C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How long could this have been leaking for and source? Photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 AM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How long could this have been leaking for and source? Photos

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I removed the oil filter from my C4 today to check for any metal particles. It was recommended by some of you here since I have an engine ticking noise to check for bearing failure. Oil filter looked fine but I found an oil leak that looks like its spread out pretty far or its multiple leaks of course. I am new to diagnosing car issues so excuse my lack of knowledge if this is a dumb question and the source of the leaks are obvious.

The car is pretty new to me, it was not leaking oil when I bought it but I didnt take a really good look underneath. It started to drip a few weeks ago a little after I noticed the ticking noise. It will drip a few drops in only 1 area but not enough to make it a tiny puddle or spread on the ground.

Where the dripping happens, center of front side of car under the engine

Noticed more here under valve covers

Also, even though its not dripping much oil should I be checking my oil level weekly? Not sure if a lot of it evaporates before hitting the ground.

Last edited by woodstockdrifter; 11-07-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by woodstockdrifter
Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I removed the oil filter from my C4 today to check for any metal particles. It was recommended by some of you here since I have an engine ticking noise to check for bearing failure. Oil filter looked fine but I found an oil leak that looks like its spread out pretty far or its multiple leaks of course. I am new to diagnosing car issues so excuse my lack of knowledge if this is a dumb question and the source of the leaks are obvious.

The car is pretty new to me, it was not leaking oil when I bought it but I didnt take a really good look underneath. It started to drip a few weeks ago a little after I noticed the ticking noise. It will drip a few drops in only 1 area but not enough to make it a tiny puddle or spread on the ground.

Where the dripping happens, center of front side of car under the engine

Noticed more here under valve covers

Also, even though its not dripping much oil should I be checking my oil level weekly? Not sure if a lot of it evaporates before hitting the ground.
It's a 30 yr old car. A little oil leak is common. If it's just a spot on the ground it's nothing to worry about. Your engine is certainly not going to fail because of it.

I don't see how removing the oil filter is going to help you with determining engine wear.

Injectors tic pretty loud sometimes.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Why don't we wash it all clean and start again with dye and a blacklight?
The following users liked this post:
woodstockdrifter (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:10 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Why don't we wash it all clean and start again with dye and a blacklight?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:27 AM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My 1985 leaked and it was dripping underneath. When I installed new injectors and had the top of the engine off I found about half of the manifold bolts loose. I just re-torqued them to spec and have not had one drop of oil on the floor since.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TBSS/85vette
My 1985 leaked and it was dripping underneath. When I installed new injectors and had the top of the engine off I found about half of the manifold bolts loose. I just re-torqued them to spec and have not had one drop of oil on the floor since.
You lucked out . That has never worked for me. I usually end up replacing the gaskets .
Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If it were my car I would start with replacing the valve cover gaskets. They are obviously leaking from your pictures and they are cheap and easy to replace. After that I would pressure wash the underside and put some dye in the oil and hit it with a black light like Aklim suggested. That will tell you exactly where the rest of the oil is coming from.
The following users liked this post:
woodstockdrifter (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 PM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
If it were my car I would start with replacing the valve cover gaskets. They are obviously leaking from your pictures and they are cheap and easy to replace. After that I would pressure wash the underside and put some dye in the oil and hit it with a black light like Aklim suggested. That will tell you exactly where the rest of the oil is coming from.
That's what I will do. Thank you guys for the replies.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by woodstockdrifter
That's what I will do. Thank you guys for the replies.
Let your fingers do the walking. Touch the area just below the VC and see if it feels oily. FWIW, that isn't necessarily the end of it. You might have other leaks but that is the highest point. I would do the VC gaskets if you have to and wash it all of with brake cleaner so you have a clean start after the VC gaskets. When it is off, dump some dye and I would double strength it so it comes out clear.

Get notified of new replies

To How long could this have been leaking for and source? Photos

Quick Reply: How long could this have been leaking for and source? Photos