C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oversized Tilt Pins

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:46 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Default Oversized Tilt Pins

So about two years ago I removed the driver side tilt pin in my column and replaced it with an enlarged pin from Marc Haibeck in an effort to reduce the column movement. It helped marginally but not as much as I thought. How much more work is it to remove the passenger side tilt pin and replace it as well? I am assuming the steering wheel will have to come off? Is it that even worth my trouble? I want my steering to feel rock solid.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So about two years ago I removed the driver side tilt pin in my column and replaced it with an enlarged pin from Marc Haibeck in an effort to reduce the column movement. It helped marginally but not as much as I thought. How much more work is it to remove the passenger side tilt pin and replace it as well? I am assuming the steering wheel will have to come off? Is it that even worth my trouble? I want my steering to feel rock solid.
Not sure what you paid but the other side is a bit harder and try these.

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/GM/Pins/
Old 10-30-2016, 07:16 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Not sure what you paid but the other side is a bit harder and try these.

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/GM/Pins/

Yes I realize the other side is a bit harder which is the reason behind this post. just curious how much further I have to dig to replace the passenger side pin.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Alright here is a quick video of what I'm dealing with. It's a small amount, maybe a 1/4". Would you guys go through the hassle of replacing tilt knuckles or the column with this much?

https://youtu.be/a7BuvpZphPM
Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I honestly wouldn't. Because to me, pulling the column apart is a PITA. It doesn't look bad at all. I've seen much worse.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

They had a bit when new.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Quick tilt pin fix: Place the pin on a solid surface like a vice anvil & center punch mark a half dozen spots around the pin. The center punch will raise the metal several thou surrounding each mark. Drive the pin back in = done deal.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:43 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the Reply's guys!

Alright well I stripped the column down, pulled the pins, dimpled them as church key suggested (awesome idea), put JB weld on the pins, and reinstalled with a brass punch and a hammer. I let it cure 24 hours. Play is still there!!

So either:
1. The 4 bolts further in the column are loose.
2. Something else is worn
3. It's completely normal
4. It may drive me crazy and I go buy another column only to have the same thing?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah the lower bolts are probably loose. Repaired numerous GM tilt columns in theft vehicles but its been awhile since the last one = memory is fuzzy. Found a video with the procedure.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Yeah the lower bolts are probably loose. Repaired numerous GM tilt columns in theft vehicles but its been awhile since the last one = memory is fuzzy. Found a video with the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsIWG-hRfy0
Well, I'm definitely not going to strip the column down again. It's either getting sent out or I'm just going to buy another one that is refurbished. Unless it's not even worth it with the marginal play that i have? Idk I just feel like a sports car should have everything tight and precise.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey View Post

Yeah the lower bolts are probably loose. Repaired numerous GM tilt columns in theft vehicles but its been awhile since the last one = memory is fuzzy. Found a video with the procedure
I have done a lot of these myself but its been a while. I think it would be worth your time and should tighten it up for you. IIrc you have to grind down the socket you are using to get at one of the bolts.

Gary
Old 11-06-2016, 05:32 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

So after further reading and playing around I think the play is in the detent pawl and not the pins or the bolts. If I place the tilt wheel all the way at the bottom there is maybe an 1/8" of play. If I move the column up one click there is still about an 1/8" of play. If I move the column up one more click the play is completely gone (or nearly gone you really have to push to feel it). If I move the column up another click the 1/8 play returns. Once the column is all the way to the top there is no more play. So, there are 2 positions on the column where there is NO play. The nice thing is that one of the middle positions is where I like to drive and there is NO play. For now, I am going to leave it. An 1/8" worth of play in the other positions is not enough for me to strip the column down and investigate or replace the column all together. I always find myself trying to make something perfect, only to make it worse or cause another problem. For now its "good enough" for me and I'm not sure a refurbished or low mile column would be any better. Would I like it to be perfect in every tilt position? Yes. But, I honestly never adjust the tilt mechanism once it is set anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

So after further reading and playing around I think the play is in the detent pawl and not the pins or the bolts. If I place the tilt wheel all the way at the bottom there is maybe an 1/8" of play. If I move the column up one click there is still about an 1/8" of play. If I move the column up one more click the play is completely gone (or nearly gone you really have to push to feel it). If I move the column up another click the 1/8 play returns. Once the column is all the way to the top there is no more play. So, there are 2 positions on the column where there is NO play. The nice thing is that one of the middle positions is where I like to drive and there is NO play. For now, I am going to leave it. An 1/8" worth of play in the other positions is not enough for me to strip the column down and investigate or replace the column all together. I always find myself trying to make something perfect, only to make it worse or cause another problem. For now its "good enough" for me and I'm not sure a refurbished or low mile column would be any better. Would I like it to be perfect in every tilt position? Yes. But, I honestly never adjust the tilt mechanism once it is set anyway.

Thoughts?
Sounds like new.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:54 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Sounds like new.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:05 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

There's a little wiggle against the spring and the pawl. just so long as it doesn't travel in that diagonal downward direction, then both pins are tight (or tight enough). actually when on the road, it seems to tighten up...maybe from the road force on the shaft somehow...

I pulled my column to make it easier to work on...you may have seen my posts in searches..there isn't anything easy about the job.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:25 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mike100
There's a little wiggle against the spring and the pawl. just so long as it doesn't travel in that diagonal downward direction, then both pins are tight (or tight enough). actually when on the road, it seems to tighten up...maybe from the road force on the shaft somehow...

I pulled my column to make it easier to work on...you may have seen my posts in searches..there isn't anything easy about the job.
That's good to hear. According to Marc Haibeck 1/4" of play is acceptable in a new column. The play I have now is straight up and down no more down and to the left (that i was experiencing before I installed the oversized pin). How much play does yours have if any?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I worked in company cars at the Arlington factory in 94 and drove many right off the truck. Find something else to obsess over.

And if you really JB welded it you are screwed any ways.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-06-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:02 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

I worked in company cars at the Arlington factory in 94 and drove many right off the truck. Find something else to obsess over.

And if you really JB welded it you are screwed any ways.
Screwed how? I would just replace the column if need be.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Screwed how? I would just replace the column if need be.
Pretty sure he's saying that brand new cars, right off the truck, had the same exact play you're reporting.

Get notified of new replies

To Oversized Tilt Pins

Quick Reply: Oversized Tilt Pins