C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does anyone have a Stainless Works Catback??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Does anyone have a Stainless Works Catback??

I've found the end of the internet looking for an LT1/4 owner that has the stainless works chambered catback....

At the ripe age of 30 I cant handle the magnaflow drone anymore so i'm looking to switch up the rear section this spring. Either going back to stock mufflers or thinking of SW system because of the stock looking square outlets.

Does anyone run it with headers? It's 1k gamble i'm having a hard time justifying without hearing it....

http://stainlessworks.net/1992-96-lt...exhaust-system
Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

I have to agree with you. I bought a '95 coupe A4 with a Magnaflow cat back. Drone is still bad but at 62 I guess my hearing loss is getting worse so it's not too bad. Just can't justify spending $1k on a new stainless cat back when the one that's on the car is in great shape.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,943 Posts

They do say that Corsa brings down the drone. I got Borla Stingers at a good price but had I known that the wife would hate the drone so much, I'd have sprung for Corsa. We compromised on having a cat put in which brought it down.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Corsa for sure is the way to go for no drone, it's well documented.
I'm looking for a different option and I like the looks of SW's system but can't seem to find any good info. I even contacted SW and they didn't have much for me other than a short video of a c4 zr1 with the 3" system.

Someone must have it!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:50 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't speak about the SW system but had a very bad drone when I installed Long Tubes with Borla mufflers and Random cats. I took the Borla mufflers off and put the Stock mufflers on and the drone is gone.

While the tone is a little less muscle car it is MUCH better overall.
The following users liked this post:
9T3VETTE (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by blue94
Can't speak about the SW system but had a very bad drone when I installed Long Tubes with Borla mufflers and Random cats. I took the Borla mufflers off and put the Stock mufflers on and the drone is gone.

Same thing here but I can't install the stock system since I ditched it.

If I didn't have a functioning SS 304 system, I'd definitely not get Borla Stinger again. I don't need advertise speed to the rich boys by trying to emulate some sound from the day of old where technology was lacking.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:36 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Corsa = No drone at all.

Well worth the money. Love mine.

Last edited by crowz; 01-06-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:41 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Good info thanks. The research I've done shows the factory mufflers provide a nice tone with little to no drone which is what I'm looking for. . Member grandspt posted some videos of his ARH heades with factory mufflers and it sounded great.

I really do like the stainless square outlets on the SW system which is why I'm so curious about anyone who has it.

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 01-06-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Mike100 bought one for his C4 ZR1 and it droned him crazy. So crazy he installed a C6 NPP system. Its a great modification, and the way he did the DIY is amazing.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have a wife who hated the drone. So much so, she refused to ride in either of my Vettes. The first car I went to extreme, removed interior, dynomatted, 1/2 in jute pad, and lizard skin underneath. Still pretty loud. The fix, greatest improvement was removing the gas filler door and rubber boot, then (and everyone will hate me for suggesting this) I took a can of expanding foam, and spayed it between the gas tank, and the rear interior wall. Used a whole can of fireblock foam from Home Depot, and dispersed evenly. The difference is night, and day. My convert only has the foam, with Flowmaster muffs, and my wife loves it! h
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by PLRX
Mike100 bought one for his C4 ZR1 and it droned him crazy. So crazy he installed a C6 NPP system. Its a great modification, and the way he did the DIY is amazing.
Good info I found another zr1 member who said the full SW system droned for him....looked up his build thread and that is for sure some good craftsmanship!

Seems like the only 2 options I have are stock mufflers or biting the bullet for corsa. Corsa sounds great under WOT but around town light loads I'm just not a huge fan...

Originally Posted by hemivett
I too have a wife who hated the drone. So much so, she refused to ride in either of my Vettes. The first car I went to extreme, removed interior, dynomatted, 1/2 in jute pad, and lizard skin underneath. Still pretty loud. The fix, greatest improvement was removing the gas filler door and rubber boot, then (and everyone will hate me for suggesting this) I took a can of expanding foam, and spayed it between the gas tank, and the rear interior wall. Used a whole can of fireblock foam from Home Depot, and dispersed evenly. The difference is night, and day. My convert only has the foam, with Flowmaster muffs, and my wife loves it! h
Actually it doesn't bother the wife all that much..when she rides in the car we are generally going on a longer trip which I can stay out of the drone zone. It annoys the crap out of me when I drive to work in the summer which is mostly city driving. No way to control it there.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Do you have a resonator? If I went that route I'd be going long tubes -> an x pipe -> exiting through stock mufflers.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM
hemivett
Pro

[QUOTE=9T3VETTE;1593818382]Good info I found another zr1 member who said the full SW system droned for him....looked up his build thread and that is for sure some good craftsmanship!

Seems like the only 2 options I have are stock mufflers or biting the bullet for corsa. Corsa sounds great under WOT but around town light loads I'm just not a huge fan...

Actually it doesn't bother the wife all that much..when she rides in the car we are generally going on a longer trip which I can stay out of the drone zone. It annoys the crap out of me when I drive to work in the summer which is mostly city driving. No way to control it there.

I guarantee the foam will work. With it being about 75% less drone. Just comes down to how much it bothers you. It gave me a headache, so it was worth it. You can't see the foam, unless you look really close, and the small amount that expanded out the bottom can be trimmed and painted black. (Fireblock is orange) I show both my cars, and haven't had one person notice. (Judges, or public) h
Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hemivett
I love this idea. We're you able to get enough just from the fill neck area? No expansion out the top? I'm planning the dynomat route as well when I replace my carpet but love the idea of a light weight foam instead of a dense matting.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

It's a good suggestion but there is no way I could spray expanding foam on my car.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
It's a good suggestion but there is no way I could spray expanding foam on my car.
Ummmmmmm....why not? Ever ridden in a late model luxury car and wonder how they get it so quiet? It's full of the stuff.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by Silver85
I love this idea. We're you able to get enough just from the fill neck area? No expansion out the top? I'm planning the dynomat route as well when I replace my carpet but love the idea of a light weight foam instead of a dense matting.
Yes, you can fill the whole void from the top. I start by sticking the nozzle as deep as I can, and get as much right to left coverage as you can. Then I let it sit for a minute to expand. (This way it will hold what you pile on top) Then working side to side I fill the void. I used the whole can per car. After that I let it sit. Neither car expanded enough to come out the top, and I think the only reason I had some come out the bottom of my first one, is because I drove it too soon, and the vibration caused it to sag. I recommend letting it do it's thing, and dry, as I did in my vert.

I even went as far as putting 1/2in jute on the inside of my doors on my coupe, and the vert is just as quiet, and probably a good 100 lbs lighter. (All the vert has is foam. I was so impressed with the results on the coupe, it was the first thing I did to the vert) Like I said before. If you have the guts to do it, you'll be shocked by the results. h

Ps. Don't try to wipe, or remove any overage till after it is completely dry. It's some sticky stuff when it's wet, and comes off easy when dry. Let me know what you think if you do it. Peace.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have a Stainless Works Catback??

Old 01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Expanding foam is not a bad idea, however there are different grades.
do not use the home stuff in a can unless your car will never see water.
not that we have to worry much about rusting holes in the body, but that stuff will retain water like a sponge (i took a crash course in this while restoring an old boat, they use the stuff for safety flotation).

For boats they have a grade that is fully closed cell foam when it sets up, resistant to water even of punctured.
​​​​​​​I'm sure they have an automotive grade...
Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gibbles
Expanding foam is not a bad idea, however there are different grades.
do not use the home stuff in a can unless your car will never see water.
not that we have to worry much about rusting holes in the body, but that stuff will retain water like a sponge (i took a crash course in this while restoring an old boat, they use the stuff for safety flotation).

For boats they have a grade that is fully closed cell foam when it sets up, resistant to water even of punctured.
​​​​​​​I'm sure they have an automotive grade...
Good thought. I can't seem to find any that are both fire retardant as well as closed cell or waterproof. Not sure how important fire retardant is but if Im gonna spray it next to my fuel tank it better be.

Speaking of which, what is the tank made of? I havent dug into it to see yet.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Do you have a resonator? If I went that route I'd be going long tubes -> an x pipe -> exiting through stock mufflers.
No resonator on mine, Long Tubes, Randon cats, x pipe and LT1 stock mufflers. Used 3 inch pipes up to rear wheels then stock pipes attached to mufflers.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Stainless Works Catback??