restart sequence again for VELearn and Datalog using different numbering Corvette _0002 etc. and drive car again increasing loads and MPH each time out driving. Eventfully getting to top speeds on highway and WOT throttle positions. About every 5 min I pull into a gas station and re-flaSH ebl ecm AGAIN WITH THE LEARNED BIN, then learn again severlal times under different engine loads. After about 5-7 times car will respond better each time.

11) May need to make SA spark advancement corrections to TunerPro tables after seeing knock sensor readings from EBL WUD software screens accordingly.

12) You should see the magic by now!

13) Lastly you will want to go back into TunnerPro and smooth tables, best way to do this, is by selecting all boxes - select smooth in top drop down box and put .5 in the value box then click execute - then save. This is the first pass of smoothing and should be done about 3 times. Smoothing in TunnerPro works from the top down and from left to right in allogrithims. On the sencond smoothing pass try selecting or highlighting the top row accross and smooth this time with .7 as a value - do it to all rows below it on e by one then go to left hand column and select from top top bottom and smooth again with .7 - then do each column to the right. when all done save then repopen and do the same provcedure again using .9 as a value. If you use the graphs button between each smooth you should see a transition beween valleys and hills of VE Tables. Don't forget to do the extended VE table as well.

14) Now do another learn session - should see sugnificant performance improvements. Then do a global smooth by selecting all and smoothing with a .8 value. After this Learn Session you will only see minimal learn values in the future and can just select a few areas around peaks in the table and smooth with a .7 value. Use your datalogs for modifications to knock counts for spark and AFR for VE tables. Lowering VE values leans out and adding richens fuel mixture.

CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I WANTED TO POUND MY OLD GM ...165 ECM INTO THE PAYMENT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER AFTER MAKING THIS CONVERSION!

1-Bar NAP Sensor mounter to inner fender well
Here is the spark tables and VE tables for my 88 C4 Corvette with .525 lift cam, 30lb injectors, TPIS MiniRam Intake, 700R4 automatic trans, 343 Dana 44 gear rearend.

SA Spark Tables - L98 Alum Ported 2.02 Int Heads - 30lb Inj.

Ve Low Speed Tables

VE High Speed/Extended Speed Tables

30lb Fuel Inj Correction EBL Flash - 88 Corvette

EBL Flash Map Correction - 30lb inj @ 43psi fuel pressure
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 PM
heinzeroth

Default Dynamic EBL Flash ECM Conversion Update... '88 C4 Corvette

November 2018
Recently switched my fuel injectors to BOSCH "Redtops" rated 34lbs @ 43.5psi - afterward I experienced stumble popping at 50mph TCC Lockup and had to dig into this Monster again.Of course I changed the BPC - BPC vs Vac & BST - BPC vs Boost(2-bar) values to 122 . Remember that the base line bin was the 3006.bin which is setup for 22lb injectors for the 5.7L alum heads Corvette (Port). This can be calculated in the EBL software and then changing the values for the listed tables in TunerPro software. I also had to back down the AE - MAP PW & AE TPS PW values by 35% roughly - under TunerPro tables multiply all highlighted values by .65 (65%). This is like the powershot pump setting found on carburetors. It actually leans out the powershot mode since using bigger injectors the spray is too much now, so we correct for the larger size by going to smaller numbers in these tables. Car is running better now and at about a 75% load on injectors at WOT. But, still getting a slight stumble now and then at 50mph TCC Lockup on torque convertor.

Did some major research on timing and injectors - specifically terminology on injector latency, lag time, or dead time in the injector world which lead me to http://injector-rehab.com/shop/lag.html after doing more research I found some companies are offering Data Match flow reports on fuel injectors for serious people looking for optimal fine tuning of fuel injectors. Most fuel injector companies give you the 14.4 or 12 volt latency numbers for you to plug into TunerPro tables, but you really need all voltages of latency for the lower volts control the idle to 2000 rpm range in which control how long the injector spray is on - thing of it as timing for AFR. And yes it is the secrete to the EBL running rich at idle. I contacted Bobby at Dynamic about this after doing research and found this is the last thing racers do to optimize the fuel injection circuits throughout the RPM ranges. We could only find the Ford data on redtop BOSCH so I used this data provided by Bobby - otherwise you will have to try getting hold of a BOSCH technician in Michigan over the phone - not easy to do.

Offset Compensation versus Battery Voltage:
6.4 Volts: 2954 usec Also use this value at all voltages under 6.4V
8.0 Volts: 1749 usec
9.6 Volts: 1196 usec
11.2 Volts: 882 usec
12.8 Volts: 675 usec
14.4 Volts: 497 usec
15.0 Volts: 462 usec* Extrapolate to the higher voltages (use TunerPro graph)

Small PW Compensation versus Pulse Width: Zero this table, all entries.

So, in TunerPro you want the INJ - Injector Correction Offset table to load in the values to the voltages. * Note that values are in microseconds and most tables found on internet like link above are show milliseconds - you just multiple milliseconds by 1000 = microseconds usec for TunerPro tables. The larger the number the longer it takes to open the injectors at that voltage. So, 14volts comes in around 70mph or so on the highway. Then you clear all offset values in the INJ - Small PW Correction - PORT Only tables. I immediately had problems with the car dying on me on cold startup and once warmed up it only wanted to idle at 600 rpm, so I added larger numbers in lower voltages until it idled at 700 rpm again and ran a lot better going down the road. Here is the table I ended up with.

Then I got wrapped around SA Latency throughout all this research and found this forum posting: A guy claims GM fictitiously provides skewed data for distributor ecm setting from factory and proved his settings at all degrees with a timing light. What the hell! https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ncy-table.html
OK, so I used his settings with mu High Output DUI distributor and got a much smoother running motor which screams to 7000rpm with what is a much more accurate timing curve.
My base timing on distributor is set to 15 deg BTDC.

Well off to find new roads to data log on - until next time!
Ben

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Nov 2018 Table Values.docx (218.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by heinzeroth; 11-04-2018 at 11:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to heinzeroth For This Useful Post:
Yariv (11-14-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I'm thinking of changing my '89 to SD... it sounds like you need to swap the ECM to accomplish that? And the EBL is the quickest/cheapest way to do that? Sorry for the newB question in this good, techy thread.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Matt81
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
I'm thinking of changing my '89 to SD... it sounds like you need to swap the ECM to accomplish that? And the EBL is the quickest/cheapest way to do that? Sorry for the newB question in this good, techy thread.
Another method for chip burning/programming is to use some hardware. I went this route when installing fuel injection on my 78, and using it again on fine tuning my 88. The best solution under this method is the Autoprom from Moates.net. It is an all-in-one chip burner, emulator and ALDL cable. The other piece you would need to purchase is a G1 adapter kit, which includes the chips and an adapter to mount inside the ECM. Once you have those items, you use the Tunerpro software to modify the chip program (.bin file). There are lots of resources out there on programming, Thirdgen.org has the most detailed info. A lot of it is old with busted links, but most of the info is still relevant.

The upside of the EBL over the Autoprom method, as I understand it, is that you can reinstall your ECM behind the dash and just have a UBS cable tucked discretely away until you want to update the program again. With the Autoprom, you need to drop the ECM down and hook the devices together, then hook in your laptop. Not a terrible task, but not as easy as the EBL. However, I've found that once I get a program dialed in, I rarely - if ever - go back in and tweak it.

The downside of the EBL is that it is only good for one vehicle. If you buy another car that you want to tune, you'll need to purchase another EBL unit. With the Autoprom, you only need another chip adapter and chip.

Cost wise, the EBL is $450 + $10 shipping.
Autoprom is $329, G1 Adapter Kit is $55 + $9 shipping ($393 total)

For a budget solution, you can use a basic EEPROM programmer like here (ebay) for $40 and buy the G1 adapter from Moates for $55. You'll also need the ALDU1 and CABL1 from his site for $80, plus the $9 shipping. There are other routes you could take for a lower cost cable if you do some searching, including building your own. With the budget solution, you lose the ability to emulate, which means you can tune the car on the fly without having to go back to your garage and burn a chip with the new changes. The emulating was a nice feature when converting the 78 to fuel injection as I was starting from scratch with the fuel and spark tables. However, depending on budget, not as vital a part of the process.

I've had a good time learning the innards of the chip programming and how the different tables all work together.

Are you looking to program your Vette Kart? I discovered your post last week and spent a few nights reading the whole thing. Mad skills.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Thanks for posting. Thanks for the props on the Kart. It's been fun, so far.

Yes, this is for the Kart. Mostly, I want to convert it from MAF to speed density and the biggest reason why I want to do that is to get rid of the the big "Dong" hanging off the front of the motor (the snorkel and MAF) and then I could have a simple filter solution on the TB. Eventually I'll get to engine mods, however and then re-tuning would be required.

So can a MAF ECM be re-used for SD with only reprogramming or burning of the/a chip?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Matt81
CF Senior Member

This article from thirdgen.org goes longest detail on the swap. Swap Article

Does look like it requires a different ECM and some pinout changes, so a little more involved, but nothing major. The 1227730 ECM referenced in the article came in a slew of cars from late 80s to early 90s. Such memorable examples as the Olds Ciera, Buick Centry and the like. I bet you could grab the computer and wiring harnesses formless than $25. That seems to be the rate at the salvage yard i go to nearby.

With some mods to the motherboard, you could use a 16197427 which came in every GM truck and SUV thru most of the 90s. Lots more processing power and plenty of support online. I don't recall if your Kart is an auto or manual, but the 7427 could also end up controlling a 4L60e trans if you ended up wanting to go that route.

I used a 7427 in my 78 FI conversion and have a modified one ready to go for my TPI swap.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Matt81
CF Senior Member

I need to admit to a bias towards the chip programmer option - I am a die-hard roll-your-own kind of DIYer. Here is the link to my FI project. Link

Despite the release of some fairly affordable FI options from Holley and Fitech, I wanted to build my setup from GM OEM parts. Why? Just to see if I could do it and how cheaply it could be done.

Just wanted to provide full disclosure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt81 For This Useful Post:
Tom400CFI (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I appreciate it! Thanks for the links and info. Good reading, ahead!

-Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: