C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need header back exhaust for 1985 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:57 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need header back exhaust for 1985 C4

I have a 1985 C4 with hedman long tube headers. I need a complete header back system, but am having a hard time finding anything.

The closest one I see is this at Summit.
Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust Systems SCC40R
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...qR1xoCoPzw_wcB

This is listed on the Pypes website as 86-91, I don't understand why it wouldn't fit an 85. I'm not sure if its a sample type picture as you can see the front bends aren't correct and the rear bends aren't either.

Edit: I was looking at the photo album on the Pypes website and it looks like this is used with dual cats, maybe that's why they list as 86+. I would just be connecting the headers straight into this exhaust with no cats.

Is anyone familiar with this kit, or has an idea where I can get something like this?

I would prefer the Pypes Street Pro type mufflers, this kit has the Race Pro.

I would be happy with any mandrel bend , 2.25 or 2.5 diameter, X or H pipe, no cat, steel system that is under $1000.

Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BlueTwoToneCorvette; 07-30-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you tried asking a local muffler shop to have a dual system installed? I would think that any pre-made exhaust system will not bolt directly to headers.

I would guess that you could get a shop to install duals for under $500 and that would include your choice of mufflers and even tips.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:28 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Yes, I would need a pipe to connect from the header to the header back system, to take the place of the dual cats.

You think I could get what I listed, mandrel bends and all for under $500? That would be great.

I thought all the local shops did was crush bending?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:21 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

The '85 came with a single Cat that both header pipes entered and dual pipes exited to the mufflers at that back of the car.

Have you checked with Allen's Stainless Exhaust? They sell an "OFFROAD TRUE DUALS" system for the 1984-91 Corvette using stainless steel for just over $800 I believe. They also have less expensive systems for the same cars. You should be able to do a search and find their website. I would give them a call and see what they have to offer.

There was a time in the past when some of the vendors carried the Allen's systems. Don't know if any still do however. I installed one of their stainless systems on my '73 in 1991 and it still looks terrific today.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 07-30-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most muffler shops have tube benders that will create slightly crushed inside walls, but for the most part that type of bend will work fine for stock or lightly modded engines.

In looking at the pic of the Pypes system, I'm curious if the 90 degree bends at the rear will work to clear the spare tire tub and the rear spring? Most C4 systems I have seen have slightly less of an angle. The link says the system is made from stainless steel. If you buy this system, you will probably have to build connecting pipes from the collector reducer to the pipes. Can you weld stainless? A slip fit will require a muffler shop to use their tube bender it expand one end and to fit the Heddman ball flange at the other.

As far as cost, you will probably have to take the car to shops so you can get estimates. It shouldn't take a good shop much more that 1.5 to 2 hours to do an install. But be aware that some shops will balk at installing a system that does not have cats. One way around that is to remove the license plates and trailer the car to a shop. Tell them the car is for "off road use only"
Old 07-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Magnaflow 16837 can be had brand new for $600, weld on short extensions to connect to headers.

Stainless 3" mandrel bent.

It's listed as for LT-1 cars. I bought LT-1 hangers from the auction site for $40.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Because all the headers have slightly different exit points, both fore and aft as well as side to side, there is no "universal" kit to go from headers back. Bak in the day, 25+ years ago, manufacturer's used to sell a lot of header/dual exhaust kits, but you don't see that much anymore. Best bet is a local muffler shop. Yes, they will have crush tube benders, but unless you are making serious power - above 450 HP or so - you will not notice much difference, unless the guy that bends the pipe is an idiot.
--Calvin
Old 07-31-2016, 02:09 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that set up on my 84. Also using hedmen elite headers. You need to weld on flanges and modify the length a little to fit. Really not a big deal
As far as the 90s in the rear. Drivers side clears and the passenger side is very close

Last edited by qws; 07-31-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:20 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by qws
I have that set up on my 84. Also using hedmen elite headers. You need to weld on flanges and modify the length a little to fit. Really not a big deal
As far as the 90s in the rear. Drivers side clears and the passenger side is very close
Hey thanks.
You put the pypes exhaust on with the race pro mufflers? Was the sound level acceptable for you?

I'm thinking I would be happier with the quieter street pro. I'd probably have to call pypes to get that combo.

Get notified of new replies

To Need header back exhaust for 1985 C4

Quick Reply: Need header back exhaust for 1985 C4