C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aftermarlet Stereo Wire Harness for 1996 C4 w/ Bose

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Aftermarlet Stereo Wire Harness for 1996 C4 w/ Bose

Ok, so I just took the plunge and sprung for a new stereo head unit. I was going to go with a Kenwood unit without the monitor, but I could not resist the low price of an XOD1752BT brand stereo monitor @ $94 shipped to my door.

Yeah... So it's cheap, however its gotten good reviews and if I don't like it I can always sell it on craigslist a recoup most of my cash, if not a little more since people want things NOW. I on the other hand, will be waiting until September 1st which is the estimated delivery date of my new head unit.

The question I have is with the wire kit and dash install kit. Apparently all the ones I have seen are not for use with factory Bose systems! They had a nice double din install kit on ebay that comes with the dash kit, the harness and the antenna adapter, but it says not for use with factory Bose stereos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-96-CORVET...-/390589976631

Now I realize that I may have to buy all new speakers anyway because this new head unit may not work with the Bose speakers (Let me know if you know).

I'm not afraid to buy new speakers and run new wires to the speakers and actually I was planning on working on my HVAC controller while the dash was apart installing the stereo.

I'd like to order everything now, so its all here by September 1st but I'm not sure what install kit, harness and possible speakers I might need. Anyone with any help it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm basically doing this swap out because I can't live without my iPhone music library. I've tried it for a month and I just can't listen to Little Red Corvette on CD anymore. lol!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Check with Crutchfield, they would have everything you need and tell you what parts are requred.
The following users liked this post:
SELLC (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of good information in the Audio/Electronics section of the Forum
SELLC (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Check with Crutchfield, they would have everything you need and tell you what parts are requred.
I did check with Crutchfield, however when I put in the information for my vehicle the system said it had no "information" on a 1996 Corvette for any recommendations. At that point I figured I was on my own.

I did find out that the front speakers are 4X6" and the rears 6.5" from Pioneer but that's about it.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Lots of good information in the Audio/Electronics section of the Forum
I'll have to check that out!

Edit - Yeah, so I checked out that forum and even the C4 sticky within it. Apparently that post dates back to 2005 and very little I could find on the C4 yet alone the late 1996 C4 with Bose.

I'd be very interested in seeing the backside of the factory head unit if anyone has any photos. Are there any AUX ports on the factory Bose stereo that have digital inputs that could connect an iPhone to the factory stereo? If so I could totally live with the digital sound quality of the factory Bose providing I could play my iPhone music thru an AUX port! It's not that I mind the sound quality of the existing unit, I just cant live with regular radio, CD's and cassettes. Really takes away from the enjoyment of the car.

Last edited by SELLC; 08-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i have a double din kenwood ddx 371 installed in my 96 , when i bought the car it came with after market alpine head with amp. so the after market speakers were already installed, i called crutchfield for a wiring kit but turned out i did not need it, so if you think you might have use for it let me know..part number 70 1857 metra. Bose integration and tuner bypass.
SELLC (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
i have a double din kenwood ddx 371 installed in my 96 , when i bought the car it came with after market alpine head with amp. so the after market speakers were already installed, i called crutchfield for a wiring kit but turned out i did not need it, so if you think you might have use for it let me know..part number 70 1857 metra. Bose integration and tuner bypass.
That's a pretty fancy cable! Just checked it out online and it appears that would be just the ticket. If my radio ends up fitting, what would you have to have for it?

Which brings me to my next problem. Stopped up to the local stereo shop about 30 minutes ago figuring I'd just check prices on other comparable head units and the guy there told me that a double din will not fit into these cars without trimming up the factory console panel that boarders the stereo! Is this true? They were trying to tell me it was a Din and 1/2 and that I would have to go with a single din and adapter kit!?

I may have just purchased a radio that wont fit my car!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
SELLC
Instructor

I think it's safe to say I'm taking this Corvette thing to an unhealthy level. In addition to this little trinket I've also been eyeing other necessities such as Corvette logo t-shirts, underwear, and even Corvette drinking glasses. LOL

I know, it's a C6 design, but I just had to have it! LOL

Been looking at these period correct ones on eBay

A little on the pricey side @ $59 but if I keep my eye out it looks like I might be able to snag one for $22 and then I'll give the C6 lighter to the wife. Guess that Zippo above is a 2005 edition.

Also looking at apparel,

I think maybe I have a problem because I even did an eBay search for Corvette underwear, but nothing turned up.

Is this normal? Or am I maybe taking this a little overboard?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by SELLC
That's a pretty fancy cable! Just checked it out online and it appears that would be just the ticket. If my radio ends up fitting, what would you have to have for it?

Which brings me to my next problem. Stopped up to the local stereo shop about 30 minutes ago figuring I'd just check prices on other comparable head units and the guy there told me that a double din will not fit into these cars without trimming up the factory console panel that boarders the stereo! Is this true? They were trying to tell me it was a Din and 1/2 and that I would have to go with a single din and adapter kit!?

I may have just purchased a radio that wont fit my car!
The C4 Bose radios are a Din and 1/2 Most of the C4's I have seen with aftermarket radios are the single DIN type. There are single DIN units that have a slide-out display screen so maybe that could work.

An aftermarket head unit would benefit by a small amp and good quality speakers. The factory Bose speakers may have been made by Pioneer or other speaker manufactures but they were made according to GM/Bose specs and to be used with the individual Bose amps. I think you would be better off removing the factory speakers and replace them with good aftermarket speakers. You would have to run new wires that can handle the output.

Another think to consider is that the factory radio receiver is a separate component from the factory head unit. IIRC, the radio receiver is located on the passenger side wall of the storage compartment just behind the seat. So there is no antenna cable that goes to the center of the dash. You may also have to re-wire the power antenna so that it works with an aftermarket unit.
SELLC (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:47 PM
SELLC
Instructor

The C4 Bose radios are a Din and 1/2 Most of the C4's I have seen with aftermarket radios are the single DIN type. There are single DIN units that have a slide-out display screen so maybe that could work.

An aftermarket head unit would benefit by a small amp and good quality speakers. The factory Bose speakers may have been made by Pioneer or other speaker manufactures but they were made according to GM/Bose specs and to be used with the individual Bose amps. I think you would be better off removing the factory speakers and replace them with good aftermarket speakers. You would have to run new wires that can handle the output.

Another think to consider is that the factory radio receiver is a separate component from the factory head unit. IIRC, the radio receiver is located on the passenger side wall of the storage compartment just behind the seat. So there is no antenna cable that goes to the center of the dash. You may also have to re-wire the power antenna so that it works with an aftermarket unit.
Well, $hit... Looks like I'll have to list that stereo up on craigslist then. I'd rather just cancel the order but I purchased as a guest on eBay. Paid with a credit card though, however I'm not one to try a stunt like that considering I made the error. I'll just have to hope I can make my money back on the unit... Pretty sure someone on Craigslist will want $100 monitor for their car.

I don't even think a double din will fit in a 1994 Firebird, otherwise I guess I could just give it to the kid for his car.... Or hold onto it for a Christmas gift.

But I could have sworn I seen people with double din monitors in their C4 Vettes! Here are some photos I've seen.

Are these people using some "trick" modified console panels? Or do they sell Din and 1/2 aftermarket stereos? This is one of the main reasons I went with an inexpensive stereo, I knew I hadn't done this before and I knew there would be some pitfalls.

If only there was some kind of CD changer port that could be accessed in the factory stereo to allow a digital iPhone connection thru my iPhones headphone port! That would be totally awesome! I'd even dedicate an iPhone to the car just so it was always in the car.

I like the Bose sound, I just cant deal with the poor quality of an FM transmitter or the rubbish cassette tape trick.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

A double din will fit fine in a 96, but you do have to trim a plastic piece in the back of the dash that supports the stock radio. Crutchfield doesn't list a 96 but they do list a 92, which is essentially the same as far as the stereo setup goes. The Metra harness does work but it's not ideal and it's really a pain to install. When I used it I ended up having a buzz in the speakers so I had to install some filters inline between the head unit and the harness. I ended up ripping out the stock speakers and the harness and ran new wires to new speakers. Honestly, installing the harness requires at least half the amount of work as it does to just install everything new, I'd highly recommend just biting the bullet and do it all now.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i would shop around for another installer, last thing you want is them cutting up your dash to make a dbl din to fit i had to trim a very small corner to make it fit but you cannot see it as previously said the back may have to be trimmed a little it take someone who know there way around these cars. be patient and u will be fine. those pic prove it can be done.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:42 PM
SELLC
Instructor

The factory Bose speakers may have been made by Pioneer or other speaker manufactures but they were made according to GM/Bose specs and to be used with the individual Bose amps.
I didn't mean to say the speakers that come factory in the Bose systems were made by Pioneer, what I meant to say was that Pioneer was the only site that listed a 1996 Corvette on their site. According to the Pioneer web site it says the following,

So Pioneer is saying that the Corvette uses a double din head unit and the above mentioned speaker sizes.

Guess I'm just going to have to run the RCA's for my 4 channel JL amp for the speakers and one for a future subwoofer, fix my HVAC and everything will be fine... I hope, lol!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:41 PM
SELLC
Instructor

My new C4 Zippo came in the mail today!

Guess I'll give the wife the new C6 zippo I picked up a few days back.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I have a 1988 C4 coupe that came with the Bose stereo system. While it worked it was great, then one by one the speakers started drying out and the music wasn't so great anymore.
I went to Crutchfields and for a bit over $400 I got a new Kenwood Exceleron KDC-X500 head unit with all the 1.5 din brackets as well as a set Of infinity Reference REF-6520cx and a pair POLK 6x9" three-way speakers.
This whole system is designed to virtually drop in and replace the entire BOSE system. I like the fact that it will allow the use of the telephone and all my IPhone music files or those from any Android telephone or pad. for an extra $50 you can add the Sirius receiver if you want but this system has everything I need and want
It might not have a big screen that pops out but it will make my car very up to date with an awesome sounding stereo! Screens that come out of the head unit dont work well with automatic Corvettes sometimes
I second the idea of calling Crutchfields as they supplied me with the harness connections all pre-assembled to make the install a "breeze". The experience of having somebody help as much as Crutchfields can is well worth the price. I got one box and everything works together as an engineered system. If I have a problem of any kind the folks at Crutchfield will provide some great tech support.
Now you understand why I have been a customer of theirs since the 1970's, great prices with superior support from people who "Know" car audio systems.
SELLC (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Well, I got all my stuff in from eBay the past few days, 2 t-shirts, a vintage C4 lighter and the XO stereo head unit.

Guess most people in here were right about the double din being too big to fit the Corvette.

So apparently for people wondering that don't already know, the double din units require trimming of either the front cover panel, or the back side. It's apparently too long (or deep if you will). Once installed the front trim panel will not fully lock back in place, preventing installation of the console/shift trim panel.

Since cutting panels is not an option I went around to all the stores and purchased the highest quality cassette adapter that I could find. It's amazing how much better it sounds now that I know that's as good as it gets without cutting. Oddly enough, it seems to be working and I have put the XO unit on craigslist hoping to re-coupe my cost of the double din head unit and perhaps make a buck or two.

So I guess this concludes my write up on the double din/aftermarket stereo install. For the record, a double din will not fit without modification, unless the double din unit is 4 inches or less deep, and that is just not possible if it's got a CD/DVD player. You could most certainly "make it fit" by trimming, and in my younger years I would have been fine with such options. For whatever reason, as easy as it would be to bust out the carbide burr and trim, I just can't bring myself to do such a thing to my Corvette.

I'm still in search of a different method, as a single din and install kit does not in my opinion look proper in a Corvette. You would think now days companies would make monitors that fit with all the other components mounted remotely. I'm looking into that possibility but I'm content for now with the work-around.

Last edited by SELLC; 09-02-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

You might want to check Double D Mods

http://www.doubledmods.com/

I believe they are a supporting vendor. I ordered some stuff for a later Vette from them, and in a few minutes of talking to them it was obvious that they know the Vette audio stuff QUITE well !!!
SELLC (09-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarlet Stereo Wire Harness for 1996 C4 w/ Bose

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

The C4 Bose radios are a Din and 1/2
I believe early C4 are 1.5 din and late C4 are double din.
SELLC (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 11:29 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just my 2cents worth....
My 87 was wired common ground so I had to do a little creative wiring.
As for the Bose speakers with amps at speakers. They are like 1.8 ohms.
I opened the modules and bypassed the amps and wired directly to the speakers. I think the sound was better than the Polk speakers I finally replaced them with.

JS
SELLC (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM
SELLC
Instructor

I agree that a double din would fit later model C4's but I think there is still going to be some modification involved to get the panel to sit flush. If anyone has had one drop right in without any trimming I'd love to hear about it.

I've also noticed something interested about the factory stereo in my 1996, I didn't notice it before, but after using the cassette adapter for my iPhone I realize that this particular stereo automatically raises and lowers the volume based on engine speed! At first I thought the adapter was bad, then I realized what was going on.

Either way, I'd defiantly like to upgrade. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before tearing it apart since it is my daily driver at this time. I've got the head unit and an install kit, but now have to dig out the speaker enclosures and figure out what works best for me. Got several quality amps and I may even sell this XO head unit and end up buying a Kenwood just because I want a quality unit if I am going to have to go thru all this trouble. It will for sure be worth it and I will update the thread when I got some photos of hands on install.

I've considered buying a new or used front panel incase I have to do some trimming but this low quality sound as a result of the cassette adapter is wearing on me.

Quick Reply: Aftermarlet Stereo Wire Harness for 1996 C4 w/ Bose