C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Winter Upgrades Delemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:45 PM
C4TrackStar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Upgrades Delemma

Ok, I have a dilemma. I'm getting ready to start ordering parts for my winter upgrades and I'm not sure which way to go. I have a 84 that I have been working on for several years. I have a built 700 R good for about 600 hp. The previous owner removed the cross fire and installed a aluminum intake and carb. I have upgraded the fuel pump with an external EFI MAllory unit, an6 hose for both pressure and return sides. I have a Mallory regulator backed almost completely off to 6 pounds for the carb. I am replacing the exhaust either way. And I have a painless wiring kit to clean up the wiring. It's hacked pretty bad when they pulled the crossfire. I have converted the trans to a cable speedometer and replaced the digital dash with Autometer gauges. I have been planning on a LS (truck motor) for a while and upgraded the fuel and stuff to support that swap. I'm starting to second guess myself. It seems that with all of the LS swaps now, good sbc parts are becoming easy to find and cheap. I even started to think about an ebite twin turbo kit. I'm having a problem deciding between the LS swap and twin turbo sbc. I want about 500 hp. And this is a driver / reason to go to the cruise nights. I know that the LS is a fairly easy conversion and very dependable, but the twin turbo would be way up on the cool factor. I don't pay much attention to LS swaps anymore but twin turbos always make me take a second look. Ok, let's say that everyone comes back telling me to swap. From what I have researched, the intake, accessory drive and oil pan will have to be swapped from a LQ. I probably would swap out the cam and probably heads as well. Would I still be better starting from a complete drop out engine or building from a bare block? I would keep the 700R either way.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Just do it your way ! ..... Your gut will guide you .....
Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Just figure out what you can realistically spend and a time frame. Too many cars get taken apart never to be reassembled. I would try to have everything you need prior to taking your car apart. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Upgrades Delemma

Quick Reply: Winter Upgrades Delemma