C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Selecting the right head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Selecting the right head gasket

1985 C4. I bought the Fel-pro gasket kit and the head gasket set is 7733PT2. This is listed as having a compressed height of .039. Everything I see online is around .04 or so. I read on a website that the OEM gasket for a 1985 L98 C4 is .021. Don't I want to use the OEM thickness?

The old head gasket had been replaced and the edge is .033.

I read that the OEM gaskets were a metal shim type and were not durable. I don't know anything about gaskets, so I have no idea what to order. I'd like to get something closer to .021. Anyone familiar with Victor Reinz 1178BS? Thanks

Last edited by BlueTwoToneCorvette; 05-15-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

hi two tone, i just finished mh 85. i used the same kit you referenced. worked excellent.

the oem i belive were actually .015. metal shim. felpro 1094.

in the end, i used the one in the kit u referenced cause it was less hassle and i did shave a smidge off doing my head machining which i did by hand.

fwiw, i used hylomar everywhere. worked great!

Originally Posted by BlueTwoToneCorvette
1985 C4. I bought the Fel-pro gasket kit and the head gasket set is 7733PT2. This is listed as having a compressed height of .039. Everything I see online is around .04 or so. I read on a website that the OEM gasket for a 1985 L98 C4 is .021. Don't I want to use the OEM thickness?

I read that the OEM gaskets were a metal shim type and were not durable. I don't know anything about gaskets, so I have no idea what to order. I'd like to get something closer to .021. Anyone familiar with Victor Reinz 1178BS? Thanks

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 05-15-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTwoToneCorvette

I just finished the head gaskets on my 85. FWIW, I used the fel-pro 7733PT2 as my replacements. you are correct on the .039 compressed thickness, and somewhat wrong on the OE steel shim as being reliable - mine lasted almost 30 years. anyway, by using the thicker fel-pro 7733PT2's, you'll loose approximately .5 on the compression ratio - performance wise, YOU'LL NEVER FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. my 85 is as strong as ever - even with 155K miles on the clock. unless you're tracking the car, in competition, and looking for every ounce of HP and torque, any quality head gasket will work just fine. just make sure all surfaces are clean and flat (within specs), and go for it. BTW, I recommend new ARP head bolts and sealant. no need to over think this....
Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe C
I just finished the head gaskets on my 85. FWIW, I used the fel-pro 7733PT2 as my replacements. you are correct on the .039 compressed thickness, and somewhat wrong on the OE steel shim as being reliable - mine lasted almost 30 years. anyway, by using the thicker fel-pro 7733PT2's, you'll loose approximately .5 on the compression ratio - performance wise, YOU'LL NEVER FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. my 85 is as strong as ever - even with 155K miles on the clock. unless you're tracking the car, in competition, and looking for every ounce of HP and torque, any quality head gasket will work just fine. just make sure all surfaces are clean and flat (within specs), and go for it. BTW, I recommend new ARP head bolts and sealant. no need to over think this....
^^^^ joe was one of the guys who walked me through mine. great advice. i was just short on money so i reused mine.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:56 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

You used the hylomar on the felpro blue head gaskets?

I thought sealant was only needed on the thin metal shim type like the felpro 1094?

I looked up the felpro 1094 it said it was extra thin .015 for raising compression. It's not expensive, I would try it to get the compression back to stock levels. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

pretty sure im the only one who has used hylomar.

i did it because i read everything i clould and it still made sense for me. i did my own manual head decking, and i wanted to have a sealant of some sort, hylomar came out on top for in mh analysis for a few reasons.

time will tell if it was smart or not.

the manufacturers all have thier recommendations, i dont know if any recommend coatings of any type. yet people still use the copper or aluminum spray. some use hylomar. some use nothing. hylomar is the "most forgiving" and as i am a noob it was my first time, i wanted a sealant that--if i had to open it up again--it wouldnt be a huge pita, hylomar is re-usaeble.

turns out i did have to go into the valve covers again as i did my lash too tight. the hylomar and cork (yeah, cork) worked excellent. it came aprt, and went back together, easily with no cleanup or mess.

lots of different ways!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:05 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

I ordered this. It came marked as Victor Rientz. $20 each. I was surprised to find that it was an identical match to what I took off the engine.

Clevite CLE-5746
Head Gasket, Nitroseal, 4.125 in. Bore, .026 in. Compressed Thickness, Chevy, Small Block, Each
(Mfr. #: 5746)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm changing out my 89. The SPECS tell me it was a .21. I went to chev dealer and he order me one out of their corvette part book, but it's .51. I had him recheck , and he told me that's the correct one. I'm confused, I only want to do this one time and I don't want to lose any compression
Old 05-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
I'm changing out my 89. The SPECS tell me it was a .21. I went to chev dealer and he order me one out of their corvette part book, but it's .51. I had him recheck , and he told me that's the correct one. I'm confused, I only want to do this one time and I don't want to lose any compression
BTW, its .021 and .051, not .21 and .51. my thought is the thicker replacement gaskets allow for a machine shop milling the heads for flatness. trust me, even if you don't run your heads through a shop, and you use the .051 you'll never feel the difference in compression or performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Selecting the right head gasket

Quick Reply: Selecting the right head gasket