C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

snapped a half shaft, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:53 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by POLOVETTE 94
Thanks Will.
Why do you have to replace the ring and pinion already? Do you race at Mason Dixon? If so, I think I have seen you run. Who did your rear? Was it one of the available bolts in kits, or a custom install? I always expected the carbon fiber to snap or the u joints to break, but I was surprised to see the weld on the end of the aluminum tube section actually sheared off.
Stuff wears out. The ring gear is cratering on the drive face. 2yrs is about what you can expect out of a 3100lbs car cutting 1.20 60fts on a 275 radial running a regular gear. I'm trying out a REM polished gear this time to see if last any better. If not, I'll have to move up to the 9.5" or 10" Pro Mod big pinion gear sets. We'll see because the car is going to get alot faster next year... looking to be in 1.1X 60fts.

I do race at Masons Dixon. I run the MPC Real Street class.

One race, I remember seeing a very nice looking Green C4 with Fisk? wheels... Yours? I wanted to find you and say hi but I was having problems and didn't get the chance. Next time I see your car, I'll make time.

Dominic Cimino at DC Performance working out of Maryland Performance Specialties in Baltimore did the rear suspension and cage in my car. Its a 2005+ S197 Mustang style 3 link rear suspension. It was all custom built. I had a few options under the "stock suspension" rules of the class but the 3 link seemed to me to be a perfect fit for the car... So thats what I told him to build. Dominic does exellent work, he's a very talented fabricator and everything is what I wanted.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 11-24-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:53 PM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Stuff wears out. The ring gear is cratering on the drive face. 2yrs is about what you can expect out of a 3100lbs car cutting 1.20 60fts on a 275 radial running a regular gear. I'm trying out a REM polished gear this time to see if last any better. If not, I'll have to move up to the 9.5" or 10" Pro Mod big pinion gear sets. We'll see because the car is going to get alot faster next year... looking to be in 1.1X 60fts.

I do race at Masons Dixon. I run the MPC Real Street class.

One race, I remember seeing a very nice looking Green C4 with Fisk? wheels... Yours? I wanted to find you and say hi but I was having problems and didn't get the chance. Next time I see your car, I'll make time.

Dominic Cimino at DC Performance working out of Maryland Performance Specialties in Baltimore did the rear suspension and cage in my car. Its a 2005+ S197 Mustang style 3 link rear suspension. It was all custom built. I had a few options under the "stock suspension" rules of the class but the 3 link seemed to me to be a perfect fit for the car... So thats what I told him to build. Dominic does exellent work, he's a very talented fabricator and everything is what I wanted.
Will
Yes Will, that would be me! I was looking at the 4 link options from Carroll's Rod and Racecraft, or SkiDownIt (if he's still doing them). Could you explain or post pics of the 3 link setup? I'm not really familiar. The 12 bolt from Carroll looks to be about $5000, maybe you could PM me the approximate cost from DC?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by POLOVETTE 94
Yes Will, that would be me! I was looking at the 4 link options from Carroll's Rod and Racecraft, or SkiDownIt (if he's still doing them). Could you explain or post pics of the 3 link setup? I'm not really familiar. The 12 bolt from Carroll looks to be about $5000, maybe you could PM me the approximate cost from DC?
Here's the thread where I posted the pics of the 3 link I had from the build. It's pretty simple with 2 lower links, and single upper link and a panhandle bar track locator.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

I have about $6,000.00 in mine but you could knock a bunch off by building with a less expensive Nodular center section instead of the aluminum thru bolt deal I used.... as well as reusing the factory brakes or simple GM metric instead of the Wildwood Dyna-Pro brakes I used, which were very expensive .
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 11-29-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:58 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Who made your carbon fiber half shafts?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
Who made your carbon fiber half shafts?
I believe I got them from Van Steel. It was back in 2003 or so.

Quick Reply: snapped a half shaft, need advice