C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

damn-it; changed and cleaned the wrong air bag sensor; now INFL REST back after reset

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default damn-it; changed and cleaned the wrong air bag sensor; now INFL REST back after reset

Had code 16 yesterday. I should have done more reading, but I thought that was the passenger side air bag. Yesterday I removed that sensor, sanded the frame and sensor bracket, put on some dielec grease and reset the code.

Well after driving today for about 5 mins the light (and seatbleft light) were back. Did some research, and see that code 16 is the drivers side sensor. Damn-it.

Oh well, at least after I clean the LH sensor and frame later this week I'll know that this shouldn't come back for a long long time.

BTW - took me 40+ tries yesterday to clear the code. What eventually worked for me is this:

1)
1) ground K pin (4th on bottom from left to right)
2) turn ignition to RUN (don't start the engine)
3) wait 5 seconds (the fault codes would have already started flashing after about 3 seconds, but wait the 5 seconds)
4) unground Pin K for 3 seconds
5) again ground Pin K for 3 seconds
6) unground Pin K and wait 10 seconds
7) turn ignition off, and see if the code is gone.

BTW - one weird thing when I drove it this morning. For the first 5 mins (before the INFL REST light came back on) I was driving without my seatbelt but did not get a seatbelt light or warning. Could it be the 5 mins after driving it - perhaps the seatbelt light is programmed to wait the 5 mins until it warns? Or could it be due to the LH sensor, where the car PC knew something was up so it didn't give me just the seatbelt warning but instead gave me both after the 5 mins?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
VikingTrad3r (09-28-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Rip263
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default INFL Light problem

Originally Posted by DanADaMan
Had code 16 yesterday. I should have done more reading, but I thought that was the passenger side air bag. Yesterday I removed that sensor, sanded the frame and sensor bracket, put on some dielec grease and reset the code.

Well after driving today for about 5 mins the light (and seatbleft light) were back. Did some research, and see that code 16 is the drivers side sensor. Damn-it.

Oh well, at least after I clean the LH sensor and frame later this week I'll know that this shouldn't come back for a long long time.

BTW - took me 40+ tries yesterday to clear the code. What eventually worked for me is this:

1)
1) ground K pin (4th on bottom from left to right)
2) turn ignition to RUN (don't start the engine)
3) wait 5 seconds (the fault codes would have already started flashing after about 3 seconds, but wait the 5 seconds)
4) unground Pin K for 3 seconds
5) again ground Pin K for 3 seconds
6) unground Pin K and wait 10 seconds
7) turn ignition off, and see if the code is gone.

BTW - one weird thing when I drove it this morning. For the first 5 mins (before the INFL REST light came back on) I was driving without my seatbelt but did not get a seatbelt light or warning. Could it be the 5 mins after driving it - perhaps the seatbelt light is programmed to wait the 5 mins until it warns? Or could it be due to the LH sensor, where the car PC knew something was up so it didn't give me just the seatbelt warning but instead gave me both after the 5 mins?

Thanks
I have the same problem I cleaned up the LH sensor and used the dielectric grease. Now I am going to try and clear the code 16. Hope it works I will let you know.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

While your servicing the left sensor the battery to frame & engine to frame ground cable connection is exposed suggest a clean up.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 AM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Bringing back an old thread.

So as my previous responses states, I removed both sensors and sanded the frame and then put on di-electric grease. i reset the codes and all was good. Though after about a month the INFL REST code came back. This was near the end of last season just before I winterized it, so I didn't do anything with it. Now that the foood weather is back I'd like to fix this again.

Though I'm lost as what to do. I already removed both sensors and did the sanding thing. Obviously that wasn't enough? Though it did work for about a month, so I guess that means the sensors are good and the controller too. So what would you suggest.

Should I just do it again and remove the sensors and sand the frame again?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 03:51 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Bringing back an old thread.

So as my previous responses states, I removed both sensors and sanded the frame and then put on di-electric grease. i reset the codes and all was good. Though after about a month the INFL REST code came back. This was near the end of last season just before I winterized it, so I didn't do anything with it. Now that the foood weather is back I'd like to fix this again.

Though I'm lost as what to do. I already removed both sensors and did the sanding thing. Obviously that wasn't enough? Though it did work for about a month, so I guess that means the sensors are good and the controller too. So what would you suggest.

Should I just do it again and remove the sensors and sand the frame again?

Thanks
run a secondary ground. make up a couple 16AWG jumpers with crimp-lug eyelets on both end. clean the mounting tab on the sensor, a little di-electric grease, a couple grounding washers, and secure. you will only need to clean one part of the sensor's ground mounting bracket - the forward side where access to the one mounting bolt or screw is easier. run the other end of the jumper to a good ground point of the frame. a whole lot easier than removing the sensor assembly. when the thing is back together, you really can't see the additional grounds. did that on my 90. being **** as I am, when fabricating my jumpers, I coated the ends of the wire with di-electric grease prior to crimping, and finished up with shrink sleeving (for just a little additional (environmental) protection).

edit: I've got to ask, after you cleaned the grounds, did you use grounding washers under the sensor's mounting bolts? seems to me, there were no washers used to mount the sensors on my 90. here's a little additional reading...

http://www.streetrodlife.com/tech/getting-grounded/

Last edited by Joe C; 04-24-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

PM Sent
Old 04-22-2017, 11:21 AM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe C
edit: I've got to ask, after you cleaned the grounds, did you use grounding washers under the sensor's mounting bolts? seems to me, there were no washers used to mount the sensors on my 90. here's a little additional reading...

http://www.streetrodlife.com/tech/getting-grounded/

If I remeber right there was no washer or anything between the bottom of the sensor and the frame. I like your idea of the ground jumper and using a star washer. I'll try that this weekend and provide an update if it worked. Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM
DanADaMan
Advanced

OK, so I just went to read the code to see which sensor is giving me the INFL REST message. I jumped pins A and B with a paper clip and put ignition on - all I was getting is 12s - no error codes at all. But I have the INFL REST light??? Am I doing something wrong to read the airbag code? If I remember right, I'm suppose to either have 16 or 42?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Am I doing something wrong to read the airbag code? If I remember right, I'm suppose to either have 16 or 42?

Thanks
yes for diagnostics for SIR ground pin K in the ALDL - it's generally done to A but I've seen others just do it to maybe a substantiated ground in a particular car.

Do you have the FSM?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-22-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Done! I again had 16 code so drivers side. I did the jumper trick. Was real easy cause about 2 inches away from the front sensor screw is a ground wire to frame that connects straight to battery negative. I added a short 3" jumper from that ground to the front sensor screw.

I then reset the code - worked great using my technicque above (only took 2 tries). Now to start driving and see if it ever comes back. I'll post back if it does

Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Done! I again had 16 code so drivers side. I did the jumper trick. Was real easy cause about 2 inches away from the front sensor screw is a ground wire to frame that connects straight to battery negative. I added a short 3" jumper from that ground to the front sensor screw.

I then reset the code - worked great using my technicque above (only took 2 tries). Now to start driving and see if it ever comes back. I'll post back if it does

Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Dammit. I'm posting cause it came back!

I haven't yet pulled the code but based on the 2 previous attempts I suspect it will be 16 again. So what are your thoughts? I've already removed both sensors, sanded the bottom and frame and re-installed with dio grease. The 2nd attempt I added a ground lead from the sensor right to the negative battery terminal. I suspect the sensor and module is good cause I am able to reset the codes and drive maybe 30 kms before it comes back.

So any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

I haven't yet pulled the code but based on the 2 previous attempts I suspect it will be 16 again. So what are your thoughts? I've already removed both sensors, sanded the bottom and frame and re-installed with dio grease. The 2nd attempt I added a ground lead from the sensor right to the negative battery terminal. I suspect the sensor and module is good cause I am able to reset the codes and drive maybe 30 kms before it comes back.

So any ideas? Thanks
no ideas -

I posted a copy of the TSB on this thread - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-resistor.html

i'd start at zero, and go by the book - in this case by the TSB. good luck - keep us posted....
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Refer to my PM....

Get notified of new replies

To damn-it; changed and cleaned the wrong air bag sensor; now INFL REST back after reset

Quick Reply: damn-it; changed and cleaned the wrong air bag sensor; now INFL REST back after reset