C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cheapest good quality motor to swap in my 87 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 10:02 PM
brettp64
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest good quality motor to swap in my 87 C4?

About to buy my brother's 1987 C4 corvette that he seized the engine on 2 years ago. Since it needs a new engine I'm going to put a new one put in and I'm curious what the best option would be. I'm not concerned about getting more power, just whatever is the most cost effective and will be compatible with the car. Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 08-30-2023, 01:07 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 277 Posts

Is the car a manual or automatic?

I believe in 1987 you have a one piece rear main seal with the associated flywheel. That means neutral front harmonic damper and internal front balance of the crankshaft, and external balance of the flywheel or flexplate.

I think the best value option is to find a 1996-2000 Vortec 350 motor from a junk yard or a private seller. I have seen some listed as good running for as little as $400

You could reuse the vortec heads and leave it all assembled with the cam and everything and use the Scogin Dickey vortec TPI base to then adapt your TPI setup right on top of the vortec heads. Most of the accessories from your 1987 will bolt over, but I am not sure what you will have to do with the timing cover and the front harmonic damper setup. I think that your timing cover should just bolt right up, but you might need to drill and tap two holes in the vortec block to bolt your 1987 timing cover up. Once you do that though, I think you can just reuse your 1987 harmonic damper.

Past that, everything should be plug and play.

Alternatively I think your 1987 aluminum vette cylinder heads also should just bolt up. No shenanigans or cost of the Scogin Dickey vortec adapter TPI intake manifold base. You just reuse the stock 1987 TPI intake manifold base.

But then I think you are going to want to put your vette hydraulic roller lifters and pushrods in to maintain the correct pushrod height... I think, not positive.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:45 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

The word "seized" can mean a lot of different things. If it was me, I would take it to a local machine shop to analyze if it was better to rebuild yours or swap in a Jasper short block. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Cheapest good quality motor to swap in my 87 C4?

Quick Reply: Cheapest good quality motor to swap in my 87 C4?