C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

113 cylinder heads, the rocker-stud, and valve spacing isn't standard SBC ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 113 cylinder heads, the rocker-stud, and valve spacing isn't standard SBC ???

Just picked this up off another C4 tech/performance thread.

" 113 cylinder heads, the rocker-stud, and valve spacing isn't standard SBC. "

my measurement was:

What are the other SBC cylinder heads (vortec) ect.... valve to stud spacing distances??

Last edited by Street89vette; 07-29-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

actually, the spacing i was referring to was the rocker stud to rocker stud for a cylinder pair, or the intake valve stem to exhaust valve stem. not being the standard SBC spacing.
The following users liked this post:
Street89vette (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpoL98
actually, the spacing i was referring to was the rocker stud to rocker stud for a cylinder pair, or the intake valve stem to exhaust valve stem. not being the standard SBC spacing.
oh, i see what your talking about. lol
I am having issues with rocker arms being too long and extending past center on valve stem. Comp cam steel roller tip brand for STD SBC.

Two good sources replied back with opposite advice after seeing pic with roller on stem. Still not sure if i need a different set of rockers. Can anyone break the tie??? "it's a go or it's no"

Last edited by Street89vette; 07-29-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Street89vette
oh, i see what your talking about. lol
I am having issues with rocker arms being too long and extending past center on valve stem. Comp cam steel roller tip brand for STD SBC.

Two good sources replied back with opposite advice after seeing pic with roller on stem. Still not sure if i need a different set of rockers. Can anyone break the tie??? "it's a go or it's no"

I've been installing aftermarket roller rocker arms in all ratios, always with guide plates mind you, for a long time on 350 engines, but that looks almost normal position for a resting arm. I think you will notice at full lift it will sit right in the center of the valve stem where and when you want it there. Check it yourself.

If it's still hanging on the end like that at full lift then I'd start worrying.

Last edited by SELLC; 07-29-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Default thanks, just left the garage a few minutes ago with some SWEEP pics.

I think this will clear it up: pictures a hard to see but i rolled the engine 5 or 6 full revolutions (as per sweep advice) after marking the tops of the valve stems with sharpie ink. Sweep is off the outside edge and never comes back to center: yikes !!!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 PM
SELLC
Instructor

I think this will clear it up: pictures a hard to see but i rolled the engine 5 or 6 full revolutions (as per sweep advice) after marking the tops of the valve stems with sharpie ink. Sweep is off the outside edge and never comes back to center: yikes !!!

Hmmmm... Looks about how it would but maybe I am not seeing it. The roller is only going to make contact with half the valve thru it's travel anyway, so one side on a test like that should be clean.

Then again I just realized you have iron heads. Don't see many people spend the cash to have them worked for screw in studs.

Look like you got 7/16 studs there, wonder if the 3/8 would center differently? I'd like to see where it sits at full lift before I can say one way or the other.

Last edited by SELLC; 07-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by SELLC
Hmmmm... Looks about how it would but maybe I am not seeing it. The roller is only going to make contact with half the valve thru it's travel anyway, so one side on a test like that should be clean.

Then again I just realized you have iron heads. Don't see many people spend the cash to have them worked for screw in studs.

Look like you got 7/16 studs there, wonder if the 3/8 would center differently? I'd like to see where it sits at full lift before I can say one way or the other.
L98 with stock 113 aluminum heads. Rollers sweep is off edge of stem.
Looks like the new rockers are too long. Easier to see in the last picture on top stem.

tried to change rocker angle with different push rods.... did not work either

Last edited by Street89vette; 07-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 PM
SELLC
Instructor

L98 with stock 113 aluminum heads. Rollers sweep is off edge of stem.
Looks like the new rockers are too long. Easier to see in the last picture on top stem.

tried to change angel with different push rods.... did not work either
I see what you're saying now. This computer screen makes them look iron.

Well, shucks... I'm out of ideas, haven't seen that except when customers brought me them inexpensive $80 rocker arms to install on their Camaro's and Firebirds. Even then they would just tell me to leave it and trust me when I tell you they beat the snot out of them.

Hope you get it figured out, but I have seen some pretty shady aftermarket parts in my time, hopefully it's an easy fix.
The following users liked this post:
Street89vette (07-29-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 113 cylinder heads, the rocker-stud, and valve spacing isn't standard SBC ???

Quick Reply: 113 cylinder heads, the rocker-stud, and valve spacing isn't standard SBC ???