C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions on L98 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I run a Stewart pump, no complaints.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:36 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to close out the thread: Got the WP in two days. Nice but not that great since I could have driven across town to Summit and picked it up. Any way I installed it last week. What a chore. If you are going to do this take your time and some pictures. I took a camping trip between removal and installation and it was like doing a puzzle. Lots of tubes. used blue sealer on the WP and the bolts and my favorite since 1958, Indian Head, on the hoses. No runs, no drips, no errors and no more coolant on the frame. Thanks to all who gave me input.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:23 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear all went well. I finished mine a few days ago,went with the Edelbrock. Changed all the coolant hoses and rad hoses while I was in there.

Joel

Last edited by joeld; 11-07-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:58 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Do this job once, spend your money on the Eldebrock. I wish I had.
I go the Edelbrock high volume and the C4 has been raced with the Edelbrock for around 4yrs. The pump is great and never has let me down.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 PM
joeld
Racer

Since we both installed the same Edelbrock w/pump about the same time, I've got a question for you. Did you have any problems burping the coolant system with this pump?
Reason I'm asking is it appears there is still air in my system(89 model) and I've burped it about a dozen times. I've NEVER had this problem with this car over the last 20 years of owning it. I've had the coolant system opened up many times doing various repairs,etc. And always after a few times burping it was fine.
Car is not really running hot, just swings in the temp reading from 195* up to 210* and then back in a really short time. Never did this before this pump.
Just curious about your experience with the new pump.

Thanks
Joel
Old 11-14-2016, 10:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by joeld
Since we both installed the same Edelbrock w/pump about the same time, I've got a question for you. Did you have any problems burping the coolant system with this pump?
Reason I'm asking is it appears there is still air in my system(89 model) and I've burped it about a dozen times. I've NEVER had this problem with this car over the last 20 years of owning it. I've had the coolant system opened up many times doing various repairs,etc. And always after a few times burping it was fine.
Car is not really running hot, just swings in the temp reading from 195* up to 210* and then back in a really short time. Never did this before this pump.

Thanks
Joel
Not on mine but I am a 91
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Joel
I haven't driven mine much since the install but I did notice the temp at 200 + a couple times. Why do you think that indicates a "burp" problem. I think the new pump with bigger vanes will cool the coolant a lot quicker than a stocker. That's why I paid the big bucks. So as you increase RPMs the temp should come down pretty fast.

As I recall either the GM manual or the after market Haynes manual said that the system would need burped if the low coolant light came on and to keep adding coolant until the light no longer came on during routine driving. Or it said something pretty close to that. My light never came on. I did not drain the block, just the rad and I don't remember any spill when the pump was removed. Just the lower hose. I refilled and ran it with the cap off the rad and kept adding 50/50 until the rad was full and stayed full. Then fill over flow to hot full line. Should be all there is to it. I checked the rad a couple times in the days that followed. Still full. Maybe I'll drive it some this weekend and I'll watch it closely. I don't think we will be able to tell much until it gets hot again.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 PM
joeld
Racer

The reason I suspect air in the system is the inconsistent temp read out. The car has always had a steady temp rise and fall with the old pump. Plus, now even at a 60-65 mph drive with ambient temps at 70* the temp will rise to about 205*. This never happened before, with the old pump temp would be just above 195*. And this is with a 195* Stant thermostat.

Actually, I don't see any improvement in engine temps with this new pump. And I didn't need any improvement, only changed pump because of a slight weep hole leak. And only bought Edelbrock because of "quality" concerns.

Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock pump is fine, my '87 runs about 175-180 on a hot day on the motorway with its thermostatic fan set for 180 and the thermostat is a 160deg one.

Not got the bottle for this 220deg stuff!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

The reason I suspect air in the system is the inconsistent temp read out. The car has always had a steady temp rise and fall with the old pump. Plus, now even at a 60-65 mph drive with ambient temps at 70* the temp will rise to about 205*. This never happened before, with the old pump temp would be just above 195*. And this is with a 195* Stant thermostat.

Actually, I don't see any improvement in engine temps with this new pump. And I didn't need any improvement, only changed pump because of a slight weep hole leak. And only bought Edelbrock because of "quality" concerns.

Joel
I don't think you will see improved temperature reading because the thermostat will maintain the temperature it is set to open. It might show in cooling faster on high demand time
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 AM
joeld
Racer

Forget about "improved cooling", didn't need it with old pump, didn't expect it from new pump. My somewhat concern is with the temp spikes now with this new pump. It's more of an annoyance than a problem really.

Thanks
Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 09:53 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Do you notice any coolant level drop?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Firevette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't think you will see improved temperature reading because the thermostat will maintain the temperature it is set to open. It might show in cooling faster on high demand time

I have an Edelbrock pump as well. Quality part, its about 8 years old now. I have a standard rotation version because I changed my belt routing, but basically the same pump.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks
Joel
Did you drill a 1/8 inch bleed hole in thermostat?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:03 AM
joeld
Racer

Do you notice any coolant level drop?

No, not after the first packing and filling. The low coolant warning light has not been on.

Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 10:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Firevette

I have an Edelbrock pump as well. Quality part, its about 8 years old now. I have a standard rotation version because I changed my belt routing, but basically the same pump.
You don't suppose he got the standard version do you?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 AM
joeld
Racer

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Did you drill a 1/8 inch bleed hole in thermostat?

Yes, actually I have two holes drilled in the thermostat. This is the same thermostat that's been in the car for about two years now, Stant 195* and it was just fine.

Joel

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on L98 Water Pump

Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 AM
joeld
Racer

You don't suppose he got the standard version do you?
It looks like a good flow of coolant looking into the radiator with the cap off, but I'm not sure how much flow a "wrong" pump would produce?

But like I said earlier, car does not over heat to the point of being harmful. Just spikes up and down and runs warmer than before, both in town and open road at constant cruise.

Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yes, actually I have two holes drilled in the thermostat. This is the same thermostat that's been in the car for about two years now, Stant 195* and it was just fine.

Joel
Just for the he'll of it, try a new thermostat without the holes
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Just for the he'll of it, try a new thermostat without the holes
That would be a wasted experiment considering the small area they provide. Their only purpose is to let air escape while filling SLOWLY

Quick Reply: Opinions on L98 Water Pump