C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DIY Front Coilover Setup

Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Bonds
I wonder if it would be any easier to support the end of the leaf spring with a jack stand take it out with a sawzall...
You don't ever want to cut a " loaded" spring, the sudden release of stored energy will cause bad things.if you cut spring to remove it, you either let the coilovers go with the car or buy another spring to keep them when you're done with the car. Typically coilovers are removed, then sold off separately or transferred to new car.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Bonds (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Eric Bonds
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my thought was to jack the car up as to unload the spring first, then place an extra jack stand under the spring to support it before cutting.
Hadn't thought about selling the car as I plan to keep mine forever....lol
Old 12-01-2020, 01:17 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Those springs are very powerful. On my 69 I put jack stand under the leaf. Loosened the nut and lowered the jack. If your front wheels are off the ground. Compressing the spring will lift the the car and pivot it. When I was installing the new leaf. I didn't realize the spring had so much force it lifted the rear of the car about 8 inches of the lift.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:18 PM
daflee
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking at possibly doing this DIY coilover setup as it seems pretty cost effective.

One thing I noticed is I don't see where you find the upper bushings for the stud mount conversion. In the photos on amazon of the stud mount conversion kit from QA1, it doesn't appear to have any bushings. Can anyone point me in the right direction for sourcing just the upper shock mount bushings that would fit on a 92?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Front Coilover Setup