C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Voltage drain on my 1996 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Jway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage drain on my 1996 LT1

I have a problem on my 96 LT1 that has been going on since I got the car last December. If it sits for 2 or 3 days the battery is drained. I have gone through the procedure of removing the fuses one at a time without any results. I have noticed that when I disconnect the neg. battery cable that the drivers side headlight operator motor bumps like it getting momentary voltage. This makes me wonder if the headlight actuator module is the problem.

The part # on the module I have is 16521297. After going online looking for a new module I have found that on the GM parts sites they are listing part #16523917 as the replacement. On one site I went to said that the 16523917 is not a replacement for the 16521297. Can anyone confirm if the two modules are interchangeable?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Jway

The part # on the module I have is 16521297. After going online looking for a new module I have found that on the GM parts sites they are listing part #16523917 as the replacement. On one site I went to said that the 16523917 is not a replacement for the 16521297. Can anyone confirm if the two modules are interchangeable?
To answer your question - YES I believe that the newer 16523917 is a current service number for the 16521297 on your part. Visit a GM DEALER to verify if you like.

Do I believe it's your issue? I'd say unlikely and if you just unplugged the module for several days and you still have the draw that creates the loss of power then I'd say you've confirmed that it's NOT. Have you attempted to learn how to do a 'parasitic draw'? Maybe just unplug the LH H/L lift motor.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Jway
Intermediate

I did unplug power to the module and voltage draw ceased. I did fail to mention that in my post. I have not tried disconnecting the lift motors. That would be worth a try. If it is one of the motors it will be less expensive than the module.

I did go by the local Chevy dealer this morning and it was confirmed that the 16523917 replaced the 16521297.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM
stanleyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just have to keep looking. I had the same problem 87 vert, chased it for 2 years. One day my wife says hey, your vet is making a funny noise. I run out to it and I can hear a slight hum at the drivers seat. Turns out the sport seat was shorting out some times. I unplugged it and problem solved. Everything is not powered through those fuse blocks. Good luck
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Jway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stanleyz
You just have to keep looking. I had the same problem 87 vert, chased it for 2 years. One day my wife says hey, your vet is making a funny noise. I run out to it and I can hear a slight hum at the drivers seat. Turns out the sport seat was shorting out some times. I unplugged it and problem solved. Everything is not powered through those fuse blocks. Good luck
Thanks, I may need it. I have been chasing this down for almost a year. I think I have it narrowed down to either the headlight actuator module or one of the motors. We will see.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyz
I also had a drain that I had troubles tracking down. In my case it was the power seats but it was caused by something the wife put in the console well that was pressing down on the power seat controls. There are circuit breakers on the leading side of the fuse block, and one of them controls the seats and alarm. I found this little tool at HF, you pull a fuse (or circuit breaker with a couple of adapters) and plug it in, it shows how much draw is going through any circuit up to 30 amps.
When mine was causing issues, if you unhooked the negative battery cable, there was still 19 amps draw if you put an amp meter from the block to the negative post on the block.

Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Jway
Intermediate

hcbph Thanks. I have a HF not too far from away I'll pick one up and try it.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Jway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
To answer your question - YES I believe that the newer 16523917 is a current service number for the 16521297 on your part. Visit a GM DEALER to verify if you like.

Do I believe it's your issue? I'd say unlikely and if you just unplugged the module for several days and you still have the draw that creates the loss of power then I'd say you've confirmed that it's NOT. Have you attempted to learn how to do a 'parasitic draw'? Maybe just unplug the LH H/L lift motor.
I now agree with you. After going in and starting from the module it now appears that it is ok and the problem is the right headlight motor. Thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Voltage drain on my 1996 LT1

Quick Reply: Voltage drain on my 1996 LT1