C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

urgent. Hard clutch pedal after clutch slave cylinder install

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent. Hard clutch pedal after clutch slave cylinder install

1996 c4 lt4

Just replaced my clutch slave cylinder.

I filled new clutch slave cylinder with fluid and flushed line out before hooking it all back up.

Once it was all together i had about 25% clutch pedal movement (with no feel) then hard at a rock.

i took off the slave cylinder again and there isnt really a way you could put it on wrong it seems. Its almost impossible for the slave cylinder rod not to be in the middle of the piston or whatever the rod hit in the bell housing. The slave cylinder is extended when i have it out and have to push like a **** to try to compress it enough to get the bolts started. I really feel thats where the problem lies. I opened up the bleeder to try to get the slave on easier but man it still fights you terribly.
Questions:
Is the slave cylinder supposed to go on with no force at all? If yes how would i get my slave cylinder to become compressed so i can put it on easy?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:32 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

another thing i noted was when i took off the new slave cylinder the rod feels loose and that if i wanted too i could pull it right out of the boot
Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

You have to bleed it good then pump up the pedal and hold it a few minutes then silde your foot off it letting pop back might take a few times. Was there any kind of spacer that you missed?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:06 AM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
You have to bleed it good then pump up the pedal and hold it a few minutes then silde your foot off it letting pop back might take a few times. Was there any kind of spacer that you missed?
I would think having air in the system would cause the opposite problem which would be having a pedal that is too soft
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

Reinstall. Your slave cyl rod missed the clutch fork. It extends all the way out and binds causing the solid pedal.

Try again. Sometimes two people helps. One to force the slave square on the studs and one to thread the nuts. Tighten them two turns at a time so it installs and stays square.

Get notified of new replies

To urgent. Hard clutch pedal after clutch slave cylinder install

Quick Reply: urgent. Hard clutch pedal after clutch slave cylinder install