C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

restoring a 1986 manual 4+3 "z31" PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default door panels and interior black panels are 100% refurbed.

ok first of all, here is the thread that i started documenting the door panel repair. they are 100% refurbed and as new.

i also documented the dash panel refurb in that thread. they look new.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3935134-rebuilding-repairing-1986-doors.html

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 03-22-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default seat refurb.

my seats. they are this awesome medium grey color with the silver overtones. LOVE THEM

my 87 has "graphite" and i just took the winter cover off it today and i realized how much i like the medium grey silvery color better. but i can see how the market would prefer graphite and black better.

anyway, seats are alot of money and i cant find perforated seats with the corvette embroidered on them. im sure they are out there but its a very pretty penny no doubt. too rich for a $650 corvette refurb anyway.

SO i have a guy here in my city who says he can make them look almost new again and plump up the foam for $650. thats both seats. using the perforated leater to repair the bolsters and can match the silvery color. this way i keep the stock seats and which i adore and i also keep the price down. here are some before shots lets see what happens!

i dont mind worn/creased but clean leather but i hate the trashed look!!!!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Curious to see how they come out

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 03-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah when the cost of the vet is $650, it's pretty tough to do much to the car without doubling or tripling your acquisition cost!I've seen this guys work before on my uncles 68 Camaro he has stock interior that looks amazing after this guy had his way with it.

I am confident the seats will look seven or eight out of 10. Otherwise I would just buy new seats
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Great project.

I was looking at your SPID label and noticed MK2. When I had my 4+3's I did some research into them. Most listings only show MK2 or MH5 with the description of "Manual 4-speed Doug Nash transmission", but they don't show the OD ratio difference. The MH5 has a 0.60 OD ratio and your MK2 has a .068 OD ratio.

You may have found this already, but I thought I would share the info.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QCVette
Great project.

I was looking at your SPID label and noticed MK2. When I had my 4+3's I did some research into them. Most listings only show MK2 or MH5 with the description of "Manual 4-speed Doug Nash transmission", but they don't show the OD ratio difference. The MH5 has a 0.60 OD ratio and your MK2 has a .068 OD ratio.

You may have found this already, but I thought I would share the info.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

good morning QC, I did not know that thank you for that bit of information! That would mean that this car would get slightly less gas mileage, then the car with the .6 correct?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
....That would mean that this car would get slightly less gas mileage, then the car with the .6 correct?
Correct. But not by a great deal.

I had an '87 with the 0.6 that got really good mileage. On a 1000 mile trip from Denver to central IL got 30 mpg on a speed limit cruise control trip. (We bought the car there and my wife was driving our other car behind me, so I couldn't play too much.)

My '85 was a 0.68 and would get about 25 or 26 cruise on the highway, but it was set up a little differently so it may not be a fair comparison.

I expect the difference would only be about 1 or 2 mpg between the two ratios.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:14 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default manual seat rail refurb. passenger side.

I knew the seat rails were in rough shape because there are rust stains were the amount through the carpet. They are a total disaster like most things in this car! Until I get through with them anyway!I gave them a good scrubbing the sink and tomorrow I will find a metal paint that matches the steel color. I am aiming for making things the same colour as they were from the factory. even the seat rails!

after pulling them from the super hot water I wipe them off and then crank the heat in my house and leave them on top of the heat register with the small blanket over them to bake the rest of the moisture out so as to avoid rust inside the track. tomorrow I will leave the tracks and spray with whatever colour I find is a good match. I will tape off the rubber handle.

I will be delivering the seats to the leather upholsterer for their refurb this weekend.

this will open up the car so I can die the carpets to match the original medium gray carpet color. I have a few spots on the carpet that were protected from the sun and I can see the original color.

they work fine they're just ugly as heck.
there were four rust spots in the carpet at these feet. I wonder why?
The heat register is getting them good and warm and that towel is keeping the heat in there like an oven this way I don't have to worry about rust forming.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default cleaning up the centre consul

The centre consul and transmission tunnel black ABS plastic frame was disgusting. There was mouse poop and based on the smell pretty sure mouse **** too.

I carefully extracted from the transmission tunnel and removed all electrical fittings. I then gave it a big bath in hot water and dish soap. It worked great! A cotton ball with isopropyl alcohol cleared up the white haze that became revealed after the wash. in the small cargo tray. ive got some minor plastic welding to do and then good as new.

i do this stuff after wifey has gone to bed haha.
most of the plastic screw locations are broken/cracked. quick touchup with soldering pen and will be good.
this car csme withadjustable driver seats. the houding for the switches was missing. broken. lego to ghe rescue. ill have to find a cheap abs sheet source.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You mentioned staining in the rear hatch, the struts can leak over time and will damage the carpet. I experienced this on my '85, before you put good carpet in you should probably replace those struts.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thnx for this tip. i did notice my 87's were weeping. these on the 86 are dry.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

do you have the medium gray carpet? The colour looks like mine after feeding. Almost a light blue.

Originally Posted by convas
My bronze seats, can see now they are darker than yours.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Just FYI this is what the area under the struts looked like.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

that is exactly what my 87 looks like! I wondered what it was I figured the sun had burned it or something. Are you for sure that is from leaking struts? Makes sense,
Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

that is exactly what my 87 looks like! I wondered what it was I figured the sun had burned it or something. Are you for sure that is from leaking struts? Makes sense,
It is the best I can figure since the area that looked bad was immediately under the struts, obviously the entire carpet was sun faded on my car, you can see the difference around the speaker holes. I had the same issue in the exact same spot on both sides and the struts were pretty dead on the hatch. It had sat for about 4 or 5 years before I started working on it.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default seats going out for rebuild

Old 03-25-2017, 01:49 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

just dropped them off at the upholstery guy. i think maybe they were a bit further gone than he realized. lets see what happens!

i figure $750 cad which $560 usd if he can make them look and feel new *almost* again that is a great plan and will retain the original perforated leather seats WHICH I LOVE.

Get notified of new replies

To restoring a 1986 manual 4+3 "z31" PICS

Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default things are coming along quite nicely with the restoration

things are coming along quite nicely with the restoration. I thought I had a roadblock preparing a welder that would damage the carpet and plastic down at the driver side seat belt fastener against the transmission tunnel. Here is the thread I detailed removing a completely seized and stripped bolt.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3963370-how-to-remove-seized-and-stripped-seatbelt-bolt.html#post1594387226

I have now found what two of the separate wires underneath the transmission tunnel consul ABS skeleton were four: the seatbelt indicator on the driver side. I also discovered the pigtail off the main harness for the centre console light.
Again, it is very apparent to me that whoever put this car back together after it was repainted, was probably not the person who dismantled it.

most things were not put back together correctly. But the great news is that everything is here!

well my seats are being refurbished, my next project is to finish removing all of the carpet and give them a deep clean and a dye job back to factory color. It's honestly not that bad, I can see the original medium gray colour on areas that have been covered from the sun. The faded portion in the back is your typical baby blue colour and with a bottle of Grey die and a squirt bottle mixed with very hot water from the cattle and the die I can bring it back. but I have to do a major cleaning first. I will post pictures when I can.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Mine is identical! I thought it was sun as well but the previous owner swears the car was garage kept all its life and based on the excellent condition of the dash panel and the paint I believe it. That does make perfect sense.

Your car is looking great! I just ordered the carpet for mine and am getting some sound proofing put down while it is out.

Are you having to repair any of the seat functions? Some of the functions don't work on mine but I'm debating how far to fix or repair them. If it's like the digital dash I may get in deep quick! The major stuff works so I may just let it go.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver85

Are you having to repair any of the seat functions? Some of the functions don't work on mine but I'm debating how far to fix or repair them. If it's like the digital dash I may get in deep quick! The major stuff works so I may just let it go.

as a matter of fact, i discovered that my power seat motors do work! the brown plug had been smashed somehow. nothing some crazy glue wont fix but i will have to use my 87 as s guide because i took s guess at which wires went where and when i pressed up the seat went forward and back went down etc etc.

i just guessed. but the motors worked !

Quick Reply: restoring a 1986 manual 4+3 "z31" PICS