C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacement options for Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:11 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement options for Bose system

Hi Everyone

Ive got a right front amp acting up on my 84 equipped with the Delco-Bose sound system

It looks like an aftermarket amp that can drive 4 speakers and is Bluetooth equipped is the same price as refurbishing 1 Bose amp...

Has anyone had luck doing this? I know the Bose speakers have half the resistance of a typical aftermarket speaker... not sure if that would be a problem
Old 12-18-2016, 02:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Your choice is really to fix the one amp or replace everything with an aftermarket system. The output from the Bose head unit is not the same as an aftermarket system.

It might be a good idea to post your question over in the Audio/Electronics section of the CF. Lots of knowledgeable members over there that can help.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rorrapalooza
Has anyone had luck doing this? I know the Bose speakers have half the resistance of a typical aftermarket speaker... not sure if that would be a problem
Do you also know that each speaker box has its own amp inside? Matching the required input is not difficult, but your intention as to speaker selection is unclear, given the above.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:55 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Im aware of the 4 seperate amps. Im not willing to change the stock head unit/radio face plate. If possible id like to put a single aftermarket amp between the head unit and stock speakers

im aware theres some "bluetooth amps" deisgned to switch off the head unit when you connect your phone but otherwise opporate as a normal amp.

If necessary i would be willing to replace the bose speakers too, if i could fit aftermarket ones in the stock locations
Old 12-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by rorrapalooza
Im aware of the 4 seperate amps. Im not willing to change the stock head unit/radio face plate. If possible id like to put a single aftermarket amp between the head unit and stock speakers

im aware theres some "bluetooth amps" deisgned to switch off the head unit when you connect your phone but otherwise opporate as a normal amp.

If necessary i would be willing to replace the bose speakers too, if i could fit aftermarket ones in the stock locations
you cant mix and match. You have to either fix it or replace the whole system
Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I vote replace the Bose. Unless you run a separate amp you do not need to run new speaker wires. I went with a single din DVD/CD player with Bluetooth, a JVC on my 88. 6X9's in the back and 4" in the door.
You will need the Electronic section of the FSM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Im gonna attempt the DIY fix of the amp. If that doesn't work ill just save up my money till I can replace the whole thing, speakers and amp; but I'm determined to find a way to keep the stock radio head unit.

Thanks for the help and advice; and yeah ill definitely be studying up on electronic section of the FSM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement options for Bose system

Quick Reply: Replacement options for Bose system