C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What goes into a "crate" motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:30 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Technically, a crate engine is a new engine consisting of all new components, it is NOT a rebuilt engine. Rebuilts are just that; used engines that have been gone through.

Last edited by rocco16; 12-06-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Right next to yours.
Mine is parked in Hartford CT with a metallurgist that runs a precision casting house that makes everything from custom cylinder heads to microwave guides for the military to communications towers and everything in between. When ever I have I new product that has considerable stress to handle and an application new to my shop we talk.

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufac...engthening.pdf
Old 12-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

That motor (in the first post) is what my prof in auto school woudl call a "10,000 mile rebuild". Terrible.

Caterpillar does. At work, we bought premium, 5 year/8000 hr, extended warranties on all of our Caterpillar C9 engines in our snow cats. During a summer service we found metal in the oil in one that had about 4000 hours on it, this past summer. CAT came up, assessed the engine and decided to pull it. They took it down to Wheeler in SLC and determined that the block was cracked....it needed a new block. 3 months later (!) we got it back. I asked what had been done to it and was told that it got a new block. Upon further investigation, I learned that the block is all that they replaced! They literally, stuck to the word of the warranty and replaced only the broken part; the block. So they re-used all of our 4000 hr parts!!;pistons, bearing shells, rings, cam, lifters, oil pump....everything. You want to talk about a junkyard rebuild....CAT did it. With a premium warranty, I expected that when our engine failed, we'd get a reman'ed engine. Not a 4000 hr, reused-parts engine.
So who puts old parts in a rebuilt motor? Caterpillar does.

Wow. Talk about "American Greed". That REALLY sucks.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

It sure does/did. It was incredibly disappointing. We won't be buying CAT extended warranties anymore, that's for sure.

ddahlgren, I'll have to read that doc later. Not sure what you meant my "parked in CT"...sounds like you have the same degree in metallurgy that I have; none.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Surprising about CAT wow
FWIW talked to a main sales rep at Jasper not necessary to have them install to warranty. Saves a bunch. 1500 + extras is crazy money
Have to wonder if there was a claim how much if any finger pointing would be going on.

Last edited by cv67; 12-07-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:37 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

It sure does/did. It was incredibly disappointing. We won't be buying CAT extended warranties anymore, that's for sure.

ddahlgren, I'll have to read that doc later. Not sure what you meant my "parked in CT"...sounds like you have the same degree in metallurgy that I have; none.
My engineering degrees are not the question what is at question is your statement that ageing cast iron is all smoke and mirrors when in fact it is not. Read the attached research paper and see the results. 60 was the extent of testing as funded for years to do extended testing. I would consider as much as a 13.5% increase in 60 days to be a marked improvement with no final time listed as to when improvement ends.

Other metals also harden with room temperature aging as well though most solution aged to speed the process and get the material to market sooner.

My suggestion is to do a little research before spouting opinion and inferring others have no clue as I take great offense to it and have no reservations about calling someone out when wrong lacking an open mind.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
My suggestion is to do a little research before spouting opinion and inferring others have no clue as I take great offense to it and have no reservations about calling someone out when wrong lacking an open mind.
You mean...like in the spring thread?

Un like you, I can admit when I am wrong. Unlike you, I can learn.

I've learned something here, and I appreciate that. Thanks for posting the link. Still, that isn't the same as a junk yard motor, and the implication that the used motor is better b/c of heat cycling. But it does indeed appear that something happens to the metal over time.

Now, is it meaningful or necessary? I'd say that the number of successfully running new cars says that it's probably not.

BTW you asked for my "degree"... an implication that you have one, I don't. But...you don't have one either, so that was a bit of a dead-ended implication.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:24 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

The key is the study was only 60 days as all it was funded for. Without further testing there is no way to know when the end of the curve stops going up as plateau was never found. I will say from experience that used blocks machine wildly better as the study indicated in just 60 days.

While not a degree I have a pile of course credits from UConn in both metallurgy and strength of materials until Dad diagnosed stage 4 cancer and I dropped out to work and pay the bills. SAE publications have filled in a bunch and my contact and good friend in Harford the deep dark inner workings when needed. A good deal more knowledge on the subject than the average engineer as I need to know it to do design work and pick the right material for the job.

Quick Reply: What goes into a "crate" motor?