C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions on L98 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
That would be a wasted experiment considering the small area they provide. Their only purpose is to let air escape while filling SLOWLY
Just unsure if the thermostat has broken or something.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joeld
The reason I suspect air in the system is the inconsistent temp read out. The car has always had a steady temp rise and fall with the old pump. Plus, now even at a 60-65 mph drive with ambient temps at 70* the temp will rise to about 205*. This never happened before, with the old pump temp would be just above 195*. And this is with a 195* Stant thermostat.

Actually, I don't see any improvement in engine temps with this new pump. And I didn't need any improvement, only changed pump because of a slight weep hole leak. And only bought Edelbrock because of "quality" concerns.

Joel
OK, well that's pretty much why I changed mine too. I'm gonna drive it some and I'll let you know.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:28 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason I suspect air in the system is the inconsistent temp read out. The car has always had a steady temp rise and fall with the old pump. Plus, now even at a 60-65 mph drive with ambient temps at 70* the temp will rise to about 205*. This never happened before, with the old pump temp would be just above 195*. And this is with a 195* Stant thermostat.

Actually, I don't see any improvement in engine temps with this new pump. And I didn't need any improvement, only changed pump because of a slight weep hole leak. And only bought Edelbrock because of "quality" concerns.

Joel
OK Joel, just because you are a fellow Georgian I just drove mine on an errand. About 40 miles round trip. Went over on the interstate 70 MPH. Outside air was 65* Car warmed up nicely to about 86 and held that + or - a degree or two until I got off the interstate. in moderate traffic it held 200 to 205 steady. Very normal but may be a couple degrees higher than the stock tstat. I'm not sure as I didn't pay that much atten to the temp and I don't drive it much anyway. As I said above I did not do anything special to "burp" it. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It looks like a good flow of coolant looking into the radiator with the cap off, but I'm not sure how much flow a "wrong" pump would produce?

But like I said earlier, car does not over heat to the point of being harmful. Just spikes up and down and runs warmer than before, both in town and open road at constant cruise.

Joel
IIRC, we have a reverse rotation pump. I have always checked the box with the part number with my notes. Ask me why I think that is a good policy. So, if you get the standard pump, it might fit but the vanes might be in the wrong direction. Just wanting to make sure. Also, do you happen to have a scanner to see what temp the ECM sees while it spikes? I don't really trust the gauge.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyz
OK Joel, just because you are a fellow Georgian I just drove mine on an errand. About 40 miles round trip. Went over on the interstate 70 MPH. Outside air was 65* Car warmed up nicely to about 86 and held that + or - a degree or two until I got off the interstate. in moderate traffic it held 200 to 205 steady. Very normal but may be a couple degrees higher than the stock tstat. I'm not sure as I didn't pay that much atten to the temp and I don't drive it much anyway. As I said above I did not do anything special to "burp" it. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for that! And that is what's starting to pizz me off, mine is running at 200* now on a steady cruise at 60-65 mph. Never ran that warm before.

Thanks
Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
IIRC, we have a reverse rotation pump. I have always checked the box with the part number with my notes. Ask me why I think that is a good policy. So, if you get the standard pump, it might fit but the vanes might be in the wrong direction. Just wanting to make sure. Also, do you happen to have a scanner to see what temp the ECM sees while it spikes? I don't really trust the gauge.
Yea, I do have scanners to check what the ECM is seeing. But, this is not something that's been going on with the car. This only started with the install of the Edelbrock #8815 pump.
And yes these cars do have the reverse rotation pump.

Thanks
Joel
Old 11-15-2016, 07:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Yea, I do have scanners to check what the ECM is seeing. But, this is not something that's been going on with the car. This only started with the install of the Edelbrock #8815 pump.
And yes these cars do have the reverse rotation pump.

Thanks
Joel
Just wanted to rule out that they didn't slip the wrong part in the right box. I had that from Mercedes 3 times in a row and once recently from someone else. Sometimes it is a bad batch or maybe the pump itself is bad.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:47 PM
4xcontractor
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've have the leaking bolt, water pump issue, going to change the pump, so is the edelbrock, not the way to go?- big temp swings?, went to Napa, their generic pump is $39. Shopped on Summit 3 diff pumps edelbrock-8815 $242.92 ; FlowKooler 1688 $116.97 ; Summit sum-312635 $62.97 the last three are all high flow reverse- I guess that's what I want, the base Napa is multi directional, haven't pulled the original Delco to see the impeller direction.

Any follow up to this thread, or any additional pump advice. I leaning toward the summit based on price.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4xcontractor
I've have the leaking bolt, water pump issue, going to change the pump, so is the edelbrock, not the way to go?- big temp swings?, went to Napa, their generic pump is $39. Shopped on Summit 3 diff pumps edelbrock-8815 $242.92 ; FlowKooler 1688 $116.97 ; Summit sum-312635 $62.97 the last three are all high flow reverse- I guess that's what I want, the base Napa is multi directional, haven't pulled the original Delco to see the impeller direction.

Any follow up to this thread, or any additional pump advice. I leaning toward the summit based on price.
I don't know if it can or cannot be multi directional but I would suggest getting the Edelbrock one that is specific to the car or any one that is specific to the car. When my Edelbrock leaked, that is what I replaced it with. Another of the same. After all those years, I guess it don't owe me any more money.

Quick Reply: Opinions on L98 Water Pump