C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 lt1 6spd. any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 PM
motodog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 94 lt1 6spd. any good?

looking at getting a corvette again. had an 85 auto and really liked it but had to sell. now looking at an 94 with a 6spd. looking for input from owners. thing to look for ? ect. car will be a weekend driver. I like to mod so stock is not really a concern. plans are canyon runs to drag passes with cruises and the like. also was looking at a 40th anniversary lt4 6spd albeit lots more $$ but it was a thought. thanks guys
Old 01-08-2017, 07:18 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Love my 94 M6 LT1! Bought it new July 1994.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

'94 6 speeds are great cars. I have had 2 of them.

Currently have '95 and '96 6 speeds which are very similar.

The '94 is the first year for some things like the computer that has sequential injection and can be flashed instead of a replacement chip. First year for R134 refrigerant. First year for the late interior seats and white lettering on the dash. And some other changes too.

They are pretty strong cars too. They don't break very often even with abuse. A lot of people drag race them without issues.

The things I look for that could be expensive are the paint and body work, interior pieces, clutch and transmission. There are some things that are less expensive too like an antenna that doesn't work right, headlights that make noise/jerky motion/not work, an electronic AC head unit that the buttons need cleaning, intermittent window switches, etc. The Optispark is always a point of discussion. There is a lot of bad mouthing it and concern, but I have not had any problems with mine (8 cars and several hundred thousand miles). I think of it as a distributor and if it breaks, fix it. There are reports of aftermarket failures and successes.

Also be aware that a 40th did not come with an LT4. Only the '96 6 speeds did. Maybe the one you are looking at had it swapped, but be careful what you are looking at.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by motodog
also was looking at a 40th anniversary lt4 6spd albeit lots more $$ but it was a thought. thanks guys
To add to what QCVette wrote, 1996 was the only model year where an LT4 was available. It came in all manual-trans Corvettes that year. Either engine is very nice and that ZF6 transmission is really nice. The LT4 makes more power and extends the useful rpm range up a little higher. Either engine accepts lots of modifications nicely, but the LT4 is stronger if you're keeping it stock. Once you put aftermarket heads and cam on them, either engine is pretty much equal. The LT4 is also more desirable from a collectable perspective (looking down the road into the future, as no C4 is worth very much right now). However, if you're doing significant mods at some point then collectability is no longer an issue anyway.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-08-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 PM
motodog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the feedback guys. I was concerned about the optispark. if it fails ill probably go remanufactured oem.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:02 AM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Owned my 94 since early 96, plan on keeping it until I cannot get in it. I did change the opti to the second generation when I did a head/cam upgrade.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The only problems I see with these cars is the same problem with all the C4s. Some really bad GM engieering. The Opti isnt nearly as bad as its made out to be, that was one of the easiest things I have worked on, on my 2 cars. Its everything else, which if you have had a C4 you already know about.

Great cars, if your willing to work on them.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 lt1 6spd. any good?

Quick Reply: 94 lt1 6spd. any good?