C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 bad injector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1994 bad injector?

I finished my build after having my car on jack stands for nearly five months. Lloyd Elliot LE2 build, Lunati cam, full roller rockers, lifters and pushrods, TPIS LT, true duals. Vehicle has 49k but I replaced virtually everything, 3000 stall TC, coil, ICM, opti with AIP from Sac City, taylor wires, BoschIII 32#, new o2 sensors, new water pump, etc,etc. To get to the point, I fired it up and it was running very rich, some dark smoke from driver's side exhaust (true duals). Also very rich smell from drivers side. Idle was very rough, not from cam, from fouling. I immediately was thinking "damned opti."
I have driven it about 10 miles, thinking maybe it will work itself out LOL.
Tonight I got home late, but pulled plugs to look at them. #1 is fouled, with dark deposits on it, wet. All others are normal. Wires are on right plugs and seated tight. Oil appears normal, no gasoline smell. I haven't pulled codes, yet, tomorrow I hope. But, I'm thinking a bad . If it was an opti, or coil or bad ICM I wouldn't expect just one fouled plug. Any thoughts. Be kind, this is my first build since 1971., and I'm learning
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

With it running tap the offending injector. If you need new get a set from Jon at FIC for a great deal.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

You listed a pretty extensive upgrade list. What about your 94 PCM calibration? AKA tune. To control / tame. such mods.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 05-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
With it running tap the offending injector. If you need new get a set from Jon at FIC for a great deal.
I bought my injectors from Jon. I told him what was going on. He said it is definitely a bad injector. He is over-nighting a new injector to me. He really desreves all the accolades he gets on the forum.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrodoc
I bought my injectors from Jon. I told him what was going on. He said it is definitely a bad injector. He is over-nighting a new injector to me. He really desreves all the accolades he gets on the forum.
I sent my PCM to PCM for less. I may get a dyno tune down the road. For now, I just wanted to get it running and get any bugs worked out.
Speaking of "bugs" here's a word to the wise. I bought all new plugs to install after the build. The box said pre-gapped. I couldn't find my guage, so figured, what the heck, and installed them, I was in a hurry to fire it up. I bought a guage (all of $2.59) I checked my plugs last night, they were all over .060. They were pre-gapped alright, just the wrong gap. My impatience. I should have checked. Lesson learned.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mrodoc
Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Glad Jon is helping you out. For future reference, you can always move the "suspected" faulty injector to another cylinder and see if that corresponding spark plug also fouls out.
The following users liked this post:
mrodoc (05-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 bad injector?

Quick Reply: 1994 bad injector?