C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel leak - vac leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:11 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default fuel leak - vac leak?

hey everyone

little background - 1985 corvette - looked to be daily driver for someone drove it home after purchase with no problems (besides roof panel and headlight motor) ran fine and no puddles in the garage after the drive home - 40 miles approx.

yesterday I took it to the bmv and to get gas short drive and noticed a smell in the garage. I looked under the car to find a fairly large puddle of fluid - clear/yellowish and smelled like fuel. It appeared to be coming down the passenger side frame rail and dripping. The top of the side of the motor was dry - the drivers side did have moisture.

the reason I mention vac leak also is although I did not feel any brake pedal issue on the test drives or the ride home (soft but no real pedal drop) on yesterdays drive while in traffic, at the lights I started to notice the pedal falling. possible booster problem?

could vac leak could be causing both? or separate issues?

obviously with a gas leak I cannot go anywhere - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

How many miles?

I would think the issues are unrelated.

If like my '84, the fuel line comes up the passenger side frame rail. That is also where the fuel filter lives. My first guess would be a loose fuel filter clamp. Second guess would be a failed rubber fuel line.

Check the brake fluid in the master cylinder. From my experience, a spongy brake pedal is not a vacuum leak but a failure somewhere in the brake hydraulics or air in the system.
The following users liked this post:
sb66 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

66K on the miles - both issues awkwardly showed up together
Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

maybe a stupid question - but which brake fluid is ok - I know some of the older cars parts did not like synthetics are they ok for the vettes or is that not a good idea?

thanks

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

ok maybe not fuel leak - not sure what this is - large black box on passengers side (I have got to get a manual for this car) has metal lines that come out of the bottom and head to the front of the car - the metal lines have a crimped hose under condensor pump(?) the crimp on the top hose is weeping/leaking - but as it does it is carrying with it some other random sludge build up on the cross member - giving it some unique qualities - is this a heater line ? if so is it very difficult to change?

thanks again everyone

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

post a picture
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I tried to get a picture of the hose but it just blacks out I will se if I can get enough of the surrounding area
Old 07-26-2016, 01:47 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

hopefully these work

Old 07-26-2016, 01:48 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

do any of these make sense to anyone?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I did some more looking - the metal line comes out of the bottom of the box with the blue label travels along the inner fender, transitions to the rubber hose in the pic that is leaking, does a u turn back to the motor and then I lose track of it. definitely creates a unique smell and leaks a fair amount.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Is the AC working? Those are AC lines shown in your photos.
sb66 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:29 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

ok now that I have this conversation going in 10 different directions - I want back under the passengers wheel area - these 2 lines are fuel lines - one goes from the fuel filter and the other I am guessing is a return line. The $200 question - are these one long continuous piece or can I cut out the rubber and replace it?

I am guessing one long piece

thanks for your patience

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUU
Is the AC working? Those are AC lines shown in your photos.

thanks- yes it is ok - there are lines under that I was trying to get - the one with a split in it - I believe - the culprit. After I rev the motor a couple of times the flow of gas begins until 1-2 minutes after shut off
Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I was considering a temporary fix of just the hose portion - I thought I could splice in a new piece until the part arrives - I am looking at classic tube and zap - both about the same and include from tank to rail - has anyone used either before?

thanks

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

hi, i have an 85 as well.

u have multiple issues.

1. the rubber line with a crack on it that is crimp fit to the metal line is an ac line. is there leaking from the crack? fluid out the base of Black box with yellow R134a sticker is water. maybe contaminated mouldy water but water. its normal from a correctly functiong ac system.

2. the gas line, take a pic of where you think it is leaking.

3. brakes hard: eirther toasted booster or could also be pads/rotor. i had to clean rotors with brake clean and use sandpaper on pads to get fresh surface on pads. place paper on flat surface and grind away a thin pad layer. worked great.

spongy pedal, air in line. need to bleed. air could be getting in or maybe previous owner did a botched bleed and let air in. need to bleed to see what results are. if air comes back, u have hole somewhere.

i used dot4. no name brand. brakes are incredible now.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 07-26-2016 at 08:48 PM.
sb66 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
hi, i have an 85 as well.

u have multiple issues.

1. the rubber line with a crack on it that is crimp fit to the metal line is an ac line. is there leaking from the crack? fluid out the base of Black box with yellow R134a sticker is water. maybe contaminated mouldy water but water. its normal from a correctly functiong ac system.

2. the gas line, take a pic of where you think it is leaking.

3. brakes hard: eirther toasted booster or could also be pads/rotor. i had to clean rotors with brake clean and use sandpaper on pads to get fresh surface on pads. place paper on flat surface and grind away a thin pad layer. worked great.

spongy pedal, air in line. need to bleed. air could be getting in or maybe previous owner did a botched bleed and let air in. need to bleed to see what results are. if air comes back, u have hole somewhere.

i used dot4. no name brand. brakes are incredible now.

thanks

I am going to bleed them first - I looked at the fluid today and it looks black - I am not sure as it has been a few years since I have done work on any brakes, but I do not remember black fluid. dot 4 - does it matter synthetic or not?

I will look at the line again, but I was pretty sure that it traced back the the fuel filter - but all the back and forth I could have lost track the smell is very much like gas and everything I can see above looks very dry

thanks very much

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 09:09 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

brake fluid should be clear. mine was black too. no matter syn or not unless u r racing or autocrossing

if its gas its gas u would know. take a pic of the line where its leaking.

you can find fuel line rubber with basic hose clamps. my small engines all use these but the are not pressurized systems. you may wany to flair the metal ends so the rubber has grab with the clamps. if its small, might take to shop who can SAFELY deal with the fuel. bbbeeeeeeeee cccaaaarrrreeeeffffuuuulllll

around fuel. have extinguisher right beside u.

i swapped my fuel filter and got drenched in 2 cups of gas
sb66 (07-26-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To fuel leak - vac leak?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

2 cups - oh man

I have an extinguisher in the garage just in case

the whole thing has made me a little nervous- that why - if it is gas - I want it fixed or at least mended safely and quickly

that's what I thought about the brake fluid -

thanks

Sean
Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
I am going to bleed them first - I looked at the fluid today and it looks black - I am not sure as it has been a few years since I have done work on any brakes, but I do not remember black fluid. dot 4 - does it matter synthetic or not?
The main thing is not to use silicone fluid. It's incompatible with the ABS system (causes cavitation when ABS is active).
sb66 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

so any of the synthetics dot4 should be fine - ? - check for silicone -

I just wanted to make sure I did not need to find a non synthetic - had a '79 car that was like that no synthetic

Quick Reply: fuel leak - vac leak?