C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gas gauge suck on full !

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:39 AM
jimfed
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gas gauge suck on full !

It seems that my gas gauge is stuck on full. I noticed that after putting a few hundred miles on my car after filling the tank with gas that my gauge hasn't moved at all. I went to the gas station and filled the tank up and it was nearly empty. My car is a 1986 Pace Car with 13K original miles on it. All the other gauges are working properly any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

You can take the fuel door off and the bib pull the sender from there and clean or replace. I would try a bumpy road first.
The following users liked this post:
jimfed (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM
jimfed
Advanced

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
You can take the fuel door off and the bib pull the sender from there and clean or replace. I would try a bumpy road first.
Will do thanks !!!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the bumpy road.. But, the way it works is there's a float in your tank.. The higher the float the more voltage gets back to your gauge. It's prob suck up.. So If the road doesn't work, open it up and move it. Once it's moving if voltage is changing them is working, if but you need a new sending unit.. Believe it's the pink wire

Last edited by tomcamaro97; 09-12-2016 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimfed (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM
jimfed
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomcamaro97
Agree with the bumpy road.. But, the way it works is there's a float in your tank.. The higher the float the more voltage gets back to your gauge. It's prob suck up.. So If the road doesn't work, open it up and move it. Once it's moving if voltage is changing them is working, if but you need a new sending unit.. Believe it's the pink wire
Thanks Tom !
Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jimfed
It seems that my gas gauge is stuck on full. I noticed that after putting a few hundred miles on my car after filling the tank with gas that my gauge hasn't moved at all. I went to the gas station and filled the tank up and it was nearly empty. My car is a 1986 Pace Car with 13K original miles on it. All the other gauges are working properly any help would be greatly appreciated !
Hi

If it doesn't free up have a close look at the gas tank, I had my tank suck inwards jamming against the float.

You really need a almost empty tank so you can remove the sender assembly, feel inside the tank for any collapsed areas.

I straightened my tank and replaced the gas cap and has not re occurred. Just another thing to look at ....
Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

If it doesn't free up have a close look at the gas tank, I had my tank suck inwards jamming against the float.

You really need a almost empty tank so you can remove the sender assembly, feel inside the tank for any collapsed areas.

I straightened my tank and replaced the gas cap and has not re occurred. Just another thing to look at ....

13k most likely has the original cap and just sat to long and got stuck.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Just be glad you have a C4 , most other cars aren't as easy to gain access to the sender or pump......WW
Old 09-13-2016, 12:25 PM
jimfed
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Gas tank is in new original condition, have the car on the lift and felt all around and found no damage at all.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:19 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel gauge

Originally Posted by jimfed
Gas tank is in new original condition, have the car on the lift and felt all around and found no damage at all.
My 1996 LT4 gas gauge was not working right, I did not do anything except make sure I did not run out of gas. It corrected on it's own and no other problems last year.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jim,

just go into the tank ..itll literally take you like 10 mins... its the 4 torqx bolts by your gas filler. then the hose clamps and 8 bolts that hold the whole sending unit in place.. its super easy...

yank the whole thing and check the sending unit.. thats where ide start. and the most likely cause...

this setup has been the same for like 50 years because its super simple, and works.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM
lovmy90vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can the sending unit be accessed under the gas cap on a 1990 coupe?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by lovmy90vette
Can the sending unit be accessed under the gas cap on a 1990 coupe?
All C4s
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 PM
JWMorrisey
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just developed the same problem on my '86 coupe.

Filled the tank and the gauge hasn't dropped since. I'm less than an hour from KEEN Parts so I 'll pull the sending unit and run over there to pick one up if needed.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 PM
lovmy90vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My gas gauge has been on full for the past 2-3 years. I use the trip mileage option and when I get to 400 miles I know the tank is low. I have had enough of this so I think I will buy an new sending unit from RockAuto and replace the old one. Anything I need to know about this repair??
Old 03-26-2017, 02:42 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcamaro97
jim,

just go into the tank ..itll literally take you like 10 mins... its the 4 torqx bolts by your gas filler. then the hose clamps and 8 bolts that hold the whole sending unit in place.. its super easy...

yank the whole thing and check the sending unit.. thats where ide start. and the most likely cause...

this setup has been the same for like 50 years because its super simple, and works.
I'd agree with Tom. Do it right and you will have the peace of mind. Even if a bumpy road (I'd freak about creating additional rattles in my car) jars it loose it will just get stuck again.

Popping it out will also allow you to move the float up and down testing the gauge on your dash.

This is a two beer job.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
jimfed
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I'd agree with Tom. Do it right and you will have the peace of mind. Even if a bumpy road (I'd freak about creating additional rattles in my car) jars it loose it will just get stuck again.

Popping it out will also allow you to move the float up and down testing the gauge on your dash.

This is a two beer job.
Thanks Bill, I will be doing it soon, just been tied up on my truck project. I will be buying a new sending unit and fuel pump, easy fix !

Get notified of new replies

To Gas gauge suck on full !

Quick Reply: Gas gauge suck on full !