C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

There should be a class action suit against Opti Spark manufactures!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:58 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern Musclecar
First of all MSD opti's are junk, I've had 3 in a row bad right out of the box. Second why haven't you done an LTCC coil pack conversion yet??
agreed about the msd optisparks being junk.

no need to do a coil pack conversion (dont those still use the optispark???). just look hard and find an oem optispark with mitsubishi sensor. vent it if gen 1

also reprogram fans and stuff to run cooler. my 93 doesnt ever go above 174f. electronics live better at cooler temps

and if switching to a 24x, you might as well throw in an ls3, and computer.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by cormorant71
I sold my LT1 because of the opti issues. Replaced a new unit (from a supporting vendor) within a year. bought an L98 and LOVE IT!
I really want a late C4 but man every time I see an opti thread I cant help but want to stay away. Guess its going to have to be a ZR-1.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Modern Musclecar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
agreed about the msd optisparks being junk.

no need to do a coil pack conversion (dont those still use the optispark???). just look hard and find an oem optispark with mitsubishi sensor. vent it if gen 1

also reprogram fans and stuff to run cooler. my 93 doesnt ever go above 174f. electronics live better at cooler temps

and if switching to a 24x, you might as well throw in an ls3, and computer.
LTCC only uses the opti as a cam sensor which makes it last forever as you no longer have a distributor firing right next to a delicate optical sensor which is why they need to be vented and what causes them to fail

Quick Reply: There should be a class action suit against Opti Spark manufactures!