C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Race Car Build - roadrace, endurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm back with some new updates...

After the cage was put in we knew that we have to concentrate on suspension and stopping. For the brakes and to stay within the rules we decided to upgrade the front to C5 brakes. We found a used set of calipers, made our own brackets and added power stop rotors. For the rear we are going to use the stock set up with new rotors...
Attached Images    
Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

On to the suspension

First thing after looking at the front end you can see it needs attention. So we decided to replace all of the bushings and ball joints, and since the front was all apart we decided to install the lowering kit and also replace the shocks.
Attached Images         
Old 12-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

The next task on our list was to get the exhaust resolved. After thinking about what our application is going to be we decided that it would be better to get the exhaust out from under the car.

This way if we have to work under the car on the trans, clutch etc. we won't have to worry about taking the exhaust off. All we have to worry about is burning our selves getting in and out of the car. But hay it looks cool and if it isn't dangerous its not racing...
Attached Images       
The following users liked this post:
Joey Genitempo (03-29-2024)
Old 12-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Now with the car on the ground we can see how much lower all that work did for us...

Well that was a little disappointing... wish it would have sat a little lower maybe it will settle down a little lower
Old 12-25-2016, 04:09 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
Now with the car on the ground we can see how much lower all that work did for us...

Well that was a little disappointing... wish it would have sat a little lower maybe it will settle down a little lower
when you took that photo and the car rolled back-and-forth on the driveway? It will not fully settle until it has been moved. Does this on a normal car without the Loring package after it's been up on jackstands and you Lower it until it's driven very short. Allowing the suspension to re-position itself
Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Those side pipes though...
The following 2 users liked this post by 1985 Corvette:
Joey Genitempo (03-29-2024), racerxl83 (07-22-2020)
Old 12-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 368 Likes on 304 Posts

I like your aero direction! Awhile back I vented the wheel well liners to the gill. And have since thought of expanding the gill vent like you have. Will you cut a large vent in the liner or remove it entirely? The liner to the front blocks a lot of tire crud fling.

That hood vent looks great too! Will you box the intake tubing inside the radiator hot air path or isolate it by doing ducting around it?

The suspension will settle some! It can be quite a bit depending on what type of parts were used and how they were installed. Some should be final tightened at ride height so binding isn't hanging it up.
1966ponyguy (07-17-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The C5 front brakes are a great mod to help bring the speed down. Did you get and install a brake bias spring for the master cylinder? You will need one. IIRC, Doug Rippie Motorsports has them for about $25. They have springs for both ABS and non-ABS systems.

Front hubs will be a wear item. Depending on the course and the tires, you could easily destroy a pair of front hubs in no time. Look for Timkin or SKF hubs that fit the early C4 (84-87). I also used ARP wheel studs that were about 3" long and a .509 knurl.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:37 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
The next task on our list was to get the exhaust resolved. After thinking about what our application is going to be we decided that it would be better to get the exhaust out from under the car.

This way if we have to work under the car on the trans, clutch etc. we won't have to worry about taking the exhaust off. All we have to worry about is burning our selves getting in and out of the car. But hay it looks cool and if it isn't dangerous its not racing...
Guys,
I love the sidepipes my only question is that those rocker panels are urethane I be extremely concerned about the heat coming off those pipes. You might want to section the rocker panels and use sheet stainless in the cutouts to handle the heat. If you look at a photo of the C6R and C7R they have stainless stand offs where the exhaust exits their rockers. Love to watch your build. Best wishes!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

The side pipes are cool! IMHO would look even better black.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:43 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

The welds on your frame repair and rollbar / cage are nice...and I've seen pic's of welds on C4 frames that didn't look anywhere as clean..so I.ve got to ask can you share any of the welding techniques you used? problems you encountered?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:52 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Those side pipes though...
I've wrapped exhausts where the temp went from you couldn't even hold your hand near the exhaust to you could actually touch it (but not for long, lol) without being burned. besides using multiple layers of wrap, what I did, and I think it helped, was to soak the wrap with high temperature exhaust paint as I wrapped the exhaust.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 12-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Thanks for all the nice comments...

On the body mods I'll post some more pics. Right now we plan on keeping the front liners but the back had to go for the side vents.

On the brake bias we have an adjustable brake bias valve plumbed in, this way we can adjust it if needed.

The side pipes will be painted black and we are going to install header wrap on the pipes that run under the floor. As for the rockers I think our car is missing the factory rockers, all we have is steel sheet metal under the door.

On the welding, that is my teammate's handy work. He is a great fabricator and we're lucky to have him. I gues it helps that he is actually an Airplane mechanic / fabricator by trade.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:03 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

THIS is what C4 area should be!!! FUN STUFF!! Taking a forgotten and unloved $1300 car and making it kick A** again.

Subbed!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
THIS is what C4 area should be!!! FUN STUFF!! Taking a forgotten and unloved $1300 car and making it kick A** again.

Subbed!!!
X2. Totally.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

ive been flamed and called names on this forum for making this suggestion, but i will say it again.

i would like to create a c4-r that competes and beats the c6r and c7r race teams.

tube chassis. titanium and carbon fiber parts. better brakes and better tires. better drivers.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:10 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ive been flamed and called names on this forum for making this suggestion, but i will say it again.

i would like to create a c4-r that competes and beats the c6r and c7r race teams.

tube chassis. titanium and carbon fiber parts. better brakes and better tires. better drivers.
Why you have been flamed I can't understand. I think it's a great idea. I have owned a C5 and thought it was a great car. I have had a mid year and several C-4's. My favorite body styles are the Mid Year and the C-4. That is not to say I did not like the other generations. My 99 was the one I like to drive because of the engineering. Each has their pluses and minuses. I certainly would not knock someones dream to build an awesome car of any kind.
ghoastrider1 (05-25-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Race Car Build - roadrace, endurance

Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
Why you have been flamed I can't understand. I think it's a great idea.
IDK if he's really been "flamed"...the legitimate point was made that by the time he has a "tube chassis. titanium and carbon fiber parts. better brakes and...." ...and all the other things he listed previously, it will be a purpose built, C4-looking car...not a C4. So, what is the point in that? It's not a C4, so it's not really "proving what a C4 can do". The other point that I believe was made was that if he wants to see that done so much, he should do it.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Going to install, Trackspec vents on hood?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I just found this thread, you are doing a really great job thanks for sharing with us. I just did a similar brake upgrade on my C4 and it makes a difference, but you will want to get the DRM bias spring, it is easy to install.

I also had that issue with ride height when I redid my suspension, it might have to do with removing a bunch of weight under the hood, but in my case the leaf spring went from a gentle Bend to having a U-shape while it was out of the car for a couple months, I rocked the car up and down every day for a month and it never settled to proper height on the front, the rear was fine on mine. I ended up putting coilovers on the front...

Best of luck on your race car I look forward to watching your awesome project progress.

-DMITTZ

Quick Reply: C4 Race Car Build - roadrace, endurance