C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

K&N or stock type air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM
JWASR64
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N or stock type air filter

I found the previous owner put a K&N filter in.
What is preferred, I have heard people having over oil issues with K&N.
What do you use ?

Thanks !!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The biggest issue with oiling is that some people use way too much oil after cleaning. The incoming air can pick up the oil and deposit it on the sensors. Maybe the K&N filter will flow more air volume but that oil picks up a lot of dirt and dust and I can't see how that doesn't reduce airflow.

For the cost of a K&N filter and the cleaning kit and the time it takes to do the clean/oil process, you can buy a bunch of standard air filters.

I buy the cheapest paper air filters I can find and simply install a new one on each year.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The biggest issue with oiling is that some people use way too much oil after cleaning. The incoming air can pick up the oil and deposit it on the sensors. Maybe the K&N filter will flow more air volume but that oil picks up a lot of dirt and dust and I can't see how that doesn't reduce airflow.

For the cost of a K&N filter and the cleaning kit and the time it takes to do the clean/oil process, you can buy a bunch of standard air filters.

I buy the cheapest paper air filters I can find and simply install a new one on each year.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

I ran k&n for a while....

I haven't noticed any performance improvement or more sound...(you can hear just more intake sssshhh like blowing wind) my car is pretty stock, maybe instead some big block cammed and exhaust cars can get some improvement.

Also anytime you had to clean oil filter you will have to do a lot of work, clean it with degreaser, rinse it and wait till it dry ( usually one or two days later) after that you had to re-oil it. So you had to work one-two hours to change an air filter.

Last edited by Christi@n; 07-28-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're bone stock, run an AC Delco or Fram type replacement. You won't see any benefits of an K&N on an OEM setup.

If you're running a custom cold air intake system, than I would be looking at a K&N filter because you won't find an off-the-shelf filter for a custom setup.

This is my setup for my 89.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 PM
JWASR64
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked up the stock type paper filter, and found Wix & AC Delco.
Wix is 10:00 less ia one better ?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

on later model vehicles, (my specific knowledge of this is in the diesel world) GM actually put out a TSB that if a vehicle came in with issues and had a K&N filter on it, they would void the warranty.

now I know about the law concerning aftermarket parts, but a person would have had to spend the money with a lawyer, etc.

there was a lot of issues with over oiled and/or just the oil, getting on the MAF wires and causing lots of issues. there is also a study floating around that showed the relative effectiveness of paper filters -vs- other types of filters and the paper filters flowed as much air and filtered better (at that time) than the oiled filters.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

IMO you really don't need a "oiled" air filter unless you drive where it's dusty such as the grain belt or desert areas. Most of the reusable filters I've seen were "caked" dirt, with owners who did know how to care for them. The GM bulletin referred to states MAF sensors would not be covered under warranty, because of oil saturation related failures, due over oiling of reusable air filters.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:01 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Yes, you are correct. I went back and reread the TSB. #04-07-30-013B states that it didn't void the entire warranty but that any issues related to the usage of an oiled filter could not be processed under warranty.

Here is an interesting read.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I had put a K&N into my truck and the dealership called me and asked me to remove it, and they would pretend they never saw it. I have a 26 yr history with them, so they were doing us a favor. This was in 2004, well before the above TSB was written.

I have simply been using paper filters and just changing them often. They are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

These are the symptoms in a MAF equipped car/truck that oil on the MAF wires can cause:

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability
Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a
Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled
Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by JWASR64
I found the previous owner put a K&N filter in.
What is preferred, I have heard people having over oil issues with K&N.
What do you use ?
Thanks !!
I use a standard paper element filter.

If I found a K&N air filter in the Corvette that I just bought, I would replace it with a standard paper element filter. Also I would clean the mass airflow sensor and throttle body.

K&N air filters are designed for increased airflow (at full throttle) at the expense of filtration efficiency. So they are great for race cars with modified airboxes but not much else... certainly not a stock airbox on a stock street car that you want to last beyond 150k miles. In most cars, at anything less than full throttle, the most restrictive parts of the intake are the throttle plate and the airbox opening. Granted many of us stand on the throttle pretty often, but if the stock airbox isn't opened up, there still isn't a point to a performance air filter. Just my $0.02
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Question for all Guys that used/are using oil filter.

Have you ever put an oil filter panel against a light?

And if you did it, what have you seen?

I've seen a lot of holes both with filter just cleaned and re-oiled and after 5000mi of service... when I discover this I came back to paper

Comments are appreciated

Last edited by Christi@n; 07-28-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

My LT4 car had a K&N filter in it when I bought the car. I removed it immediately, replaced it with a paper filter, and gave the K&N to somebody here on this forum.

Here are a few simple truths about air filters:

1. A filter will flow more air when it's fresh and clean than it will after it has accumulated some dirt. (Of course.)

2. The dirtier a filter gets, the more dirt it will trap.

3. There are two ways to flow more air through a filter. One is to increase its surface area. The other is to increase the size of its pores. Larger pores will allow more particles to pass through.

4. If one filter will flow more air than another filter, it either has more surface area, larger pores, or both.

The stock C4 air filter is huge. It will flow a lot of air until it becomes clogged.

Does the K&N have more surface area than the paper filter? I don't know, but if it doesn't, the only way it can flow more air is to have larger pores. Is this what you want in your Corvette? And even if it flows more air without admitting more particulate, do you really think it will make a measurable difference in the car's acceleration? Do you really want to place any oil upstream of your MAF sensor? Would you prefer that it take you two minutes to replace your air filter, or much longer to service a reusable filter?

It's your car. Do whatever works for you. Paper filters for me.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

3. There are two ways to flow more air through a filter. One is to increase its surface area. The other is to increase the size of its pores. Larger pores will allow more particles to pass through.

Is what I meant, speaking about holes I think

Get notified of new replies

To K&N or stock type air filter

Quick Reply: K&N or stock type air filter