C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Targa top windshield bolt removal 1995 C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 AM
foverbey
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa top windshield bolt removal 1995 C4

Just bought a 95 C4 and I am working on some quick release/install ***** like the ones on the Youtube video. Don't want to bugger up anything getting the windshield bolts out. Can't get the two torx screws out of the windshield frame. Have tried unscrewing them with pressure from above and gently tapping them out. No joy. How do I go about getting them out so I can use my new fasteners? Thanks form a NuB. Frank.

Last edited by foverbey; 08-30-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-30-2016, 08:49 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I thought they just unscrewed with a bit of pressure. Take pics of the dimples in your head from the rear ones. Why not just get a battery operated screw driver if you're in such a hurry?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

the OP is asking to ELIMINATE the OE torx bolt's. using a homemade **** style nut & bolt. The front bolts require removing the targa & the upper interior trim.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
the OP is asking to ELIMINATE the OE torx bolt's. using a homemade **** style nut & bolt. The front bolts require removing the targa & the upper interior trim.
Yes and his visors will be afflicted as well as his head it will suck unless he is short.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by foverbey
Just bought a 95 C4 and I am working on some quick release/install ***** like the ones on the Youtube video. Don't want to bugger up anything getting the windshield bolts out. Can't get the two torx screws out of the windshield frame. Have tried unscrewing them with pressure from above and gently tapping them out. No joy. How do I go about getting them out so I can use my new fasteners? Thanks form a NuB. Frank.
If your OE work LEAVE THEM ALONE! There's no need in mucking up what works with something that LIKELY WON'T!! If yours are busted and have fallen out then I believe a fix is a much better alternative.

Yours sound like they're fine. The bolt is retained in the latching device and allowed to spin free for catching the top.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by foverbey
I know why you want to remove bolts.

You don't like during hot season, screw 4 bolts every time you need to park the car, right?

I would say you a little trick i use. Every time I park car I tight just one bolt. Usually the front. t-top is closed however closed this way.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:21 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Christi@n
I know why you want to remove bolts.

You don't like during hot season, screw 4 bolts every time you need to park the car, right?

I would say you a little trick i use. Every time I park car I tight just one bolt. Usually the front. t-top is closed however closed this way.
Future flying roof member.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Future flying roof member.
No.....
I tight one bolt when car is parked only. When I leave from that place, I unscrew that bolt and put ttop in cargo area...

If it rains or whether turns cold, and I need to run with top, ovbiousliy I put it on with four bolts...
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM
foverbey
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow-up question. I know the rubber grommet on the front bolts serves to keep the bolt from dropping out when unscrewed. Does it serve any other purpose like acting as a spacer/support between the bolt and the top?

Get notified of new replies

To Targa top windshield bolt removal 1995 C4

Quick Reply: Targa top windshield bolt removal 1995 C4