C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear spring to Differential Cover - Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM
VetteS10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spring to Differential Cover - Question

I apologize in advance for sounding like an idiot. I don't know the actual name of the part in question, and I'm not too knowledgable with Corvettes.

Anyway, I bought a D44 and batwing, separately. On the cover, where the mounting brackets and bolts for the spring are, there are what looks like shims of compressed cardboard. They look pretty gnarly, so is there a solution to replace them? Should I scrape them off and just use the 1/8" metal spacers above and below the spring?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2016, 06:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

What you use would maybe depend upon many things. Is it to be used in a C4 corvette or is this a D44 that's been purchased for use in something "other than" it's C4 intentioned install?

The shim/spacer isn't part of the D44 set-up, it's actually a part of the suspension component. It's very dependent on the spring rating and variables such as a 'vert or a coupe etc.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM
VetteS10
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What you use would maybe depend upon many things. Is it to be used in a C4 corvette or is this a D44 that's been purchased for use in something "other than" it's C4 intentioned install?

The shim/spacer isn't part of the D44 set-up, it's actually a part of the suspension component. It's very dependent on the spring rating and variables such as a 'vert or a coupe etc.
It will not be used in a Corvette. I'll swap it into my S10 (lots of work and ultimately stupid).

The rest of the suspension is from a 90 coupe with a D36. It had 6 1/8" shims, 3 on each bracket.

Still, those cardboard-y shims glued to the batwing, what to do with those?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetteS10
It will not be used in a Corvette. I'll swap it into my S10 (lots of work and ultimately stupid).

The rest of the suspension is from a 90 coupe with a D36. It had 6 1/8" shims, 3 on each bracket.

Still, those cardboard-y shims glued to the batwing, what to do with those?
If you're using the transverse spring your only concern is the total shim stack height so that it fills the spaces above/below spring and allows the clamping action that secures it. the insulator itself isn't hurting a thing and appears to be in reasonably good condition. When you put the D44 in the current suspension just duplicate the shim/spacer (count and thickness) that you're using with the D36.

The part is meant to be an "insulator" and when you tear the D36 out you'll find I'd think the same unless someone has been there and modified things.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:50 AM
VetteS10
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you're using the transverse spring your only concern is the total shim stack height so that it fills the spaces above/below spring and allows the clamping action that secures it. the insulator itself isn't hurting a thing and appears to be in reasonably good condition. When you put the D44 in the current suspension just duplicate the shim/spacer (count and thickness) that you're using with the D36.

The part is meant to be an "insulator" and when you tear the D36 out you'll find I'd think the same unless someone has been there and modified things.
Thank you for the knowledge! I wasn't sure if the insulators were still good to use, since it looks like the stack on the left doesn't have a flat surface for the shims, whereas the right stack does.

Just in case, does GM still make those insulators, or is it easy enough to make my own?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetteS10
Thank you for the knowledge! I wasn't sure if the insulators were still good to use, since it looks like the stack on the left doesn't have a flat surface for the shims, whereas the right stack does.

Just in case, does GM still make those insulators, or is it easy enough to make my own?
The insulator is NLA from GM - part# was 14076181 and I see no references to it's original thickness BUT I'd think you could likely determine the required thickness and create a suitable(perhaps better) insulator.The spacers/shims were provided in I believe 4 thicknesses 1.72mm, 4.39mm, 5.21mm and 6.11mm. The anchor plate can be modified to use a combination that is maybe less that OE. Bolt your anchors to the rear cover and measure the span, measure the spring thickness and shim however you like top or bottom to FILL the gap.

I didn't notice the deterioration of the one insulator, I only glanced at the snapshot and read your post.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-25-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spring to Differential Cover - Question

Quick Reply: Rear spring to Differential Cover - Question