C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Cruise Control is brain-dead.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 85 Cruise Control is brain-dead.

I purchased this car less than a year ago and have fixed a large list of things wrong with it. I'm now down to three things.

I have changed ALL the vacuum lines.

I have checked all the switches and servo to make sure they are operating.

I have narrowed it down to the control module, but cannot find it.

Eckler's manual is missing section 8A

I keep reading "Instrument Cluster" and I'm afraid that this is not a separate module.. am I correct?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Cruise module is part of cluster, not a separate part
The following users liked this post:
MSGT-R (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Some clusters have support for the CC and some don't (came from car without the option). Your's could have been swapped.
MSGT-R (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Dammit, I was afraid of that..
Thanks for the info, guys. I guess I'll wait until the snow falls, then send in the cluster for that refurbishing service.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:14 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CC servo mounted above the battery, and the control module, part of that assembly? on my 85, what i'm calling the CC servo assembly, has two vacuum lines - one going thru the dash to, i'm assuming, the brake pedal assembly, and the other over to the RH side of the plenum to a twin port check valve connected to the plenum (the other port of the check valve goes the to the HVAC control). what's with the instrument cluster? am I missing something here, or am I not understanding this thread???

Last edited by Joe C; 07-17-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CC servo mounted above the battery, and the control module, part of that assembly? on my 85, what i'm calling the CC servo assembly, has two vacuum lines - one going thru the dash to, i'm assuming, the brake pedal assembly, and the other over to the RH side of the plenum to a twin port check valve connected to the plenum (the other port of the check valve goes the to the HVAC control). what's with the instrument cluster? am I missing something here, or am I not understanding this thread???
OP has mentioned MODULE so ...............

The CLUSTER is either for a car with CRUISE or a car less CRUISE. No one knows exactly where the OP is with his diagnostics BUT he mentions "MODULE" so if in fact he's at that point in his diagnostics then maybe very likely he has a CLUSTER/less CRUISE OR he maybe just doesn't understand the diagnostics.

OP mentions missing 8A in his service documents from Eckler's. I don't know what he's purchased but the '85 FSM I believe just has a NOTE Electrical wiring/diagrams "rear of book". There's NOT an 8A section per se ..

The 8A wiring is quite specific in diagnostics as to checking particular voltages at various pins etc.

Is the CLUSTER the OP's problem? Can't be determined from what he's mentioned NOT knowing what diagnostics he's done.

8C -Instrument cluster doesn't call it a "module" but references the IP control of. It also says see 8A.

Originally Posted by MSGT-R
Dammit, I was afraid of that..
Thanks for the info, guys. I guess I'll wait until the snow falls, then send in the cluster for that refurbishing service.
Have you had your cluster removed and did you notice any labels on it if you did?

Did you purchase a .pdf from Ecklers's? If you did the electrical section should appear in the "Table of Contents" as in "rear of book". The '85 8A section I don't believe is broken down in "CELLS" but only an alphabetical circuit list with reference to a PAGE.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-17-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP has mentioned MODULE so ...............

The CLUSTER is either for a car with CRUISE or a car less CRUISE. No one knows exactly where the OP is with his diagnostics BUT he mentions "MODULE" so if in fact he's at that point in his diagnostics then maybe very likely he has a CLUSTER/less CRUISE OR he maybe just doesn't understand the diagnostics.

OP mentions missing 8A in his service documents from Eckler's. I don't know what he's purchased but the '85 FSM I believe just has a NOTE Electrical wiring/diagrams "rear of book". There's NOT an 8A section per se ..

The 8A wiring is quite specific in diagnostics as to checking particular voltages at various pins etc.

Is the CLUSTER the OP's problem? Can't be determined from what he's mentioned NOT knowing what diagnostics he's done.

8C -Instrument cluster doesn't call it a "module" but references the IP control of. It also says see 8A.

Have you had your cluster removed and did you notice any labels on it if you did?

Did you purchase a .pdf from Ecklers's? If you did the electrical section should appear in the "Table of Contents" as in "rear of book". The '85 8A section I don't believe is broken down in "CELLS" but only an alphabetical circuit list with reference to a PAGE.
OK, now I understand - there can be two IP clusters - one for cruise, one for non-cruise equipped. makes sense. for some reason, I thought CC was standard equipment, but it looks like cruise control (RPO K34) was an option in 96.6% of production. if the op has the original cluster, chances are its a cruise version. BTW, "HE" is actually a "SHE" -

(OP) -- I have read that the electronics module on the CC servo can be problematic. here's one on-line article addressing the subject...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/82001/
MSGT-R (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OK, now I understand - BTW, "HE" is actually a "SHE" -
I don't check "profiles" and only commented on the OP's post. I'm not familiar with the OP so ........ OP my apologies if I flubbed, substitute he/she and his/hers where needed!!

I'd think that maybe the OP maybe confirm first that the cluster is a "correct for car" and options cluster before sending her's out for a "refurbish". The label on the cluster I believe is top of cluster right side above ODO. I don't believe it would require complete removal to maybe get the number or letter code. Label location maybe changes year to year, I've only had a couple "in hand".

If the cluster is "other than" correct for the car and already "refurbished" then maybe it would be wise to acquire a correct cluster to start with.

I'd maybe ask Bryan (Batee.com) if he can maybe add the CRUISE function to a cluster that's missing it IF yours has no other issues. If your display is BRIGHT and all else works.

OP - if you actually don't have the Electrical Diagnostics section of the FSM drop me an email or PM and I can help you.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.
MSGT-R (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:58 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

That's okay guys, I'm sure I'm still in the wrench-turning minority when it comes to gender..

I've been doing this for decades, just not on this type of car. Once upon a time I was an ASE triple Master, then I got off that merry-go-round.

The Service Manual Wiring Diagram section has every pin call-out for voltage or resistance, but it keeps saying not to check the solid state in the IP. One of the paragraphs refers to a deeper understanding of the cruise in Section 8A, but my book is missing that chapter - a little frustrating.

Section 9C, Controller Module:
The Controller Module is built into the instrument cluster. If the control module is at fault, the instrument cluster must be removed.
* For removal, see Section 8C
* For Diagnosis, see Section 8A

Every other car I've ever worked on had the cruise brain separate; I guess this type doesn't. Don't know if the cluster has ever been changed, I don't even know how many people have owned this car in the past. I can tell you that I keep seeing those crimped on piggy-backs all over under there, and that makes me nervous.

After I get back from my trip, I'll take the dash pad off and look for a label on the cluster.

Last edited by MSGT-R; 07-17-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:06 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I purchased this car less than a year ago and have fixed a large list of things wrong with it. I'm now down to three things.

I have changed ALL the vacuum lines.

I have checked all the switches and servo to make sure they are operating.

I have narrowed it down to the control module, but cannot find it.

I keep reading "Instrument Cluster" and I'm afraid that this is not a separate module.. am I correct?
Hi are you 100% sure the brake pedal cruise control switches are good ?

I had a faulty one see pictures below, also adjusting the brake switch to pedal right is a bit tricky. Visit www.batee.com for cluster repair.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

Yeah, I tested all that stuff individually.

Testing the stalk on the column was a little difficult, I needed another pair of hands to actuate the functions while I ran the multimeter. My husband is good for that.

In his defense, he's a woodworker.

Last edited by MSGT-R; 07-17-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

(OP) -- I have read that the electronics module on the CC servo can be problematic. here's one on-line article addressing the subject...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/82001/
Thank you, those are some great pictures.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

FYI:
I called Ecklers to ask questions about their cluster rebuild service. The rebuild guys DO NOT check for the cruise control function, just deal with the LEDs..

I stumbled upon a local guy that has been parting-out C4s for decades and does an internet business. He has lots of IPs and will work with me on this when I'm ready to pull mine out of the car.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 AM
Joe C
Race Director

FYI:
I called Ecklers to ask questions about their cluster rebuild service. The rebuild guys DO NOT check for the cruise control function, just deal with the LEDs..

I stumbled upon a local guy that has been parting-out C4s for decades and does an internet business. He has lots of IPs and will work with me on this when I'm ready to pull mine out of the car.
not sure where you're at in the troubleshooting, but before you jump in with both feet and pull the IP cluster, you might want to check this out...

http://www.batee.com/articles.html

http://www.batee.com/corvette/cruiserepair/

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/s..._services.html

Last edited by Joe C; 08-01-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Wow, thanks!

I've checked both fuses, the power to the fuses, done all the ohms checks to the servo, the column switch and the brake switch. Everything checks out okay. While under there, I'm seeing a lot of harness splices.. That is what I'll be checking this winter. Someone has been playing around in there in the past.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Cruise Control is brain-dead.

Quick Reply: 85 Cruise Control is brain-dead.