C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Brake Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1994 Brake Upgrade Question

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 1994 ZR-1 and want to know whether this rear brake kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261943243573

will work on a 94 Corvette. What changed between 1984-87 and 88-96? This kit is for the early years, and there isn't one available anywhere for the 88-96 model Corvettes.

I am going to use this on the front and want some Wilwoods that match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261842709577
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Biggest difference in the years is that the 84-7 rear brakes had an internal drum-type parking brake. The rotor "hat" served as the drum. '88 and later C4's used the rear caliper for the parking brake.

So the difference could be in the dimensions (depth) of the rotor hat. Did you contact Wilwood directly to see if they make a rear conversion kit for the later year C4's?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:28 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

They don't.

For the C4 you have a choice of the complete rear big brakes on the 84-87 or rotors only on the 88-96 years.

Only the older cars have the 'drum in disc' set ups allowing for full four pot and larger rotor options. The later cars; you're stuck with the combo parking brake caliper you have now. There are no tween or conversion kits produced by Wilwood. *Doesn't mean someone hasn't offered something...possibly including Wiwood calipers even, but I've not seen them and they are not produced by Wilwood.

C4 KITS
Old 11-07-2016, 02:29 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
They don't.

For the C4 you have a choice of the complete rear big brakes on the 84-87 or rotors only on the 88-96 years.

Only the older cars have the 'drum in disc' set ups allowing for full four pot and larger rotor options. The later cars; you're stuck with the combo parking brake caliper you have now. There are no tween or conversion kits produced by Wilwood. *Doesn't mean someone hasn't offered something...possibly including Wiwood calipers even, but I've not seen them and they are not produced by Wilwood.

C4 KITS
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON
Hmm I wonder is the picture is off for that 87 rear kit. They are call them 4 piston narrow lites but they sure look like 4 piston DPC56s for the C5
Thats part of what is making me think alot about this. Those 84-87 parts look like the same calipers to me. The difference has to be the rotors, and how the parking brake functions. I can tell the Hat on the 84-87 hit is taller or deeper, I guess the parking brake kit goes inside.

I emailed the guys doing the Street Shop mod mentioned on the ZR-1 Forum and got some pictures of their parts, which look like they have to fit inside that part of the rotor, so I'm not sure how the C5 Rotor would work at all, but supposedly I would by the C5 Caliper and Rotor package and use the parts sold below on my C4. I've been told I will also need longer wheel studs and different caliper bolts and have a source for them, but would the C5 Rotor cause my wheels to offset out further than normal? The street shop mods are currently sold to upgrade from C4 to C5 brakes all around. So I figure the C5 Willwoods would work just fine with this.

Does the C5 use a drum parking brake?

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Brake Upgrade Question

Quick Reply: 1994 Brake Upgrade Question