C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4-headlights won't close(new motors)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 PM
GW-TORGY
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4-headlights won't close(new motors)

Can anyone advise me on possible problem, put new motors on headlights but they won't close when turn off lights. I tried a seperate battery to motors to be sure they work properly and they do.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

What happens when you cycle switch?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by GW-TORGY
Can anyone advise me on possible problem, put new motors on headlights but they won't close when turn off lights. I tried a seperate battery to motors to be sure they work properly and they do.
What year? And why did you change the motors? Most times it is the gears or the pucks.
The following users liked this post:
GW-TORGY (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM
GW-TORGY
5th Gear

Nothing happens when i cycle switch . If i manually close lights the switch will open then and turn off lights after that switch will only turn light on and off but no close. This is a 92. I thought it would be better to just change out rebuilt units then try to repair old ones.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

What was wrong with original motors? There is a module that controls motors. Voltage goes one way to open an the other to close. Headlights illumination is a separate system operated by the same switch but independent of motors. This thread may help a wiring diagram is within it

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-is-fuse.html
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by GW-TORGY
Nothing happens when i cycle switch . If i manually close lights the switch will open then and turn off lights after that switch will only turn light on and off but no close. This is a 92. I thought it would be better to just change out rebuilt units then try to repair old ones.
Six bucks worth of pucks might have done it. Did you just get the motors or the whole assembly? Open the hood and see if they open then. Do you hear the motor running?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

This sounds more like the headlight switch or module than a mechanical problem. Start at the switch on the dash, and work your way to the motors. Good hunting
GW-TORGY (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM
GW-TORGY
5th Gear

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
six bucks worth of pucks might have done it. Did you just get the motors or the whole assembly? Open the hood and see if they open then. Do you hear the motor running?
whole assembly=no motor running when turning them off. Have to close them manually-i hooked up a separate battery and they will open and close when i reverse polarity. Possibly a switch problem? Is there a way to test switch or is there a fuseable link somewhere ? Don't mean to sound too stupid, this is my first vet and experience with this system. I am an old shade tree mach & i used to rebuild auto transmission.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 PM
GW-TORGY
5th Gear

Originally Posted by benny42
this sounds more like the headlight switch or module than a mechanical problem. Start at the switch on the dash, and work your way to the motors. Good hunting
do you know how to remove or test light switch without taking dash too far apart? I took out 3 screws on side of switch but could not gain access to back of switch.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Since you know motors work. Use test light at connector for motor see in test light will light when touch to both only one side show light touch ground terminal of light to other terminal of connector does it light? Yes, turn headlights and retest. Dark colored wire will have 12v closed and lighter colored wire will have 12v open. The opposite wire will be ground It's not about a vette. The motor goes forward or backward as polarity or voltage switch + - or - + using the same 2 wires. The module gets a voltage input from the headlight switch to operate headlight motors open or closed. Module provides power and ground for motors. If no, you need to check for 12v at headlight switch input at module.

Last edited by Kevova; 08-23-2016 at 08:29 AM.
GW-TORGY (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM
GW-TORGY
5th Gear

Thank you, that explains a lot i will get a chance to use the test light tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To C4-headlights won't close(new motors)

Quick Reply: C4-headlights won't close(new motors)