C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I also have a 90 l98 convertible.. Different ecm (hardened version of the 1227730) and speed density instead of maf. However the same datastream converter should work — probaly uses different comman codes.. I’ll check it out when i get a chance
Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Command codes are the same.. the data out is a bit different, but being in the arduino realm I can take car of that.. Even running the arduino to a Pi and replacing the DIC display would be a cool thing..

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 08-27-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Finally, I have some Arduino ALDL code posted. It works on either the Arduino Mega2560 and an ESP32 Development Kit board. It's been tested on my modified '85 Corvette. The program receives the ALDL data over Rx1 and re-transmits an entire data packet at 115,200 baud over the built in usb serial port. This code and the Arduino can also work in parallel with Tuner Pro and the Moates ALDL interface to intercept message packets -- handy for debugging.
There are 3 user selectable output modes: 1) Raw data stream verbatim as received 2) HEX output of the data stream 3) A simple screen of select decoded data items

Here's the link: https://github.com/z51bob/8192-Baud-ALDL-for-Arduino

Using this with an ESP32 opens up the possibility of putting the data stream out over Bluetooth or WiFi. I haven't tried this yet.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I will have to check out and edit it to try on my 1990, I have a feeling there will be issues with the CCM
Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I will have to check out and edit it to try on my 1990, I have a feeling there will be issues with the CCM
You should be able to modify the arduino code to capture and time the traffic on the aldl including anything to/from the ccm
Old 08-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Man this is awesome. No chance you’re going to sell these is there?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z51BOB

You should be able to modify the arduino code to capture and time the traffic on the aldl including anything to/from the ccm
Working through the code to adapt it for my 1990.. going to just do some to start and see if it works
Old 08-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Looking at the website link you posted (I found the time to read the whole thread), there's a lot of good info there. I would like to request that you post the specific files (don't know if you used CAD or what) for the custom plates-I would like to try to re-create them (most likely 3D print them since I don't have access to an acrylic cutting machine).

Also, I don't see the serial cable or arduino/teensy controllers listed in the components list. Mind listing those out for me? I want to make sure I've got everything ready before I attempt to start on this project. Once I can get it running I'd happily contribute (I do a lot of work with raspberry pis in my job).

I would second the idea of moving the project to Github. I understand and completely respect your desire to use your own site, but moving to github would allow others to view and contribute to your code. Together I'm sure we can get this project completed.
The following users liked this post:
dclafleur (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Z51BOB
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Wes - your site looks great.
I would also like to 3D print a set of plates. I've got the Pi, a 5 in touchscreen, and a SSD ready to go for this project. Could you post the cad files for them? I'm using FreeCad which, I believe, can convert dxf file format into something useable.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:05 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Looking at the website link you posted (I found the time to read the whole thread), there's a lot of good info there. I would like to request that you post the specific files (don't know if you used CAD or what) for the custom plates-I would like to try to re-create them (most likely 3D print them since I don't have access to an acrylic cutting machine).

Also, I don't see the serial cable or arduino/teensy controllers listed in the components list. Mind listing those out for me? I want to make sure I've got everything ready before I attempt to start on this project. Once I can get it running I'd happily contribute (I do a lot of work with raspberry pis in my job).

I would second the idea of moving the project to Github. I understand and completely respect your desire to use your own site, but moving to github would allow others to view and contribute to your code. Together I'm sure we can get this project completed.
Yes but with that level of detail I'll be running out of excuses not to do this too... This really is an awesome project.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Yes but with that level of detail I'll be running out of excuses not to do this too... This really is an awesome project.
Same here. This is an awesome project that I wouldn't ever have started but with so much hard work already done...I feel like I have to try it now.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:12 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51BOB
I really would like to build one of these.
3) Can you fill us in on the rest of the components for the radio and sound system, brackets, etc?
Bob,

I've been dumping my notes, drawings, software, and parts data onto my website like a madman for the last few days (I'm pretty happy with the results). You should be able to find any parts you need listed there along with the drawings for the acrylic chassis.

I've got a lot more to do but it's getting there.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Man this is awesome. No chance you’re going to sell these is there?
I don't have any plans to sell entire systems but I am considering selling some parts to help get people started.

-Wes
Old 09-02-2018, 05:33 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

The files for the acrylic chassis plates are on the website now. I would not recommend trying to 3D print them. The design takes advantage of the inherent rigidity of 3mm acrylic sheet. 3D printing these parts as-is would not yield a very good part. Some additional work would be required to build in some strengthening.

I would recommend that you either buy a set of chassis plates from me or take the drawings, convert them to cut-files and have Ponoko.com make the parts for you.

The website is a work in progress. I'm building it out as fast as I can. Keep checking in and you'll find more info. Z51BOB has taken the lead on the 8192 ALDL reader portion of this project and I'm hoping he and I can work together to integrate it into my BOSE Head Unit Replacement project. If you want to build his 8192 ALDL system, you'll need to work with him.

If you look at my website, you'll find that I have made "View | Download" links for all the files I've posted. Getting copies for your own use should be easy now. As for getting updates from others working on the project, I'll probably need to establish some sort of upload system or move to GitHub. We'll see.

-Wes
Old 09-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LWesthaver
I don't have any plans to sell entire systems but I am considering selling some parts to help get people started.

-Wes
if you sold kits that would be great. Include the acrylic plates etc. I can buy raspberry pi and arduino, just not the custom parts. I’d buy that for sure.
LWesthaver (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Website is looking good.. I would suggest a wiring diagram or schematic as well, that would help.

Cool project..

On another note, I am working through the Arduino stuff from Z51Bob, I have some of it done and just need to test it on my 1990
Old 09-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Wes - one thought I had about your system while cleaning up my semi-used seat covers on my 35th Anniv. Moving the seat controls to the radio is an incredible idea! For those of us that are not as programming literate, would there be an option to control both driver AND passenger seats? Nothing worse than the idea of slicing into brand new seat covers if it can be avoided!

As I've said before, awesome work. I've been boring any friends and families with this "geek-out" project. They just don't get it...
LWesthaver (09-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Website is looking good.. I would suggest a wiring diagram or schematic as well, that would help.

Cool project..

On another note, I am working through the Arduino stuff from Z51Bob, I have some of it done and just need to test it on my 1990
Jeff,

Wiring diagrams will be posted as I have time to create them. I have posted the diagram for the Raspberry Pi Power Manager system (bottom of page).

Keep us posted on your progress with Z51Bob's 8192 ALDL reader. I really want to know how it works for you.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 AM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt81
Wes - one thought I had about your system while cleaning up my semi-used seat covers on my 35th Anniv. Moving the seat controls to the radio is an incredible idea! For those of us that are not as programming literate, would there be an option to control both driver AND passenger seats? Nothing worse than the idea of slicing into brand new seat covers if it can be avoided!
Yes. Controlling both Sport Seats was my plan. I would like to get the leather seat covers replaced and at that time I want to have the upholsterer fill in the void in the lower bolster with foam and then install the lower seat cover leaving the bolster leather un-cut so as to omit the OEM controls. Having done that, I need to provide an on-screen set of controls to operate the recliner motor and the side bolsters' motor. The console mounted seat controls (fore, aft, up, down and tilt) would be left as-is.

It gets trickier when you start to think about controlling the inflatable lumbar bags. Personally, I can live without the lumbar bags since I never use them and they're prone to failure but I suppose the lumbar bag functions could be handled also. The air pump would need to be controlled and three solenoid actuated bleed valves would be required to maintain the OEM functionality. If you really wanted to go nuts, I suppose with the right combination of pumps and bleed valves and the addition of some pressure sensors you could create a system that could remember your favorite lumbar settings and maintain them even in the face of minor air leakage. I'm not really inclined to go to such lengths for a system I don't currently use or want but it's fun to think it through.

Originally Posted by Matt81
As I've said before, awesome work. I've been boring any friends and families with this "geek-out" project. They just don't get it...
Unless they've owned and loved an early C4 they probably wouldn't get it. But I hope there's enough of us who have to make this project worthwhile.

-Wes
Old 09-08-2018, 04:27 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

This is some really impressive work, with serious attention to detail.

Last edited by j3studio; 09-08-2018 at 04:27 PM.
LWesthaver (09-08-2018)

Quick Reply: 1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project