C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hello, Help please car dies when giving it fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM
dream car vette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, Help please car dies when giving it fuel

i just bought a 1984 and when i give it fuel easy or hard when in gear the car wants to stall or does stall but it will start back up. Any clues what might help been changing parts but may be the wrong part. here is what i tried, looked for vacuum leak, changed coil, throttle pos. sensor.
Please and thank you
Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

If you are not familiar with DTCs (Diagnostic trouble codes) this link will help. There is much to learn, so keep this info handy for future reference:

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/ecm.htm (Click on upper left corner for more info)

It would help to have Factory Shop Manuals (eBay is one source)......even Chilton or Haynes will help.

Last edited by don hall; 01-27-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Congrats on your 84. Your XFire engine is super solid (but mis understood) and once dialed in will be trouble free. I had zero issues with mine.

We need more information to help....

Any fault codes?
Has this always been the situation or something just recent?
When idling, does the car run super smooth or with a "Bounce/Stumble/surge" of sorts? (Vacuum leak)
Does it run poorly cold or hot or all the time?
What is your reading on the TPS? It needs to be .525
You might want to check your fuel pressure. The XFire are SUPER fuel pressure sensitive. Many owners (I did) changed out the fuel pump in the tank to a 85-89 model. It makes a big difference. You need a monimum of 11.5 psi but your car will LOVE 15.
Double check your coolant temp sensor. If that is off, your car will run wonky when warm.

So..
1)Fault codes
2) Dial in TPS
3) Check Vacuum leaks and fuel pressure
4) Check coolant sensor
Old 01-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dream car vette
i just bought a 1984 and when i give it fuel easy or hard when in gear the car wants to stall or does stall but it will start back up. Any clues what might help been changing parts but may be the wrong part. here is what i tried, looked for vacuum leak, changed coil, throttle pos. sensor.
Please and thank you
Does it stall if you turn on the lights and or press the brakes (tails light up)?

If you have a set of jumper cables, connect one end to your fuel filler neck with the cap off, and the other end to a good solid ground, like the frame or the negative battery post on the car.

I had an issue with the shared tail light and fuel pump grounding circuit in my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello, Help please car dies when giving it fuel

Quick Reply: Hello, Help please car dies when giving it fuel