C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking to jump cooling fan of Corvette C4 1988

Old 05-24-2016, 12:48 PM
tuned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I don't see where it's been mentioned by the OP that the car has the AUX FAN. That switch is intended for an AUX FAN. Could the OP defeat the ECM control? Yes. Is that what you intended to happen?
Yes sir. I'd like to jump both the primary and auxiliary fan on james' car so they run all the time
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Both relays are controlled by ground. You can run a switch with one side grounded and the other side to the neg terminal of the primary side of relay, and control the fans with the switch.
If you want fans on with ignition on, just ground the primary negative terminal of both relays.
The wire in question, is green on both relays.
The following users liked this post:
tuned (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a diagram with a double pole double throw switch.

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/85%20Cooling%20Fan.gif
The following 2 users liked this post by AGENT 86:
Joe C (05-24-2016), tuned (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 PM
tuned
Advanced

Default great point!

Originally Posted by exitwound
220 is WAY too hot. If the fan fails, you'll hit 260+, dump all the coolant like a WW2 fighter with a radiator hit and red warning lamps before you can blink, I know, ..been there!

I have a 160 thermostat and one of these..

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...ler-thermostat you make a great point here! I've seen that before. Matt is a first time c4 owner. I don't want to see that happen to him.

Now my fan comes on at 175 and I never see any higher than 185.
Matt is a first time c4 owner.i don't want this scenario to happen to him
Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM
tuned
Advanced

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Here is a diagram with a double pole double throw switch.

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/85%20Cooling%20Fan.gif
Agent 86 you are DA MAN! This is exactly what I was looking for. Yo,matthew. We got what we need sir thanks to this gentleman who knows how to weed through the bs!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM
tuned
Advanced

Default I run at least an 8.7 eighth before expensive mods.

Originally Posted by Benny42
OP seemed a bit rude with the comments he directed at the first few replies. So I offered the "why don't you search for it yourself" thing. I may have been to abrupt with the noob.
YOUR the one who has been rude and insulting not me. And as far as the noob comment I'm not getting butt hurt over it because it's far from reality. I've had a c4 for the past 12 years. I've daily driven it and my engine has 235,000 miles and has beautiful compression. I know my ****. I was trying to teach the 18 year old man -matthew ,or OP as u call it on how to start a post. He's working on his car with my tools and I make him do almost all the work and I teach him and don't charge him nothing. That's what a true C4 guy does. Not troll a post and call somebody else a troll. U ever raced ur car down the track? What time did u run? I'm gonna take a guess on this ONE-U DON'T RACE. Even if u do race at the track I bet ur mouth runs faster :

Last edited by tuned; 05-24-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:00 PM
tuned
Advanced

Default just to clarify

Both relays are controlled by ground. You can run a switch with one side grounded and the other side to the neg terminal of the primary side of relay, and control the fans with the switch.
If you want fans on with ignition on, just ground the primary negative terminal of both relays.
I have a 1990 c4. I jumped my cooling fans. It was a grounded circuit like u said above. I did not realize OP'S 88 was also. I haven't really looked at it yet cuz we have been to busy with the throttle body bypass and dropping in a 160stat!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Jameronies
I want to make my cooling fan run whenever the engine is running rather than having it turn on at around 220, how would i go about doing so?

I know that the fan has a positive relay but am not quite sure on how to go about pulling this off correctly.

Any suggestions?
There is a relay located up on the radiator shroud, with four wires running to it. This relay turns on the aux fan, ground the small green wire coming out of the connector and that will run the fan as long as the key is on.

Next there is a relay located on the drivers side inner fender under the master cylinder, it has the same four wires running to it, again ground the small green wire and the fan will run as long as the key is on.

To make this a little better you could run those wires inside the cabin and install a switch that will allow you to turn the fans on and off whenever you feel the need.

You could also have this adjusted in the tune and have the main fan turn on earlier and then tie both green wires together so both fans come on together.

Last edited by bjankuski; 05-24-2016 at 05:07 PM.
tuned (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Sorry, I did not see this post when I responded with mine, I basically wrote the same thing.
tuned (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:59 PM
tuned
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjankuski
There is a relay located up on the radiator shroud, with four wires running to it. This relay turns on the aux fan, ground the small green wire coming out of the connector and that will run the fan as long as the key is on.

Next there is a relay located on the drivers side inner fender under the master cylinder, it has the same four wires running to it, again ground the small green wire and the fan will run as long as the key is on.

To make this a little better you could run those wires inside the cabin and install a switch that will allow you to turn the fans on and off whenever you feel the need.

You could also have this adjusted in the tune and have the main fan turn on earlier and then tie both green wires together so both fans come on together.
dude, that is awesome. I like how u put yourself into showing/teaching. Do u wanna be my friend?lmao. I could figure out all this stuff on my own eventually. It just makes no sense to sweat when there are intelligent people like yourself to help the OP. I'm trying to help him too but it's been a couple of years since I did the cooling fan jump on an 85-89. Have a great day!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
tuned
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Sorry, I did not see this post when I responded with mine, I basically wrote the same thing.
it's ok! ME LIKEY! This post even about me. It is for Matthews car!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
220 is WAY too hot. If the fan fails, you'll hit 260+, dump all the coolant like a WW2 fighter with a radiator hit and red warning lamps before you can blink, I know, ..been there!

I have a 160 thermostat and one of these..

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...ler-thermostat

Now my fan comes on at 175 and I never see any higher than 185.
If the fan fails you may hit 260 regardless of thermostat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to jump cooling fan of Corvette C4 1988