C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'84 Overheat / Gasket, Radiator, Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '84 Overheat / Gasket, Radiator, Fuel Pump

Hello,

Yes, I am new to the forum but not new to my obsession with Corvettes. I am potentially purchasing my first Vette, which has some issues. I am trying to decide if the discounted purchase price is worth it, all repairs considered.

Two mechanics looked at it for an overheating issue. The first mechanic said it needed a new engine, and that a cracked header was the issue.

Second mechanic said the car needs new gaskets, a new radiator, and should replace the fuel pump.

I'm inclined to say the 2nd opinion is correct. Anybody out there have ideas for cost to repair and degree of difficulty to do so? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the forum, i'd stay away from it but that's my opinion, I bought mine and thought the price outweigh'd the issues, I was VERY wrong. Any pictures or more information on the car? Mine used to overheat because the fan wasn't spinning at a high enough speed and it kept blowing the fuse, once that was all figured out had ZERO overheating problems.

Tell us more about the car, there isn't much of a "discounted" purchase price on these cars, you can get into a pretty clean C4 for under 6k easily, especially a 91 and before.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 09-20-2016 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corvette_realtor (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Hey there, thanks for your reply. Original asking price for this one was $6,400 with around 94k miles. Now asking $2,500.

Seems to be in good interior/exterior condition and in original condition too (no exterior mods). Has the Z-51 suspension package and glass targa top. Only a 2 owner car.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
Hey there, thanks for your reply. Original asking price for this one was $6,400 with around 94k miles. Now asking $2,500.

Seems to be in good interior/exterior condition and in original condition too (no exterior mods). Has the Z-51 suspension package and glass targa top. Only a 2 owner car.
That's quite a huge drop....maybe something broke or is on its way out and he wants to ditch it before it gets worse. Is there any previous information on the car? how long has he had it etc. 6'400 for a 84 with 94k miles in my opinion is way to much.

There is PLENTY of these cars out there, don't be impatient and buy the first one you see like i did never hurts to look at other ones. Mines currently for sale, but is quite a project. Mechanically the cars all there though as far as I can tell.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 09-20-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
how long has he had it etc. 6'400 for a 84 with 94k miles in my opinion is way to much.
This owner has had it 23 years. In my area, this seems like a low price for the car even at $6,400. An '86 coupe just went up at a dealership near me - it has 90k miles, in good condition, and they are asking almost $10,000..
Old 09-20-2016, 06:30 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

This owner has had it 23 years. In my area, this seems like a low price for the car even at $6,400. An '86 coupe just went up at a dealership near me - it has 90k miles, in good condition, and they are asking almost $10,000..
These are some of the corvettes for sale in my area, and the ones by me are priced high compared to farther down south, im in connecticut. This was just after a quick search.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5790866498.html
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5763409667.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5788137684.html
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5788016132.html

Here's a C5 too that i'm suprised hasn't sold yet.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5787190742.html

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 09-20-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

WOWOW that c5 is cheap!!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

As a guide, I bought an '84 4+3 with 35k miles, in excellent condition, back in May for $4300.....and that is in the Baltimore-Washington corridor.

I'd be curious to know what diagnostics two different techs performed to come to their different conclusions on the overheating issue.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
WOWOW that c5 is cheap!!
They dropped the price to, think it started at 12.5k LOTS of cheap C5's in my area, more cheap c5's then c4's.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hello,

Yes, I am new to the forum but not new to my obsession with Corvettes. I am potentially purchasing my first Vette, which has some issues. I am trying to decide if the discounted purchase price is worth it, all repairs considered.

Two mechanics looked at it for an overheating issue. The first mechanic said it needed a new engine, and that a cracked header was the issue.

Second mechanic said the car needs new gaskets, a new radiator, and should replace the fuel pump.

I'm inclined to say the 2nd opinion is correct. Anybody out there have ideas for cost to repair and degree of difficulty to do so? Thanks!
Personally I'd say both are wannabe mechanics. What does a fuel pump have to do with overheating?? A cracked header??
One of the first checks for overheating is the rad, 84's are notorious bottom feeders, that is they suck up all kinds of crap to the rad.. Did either check this??
corvette_realtor (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:22 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hello,

Hi
The most common overheating problem is the area between the radiator and a/c condenser filling up with leaves. yes our corvettes double as street sweepers.

The old L98 is bullet proof and with the iron heads with shim head gasket overheating the car doesn't bother it, unless you keep driving and cook it real good.

The temp sensor (on the drivers side head with spade terminal)
will be stuffed is the temp got real hot and show way off the actual temp.

I have had to replace that temp sensor a couple of times, yes boiled the hell out of my 85 but she recovered.

Check the radiator, does it have nice green coolant?
usually head gasket or cracked head will result in light brown creamy colored stuff in the coolant.

I say check the area between radiator and a/c condenser, you have to remove the air filter and radiator cover trim.
Replace the engine temp sensor (they are around $10) check the coolant level is good and check the engine fan turns on at around 230 degrees F

Tip if you remove the small round connector from the a/c line (next to the connector that has two spade terminals ) The fan should go on and stay on.

Good luck
Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
The most common overheating problem is the area between the radiator and a/c condenser filling up with leaves. yes our corvettes double as street sweepers.

The old L98 is bullet proof and with the iron heads with shim head gasket overheating the car doesn't bother it, unless you keep driving and cook it real good.

The temp sensor (on the drivers side head with spade terminal)
will be stuffed is the temp got real hot and show way off the actual temp.

I have had to replace that temp sensor a couple of times, yes boiled the hell out of my 85 but she recovered.

Check the radiator, does it have nice green coolant?
usually head gasket or cracked head will result in light brown creamy colored stuff in the coolant.

I say check the area between radiator and a/c condenser, you have to remove the air filter and radiator cover trim.
Replace the engine temp sensor (they are around $10) check the coolant level is good and check the engine fan turns on at around 230 degrees F

Tip if you remove the small round connector from the a/c line (next to the connector that has two spade terminals ) The fan should go on and stay on.

Good luck
OP said it was an '84 so it should be an L83 and not an L98.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by divotdug
OP said it was an '84 so it should be an L83 and not an L98.
^
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Overheating causes

I've had a bit of experience with overheating Corvettes and here are some things I learned.

1. Check your ground connections between the engine and battery and the fuse block and battery. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of trouble in a modern fuel injected car. My grounds were so bad that my engine was seeing incorrect data from sensors, I was surprised at how far off the sensors could be just because they did not have a solid ground.
2. Too much antifreeze actually causes the cooling system to be less effective. Be sure to never run too much antifreeze for your location.
3. A bad belt tensioner (or one that is "going" bad) will cause slippage of water pump before other problems like alternator output pop up.
4. Verify that your cooling fan is working properly, I test them by measuring the current they use to run the fan blade and compare it to other fans just like it.
5. Carbon in the cylinder heads will make pre-ignition a problem and overheating is likely to follow. Good fuel cleaner (like BG 44K) every 2000 miles is an awesome preventative and keeps the car idling smoothly.
6. Check your engines ignition timing, I don't know much about the 1984's ignition system but your overall timing can clearly have an effect on running temperatures.
7. Make sure that your car has gasoline with a high enough Octane rating. Also with the days of Ethanol upon us do not let your fuel sit in your tank for more than 30 days unless you put and additive in it before you put the gas in it. Adding additives after filling the tank does a very bad job of mixing it up and I have found it to be less effective.

Some of these lessons have been learned on the 1988 L-98 Coupe I have but others come from my 1968 Convertible which has a Replica of an L-88 engine with its compression ratio of 12.5 to 1.

I hope these tips might be of some use to those with overheating issues.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:16 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Can't thank you all enough for the responses. I feel that both mechanics are trying to make a quick buck on someone who doesn't have a lot of mechanical know-how (not me, the seller) (although, I am not knowledgeable on the subject either).

Is this common, for mechanics to tell you that you need all-new everything in order to make a quick buck off ya? I was shocked when he told me the first mechanic said it needed a completely new engine...

I have read about the '84 having its air intake under the car instead of in a typical grille, so I will be checking for extra leaves/debris. The second mechanic did say he thought it needed a new radiator.

I am going to check out the car today. I have a feeling I'm going to buy it and make whatever repairs necessary on my own to get it up to par. This guy has taken good care of the car, so I have a hard time believing it needs all new x,y,z, just 'cause.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Can't thank you all enough for the responses. I feel that both mechanics are trying to make a quick buck on someone who doesn't have a lot of mechanical know-how (not me, the seller) (although, I am not knowledgeable on the subject either).

Is this common, for mechanics to tell you that you need all-new everything in order to make a quick buck off ya? I was shocked when he told me the first mechanic said it needed a completely new engine...

I have read about the '84 having its air intake under the car instead of in a typical grille, so I will be checking for extra leaves/debris. The second mechanic did say he thought it needed a new radiator.

I am going to check out the car today. I have a feeling I'm going to buy it and make whatever repairs necessary on my own to get it up to par. This guy has taken good care of the car, so I have a hard time believing it needs all new x,y,z, just 'cause.
You're welcome, we're here to help! These cars are bottom feeders, the mechanics are hit or miss from what i've seen, some are scammers and want to make a quick buck, others are genuine guys that will do good work for a good price. Keep us updated on how it goes
Old 09-21-2016, 02:51 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

How many miles on it?

I realize none of us really answered some of your questions.

When it comes to the fuel pump. Pretty much the easiest car in the world to change out the pump. 20 minutes or less and no need to crawl under the car. If you can use a screwdriver you can change the pump.

Like any business there are mechanics out to make a quick buck.

Generally what happens in a case like this is a mechanic is asked to diagnose an overheating issue but the owner isn't willing to spend any money for a proper diagnosis so the mechanic gives their best guess.

I would be fearful in the case of this car that the first mechanic was correct and instead of a cracked 'header' it has a cracked 'head'.

Sounds like the 2nd mechanic believes it needs new head gaskets and a radiator.

What it really needs is a proper diagnosis of the problem.

When looking at the car be sure to look at the dip stick and under the oil filler cap for signs of water contamination (oil on the dip stick will have a white milky appearance).

Also take off the radiator and peer inside to make sure you are not seeing an oil slick floating on top. DO THIS WHILE THE ENGINE IS COLD.

There are multiple reasons for overheating some expensive to repair, others not so expensive.

Good luck!!

Last edited by divotdug; 09-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '84 Overheat / Gasket, Radiator, Fuel Pump

Old 09-21-2016, 03:08 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Originally Posted by divotdug
I would be fearful in the case of this car that the first mechanic was correct and instead of a cracked 'header' it has a cracked 'head'.
After seeing the second mechanic, the seller told me that the "block is good," does that mean it would not be a cracked 'head'?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Has either mechanic done a compression test? The '82 - '86 Corvette's have "624" heads, which have a reputation for cracks if the engine is seriously overheated. It will probably take a compression test to confirm this. Somebody may be hiding information from an unsuspecting buyer. Be careful with the stories you are getting!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:59 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

After seeing the second mechanic, the seller told me that the "block is good," does that mean it would not be a cracked 'head'?
No. The heads bolt to the block. The block could be perfectly fine but a head could still be cracked.

I would agree with the suggestion above of having a compression test done.

Quick Reply: '84 Overheat / Gasket, Radiator, Fuel Pump