C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need the location of an 89 main coolant fan relay

Old 08-29-2016, 01:22 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default Need the location of an 89 main coolant fan relay

I've read many, many posts on the forum. Several mention it's under the brake master cylinder. I assume the two relays BEHIND my battery are for the MAF.

There are two relays on the rear of the DS inner wheel fender. My FSM identifies one of them as the gear selector relay. The other is not identified.

My FSM SAYS the main coolant fan relay is "Front of the engine compartment on the radiator shroud." (while the aux fan relay is on the radiator support).

When I ground the aux fan, I can hear/feel the shroud relay clicking. So I'm convinced THAT is not for the main fan. WHICH MEANS THE 89 FSM is W-R-O-N-G!!!

I don't have anyone handy to intermittently ground the ALDL pin to see if I can identify WHERE the main fan relay is located. By process of elimination, I'm guessing it's one of the ones on the inner wheel liner.

EDIT: I am also assuming it's exactly the same style as the aux fan relay -- which is what's mounted on the inner fender. In prepping for a better fan, I think I've found where that would be a 30-amp relay. Confirmation of that would also be stellar!

Thanks!

BTW...There were a couple of pictures posted over the years. As usual links were empty/gone. Considering how "cheap" picture space is on the net (usually free), it's hard to figure why so many people delete pictures from their hosting websites!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-29-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I relied upon what I "read" last week ('86 location) and have since tried to confirm a couple things and cooling fan relay locations seem to be more MISS than hit in the FSM '86 thru '89.

This image is from an '88 FSM and I believe to assume nothing changed through '89 this is the UNTAGGED relay in the '89 FSM in your 8A-201-2. OD of course changed to CAGS in '89 for the ZF.

You confirm by confirming wire color at the relay using either the 8A section or maybe the 6E-C12 sections OR maybe BOTH!!!

Name:  Cooling Fan Relay '88.png
Views: 10909
Size:  56.4 KB

'87 is consistent with this location mentioned in the 8A sections.

Here's a snapshot from an 89

Snapshot was posted in this link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1583804869

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-30-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
This image is from an '88 FSM and I believe to assume nothing changed through '89 this is the UNTAGGED relay in the '89 FSM in your 8A-201-2. OD of course changed to CAGS in '89 for the ZF.

Attachment 48013935
That's the one I suspected as being the relay. As you posted, my '89 FSM 8A - 201 - 2 component location diagram shows the overdrive relay changed to "Gear Selector Relay". The other relay [on the left] is unmarked.

I guess all the documentation guys at GM were too busy with the ZR1 at the time!

Of course, if I had a V8 with 57 valves, 12 overhead cams, and another 12 gears, I'd have been pretty excited [back then] too! LOL

Thanks buddy!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Is the reason the "attachment" doesn't show up in my link due to it being a picture in your lib(s) on this forum? This is the first time I've noticed an "attachment" versus a hosting link.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
BTW...There were a couple of pictures posted over the years. As usual links were empty/gone. Considering how "cheap" picture space is on the net (usually free), it's hard to figure why so many people delete pictures from their hosting websites!
What I've seen is that people jumped on the Internet bandwagon back in the day and as time went on they stopped using their web sites. When renewal time came around they didn't pay and the sites disappeared.

I'm an Apple Developer and we are required by Apple to maintain a web site to support our apps. I post all my pictures to that site and then link to them here with image tags. They will never disappear from my posts on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Need the location of an 89 main coolant fan relay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need the location of an 89 main coolant fan relay