C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Rear Hatch release wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM
NascarDad
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1989 Rear Hatch release wiring

I have a 1989 Convertible and when the owner before me put in a new radio and speakers for some reason he decided to rip out the rear hatch release switches that were in the door.

The release button under the convertible hatch and the one in the center console are both still there but not functional (no click, nothing). After looking at the wiring diagrams for this system I'm pretty sure it's not going to work without some sort of re-wire of those door switches. I am having trouble finding door switches so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for "wiring around" the fact there are no door switches?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

On my car (1986) the center console button works only when the shifter is in Park or Neutral (auto trans). According to my wiring diagram, if you have a manual trans the emergency brake must be on for the button to work. Do either of these scenarios apply to you?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:00 AM
NascarDad
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an auto and the car is in park. Neither button works (no click either). The wiring diagram I have for the 89 has it also tied into door buttons that I think since they are not even there that the entire circuit is broken. The door ones are also tied into the courtesy light or something. But again - no buttons in the door.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Rear Hatch release wiring

Quick Reply: 1989 Rear Hatch release wiring