C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question about replacing Bose speakers in 1984 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing Bose speakers in 1984 Corvette

I have a 1984 Corvette that I'm fixing up. I'm replacing the Bose cassette deck with a really nice Pioneer CD unit. I'm also replacing all the speakers. I was going with 6x9 speakers in the rear. Someone told me to keep the Bose speaker enclosures in the rear and replace the Bose speakers with good 4 inch speakers with all new speaker wires. They said with good speakers, I'll get amazing sound reusing the Bose enclosures. Just wondering if anyone has reused their Bose enclosures or had any input? Would i actually get better sound then upgrading to 6x9 speakers? Thank you!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I put a Pioneer receiver in my '84 ,too. I found some Kenwood speakers that would fit into my Bose enclosures, and was surprised at how good it sounded! I don't know how to compare to some good 6 x 9's, since I haven't tried that! If you decided to keep the Bose enclosures, be sure you get a good seal between the back of your speakers and the Bose enclosures.

My Pioneer would drive the Bose speakers directly (I bypassed the Bose amps), but the Pioneer amp got pretty hot because of the super low impedance of the Bose speakers, so decided to go with new speakers.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:05 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I put RF 6x9's in the back of mine and it sounds great.

There's some pictures of adapters in the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

My grills were pretty bad. So, ditching them for standard grills was a plus.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:16 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I put a Pioneer receiver in my '84 ,too. I found some Kenwood speakers that would fit into my Bose enclosures, and was surprised at how good it sounded! I don't know how to compare to some good 6 x 9's, since I haven't tried that! If you decided to keep the Bose enclosures, be sure you get a good seal between the back of your speakers and the Bose enclosures.

My Pioneer would drive the Bose speakers directly (I bypassed the Bose amps), but the Pioneer amp got pretty hot because of the super low impedance of the Bose speakers, so decided to go with new speakers.

Thanks!! Do you recall when you installed your Pioneer receiver, did you have to cut and splice your factory radio harness to the Pioneer harness? I called Crutchfield for a harness kit to plug the factory harness into then wire it to the Pioneer harness. They said there wasn't one available for my application and that I would have to cut my factory radio harness and splice it to the Pioneer harness.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I installed my system over 10 years ago, and it has always worked just fine. I am an EE, so I didn't even think twice about cutting my harness to install the unit. All of my soldered splices are aerospace quality.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

clint, you really need the Electrical FSM to cut and splice to your new system. I changed out my failing 88 Bose radio for a JVC unit. Following the wiring diagrams the E-FSM, I was able to swap systems and speaker wires with no problems. I would share with you on this but my manual is on paper.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about replacing Bose speakers in 1984 Corvette

Quick Reply: Question about replacing Bose speakers in 1984 Corvette