C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

113 Aluminum Heads / 1.6 Steel Roller Tips Sweep position way off center

Old 07-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 113 Aluminum Heads / 1.6 Steel Roller Tips Sweep position way off center

Been trying different length push rods and toying around with this geometry but these recommended: 1.6 steel comp roller tips Just Do Not Fit. Sweep is off the edge of valve stem with whatever push rod lengths. I am surprised that this has never come up in Corvette Forum.

Pulled New Roller Tips and looking for the "Exact Fit" Roller Rockers.

113 aluminum heads on L98 : 1989 C4 Corvette. Got to be a simple explanation for this.

Please recommend the best fitting (sweep) rocker arms. If you have a measurement of "Pivot center of RR to roller tip center" maybe I can buy the right ones. lol

Old 07-30-2016, 11:58 PM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I used Scorpion Narrow Body Self Aligning Roller Rockers on my '91 at a 1.6 ratio. I did have to change the pushrod length so I just bouight a new set from Summit or Jegs. I can get you the length on the pushrods and the part number for the roller rockers if you are interested. BTW, if you use something like this, please remember to shave off the protrusions on the inside of the valve cover. Otherwise it makes a mess when you first crank the engine.
--Calvin
The following 2 users liked this post by calvinlc:
Street89vette (07-31-2016), yakmastermax (01-15-2024)
Old 07-31-2016, 12:12 AM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calvinlc
I used Scorpion Narrow Body Self Aligning Roller Rockers on my '91 at a 1.6 ratio. I did have to change the pushrod length so I just bouight a new set from Summit or Jegs. I can get you the length on the pushrods and the part number for the roller rockers if you are interested. BTW, if you use something like this, please remember to shave off the protrusions on the inside of the valve cover. Otherwise it makes a mess when you first crank the engine.
--Calvin
yes, all the above!

any info on rod lengths and part #s of rockers will save me alot of time. did the rollers line up ok with the valve stems?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:37 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Street89vette
yes, all the above!

any info on rod lengths and part #s of rockers will save me alot of time. did the rollers line up ok with the valve stems?
They did, once I got the right pushrods. However, I also changed to the LT4 hot cam at the same time. Therefore, I don't know if the base circle is any different than the stock cam, so the pushrod recommendation may not be quite right. They are supposed to be the same base circle. You might just order the rockers first and then see how well they line up and go from there.

The pushrods I wound up with were 7.05" long, part number 249-7937-16 from Jegs. BTW, I ordered both 7.1 and 7.05 - tried them and then sent the ones back I didn't use. Saved me a couple of weeks of dorking around with shipping when the first set didn't fit.

The rockers were Scorpions from Summit Racing part number SCC-SCP1036.

The stock pushrods are 7.2" so mine were 0.15" shorter. The best way to do this is to buy a pushrod checker tool along with the checker spring, but if that isn't possible just look at the location of the roller on the valve stem tip.

BTW, if this is your first time adjusting valves on this engine let me know and I can send you a procedure that may help you.

--Calvin
The following users liked this post:
Street89vette (07-31-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 113 Aluminum Heads / 1.6 Steel Roller Tips Sweep position way off center

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 113 Aluminum Heads / 1.6 Steel Roller Tips Sweep position way off center