C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lsx/4+3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Appreciate it but I'm not there yet lol
The fuse box is pretty small but should be ok-it'll be behind the battery.
Does your 6.0 have the stock cam?
Bone stock LQ9, except for the intake manifold and headers. My car has 2.73 gears in it, with 700R stock stall converter. Original radiator, original fuel pump, stock 16in rims, stock tires, stock brakes. The car seems to run at around 185 deg's for coolant temps. I'm running a 180 deg thermostat

I didn't install the new LS AC system at this time but plan to down the road.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Turn of events-just bought a used hp tuners set up.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Sweet, you also get the programming harness. It will allow you to program the ecm without using your car wiring harness.

HP tuner work pretty good, just need to get rid of the vats on the 5.3 ecm.

I used a shorty 90 deg elbow on 103mm throttle body going into a afe air filter using an 4in to 5in adapter. I didn't need to use a mass air flow unit on my car. Looking back on my build, I wished I used a composite intake manifold rather than my aluminum intake. Wow does it get hot. Looks good. I have a LS9 cam, ls3cnc heads, ls3 roller rocker, ls3 intake on the shelf. I want to get my rear end upgraded and transmission done prior to adding those parts.

Not sure on what type of boost device I want to use yet. The car is tons of fun as is right now. I'm sure a new 2018 vette is faster than this but not by much. Mine's probably louder though
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Sweet, you also get the programming harness. It will allow you to program the ecm without using your car wiring harness.

HP tuner work pretty good, just need to get rid of the vats on the 5.3 ecm.

I used a shorty 90 deg elbow on 103mm throttle body going into a afe air filter using an 4in to 5in adapter. I didn't need to use a mass air flow unit on my car. Looking back on my build, I wished I used a composite intake manifold rather than my aluminum intake. Wow does it get hot. Looks good. I have a LS9 cam, ls3cnc heads, ls3 roller rocker, ls3 intake on the shelf. I want to get my rear end upgraded and transmission done prior to adding those parts.

Not sure on what type of boost device I want to use yet. The car is tons of fun as is right now. I'm sure a new 2018 vette is faster than this but not by much. Mine's probably louder though

Sounds like you've got some experience with hp tuners? I'm sure it'll take a while to figure out what I'm doing. So I should be able to unlock my ecm and make changes by myself? From what I've read there are also options for similar tunes to try?
​I also wanted to delete the maf for a speed density tune. Hopefully this isn't too hard to figure out.

Last edited by armybyrd; 08-09-2017 at 11:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=armybyrd;1595329792]Sounds like you've got some experience with hp tuners? I'm sure it'll take a while to figure out what I'm doing. So I should be able to unlock my ecm and make changes by myself? From what I've read there are also options for similar tunes to try?
​I also wanted to delete the maf for a speed density tune. Hopefully this isn't too hard to figure out.[/QUOTE

You'll figure it out, lots of utube vids on HP tuner and forums on get rid of vats. You just got to giver a try. My fast ez tuning was super easy, just have to know some of the basics to get it to work. I would just add some timing and some fuel to the basic tune and run it as is. Maybe raise the rev limiter at little?

You get the data recording part of HP tuners?

I'm probably 350 to 400 rwhp area with my set-up, still way to slow for me...

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 08-09-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

[QUOTE=Mike Holmen;1595329983]
Originally Posted by armybyrd
Sounds like you've got some experience with hp tuners? I'm sure it'll take a while to figure out what I'm doing. So I should be able to unlock my ecm and make changes by myself? From what I've read there are also options for similar tunes to try?
​I also wanted to delete the maf for a speed density tune. Hopefully this isn't too hard to figure out.[/QUOTE

You'll figure it out, lots of utube vids on HP tuner and forums on get rid of vats. You just got to giver a try. My fast ez tuning was super easy, just have to know some of the basics to get it to work. I would just add some timing and some fuel to the basic tune and run it as is. Maybe raise the rev limiter at little?

You get the data recording part of HP tuners?

I'm probably 350 to 400 rwhp area with my set-up, still way to slow for me...

Bought the standard version from a guy on eBay. I'll prob end up upgrading to pro eventually.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I wished I went the HP tuners route myself. Way easier to add boost down the road. My current FAST setup isn't boost friendly, was told I had to upgrade to something different.

Your setup with 5.3L and the 4+3 is very cool swap. I'm surprised on how good everything has been working so far with my car. I'm sure my LQ9 as is more drive able, street friendly than a modified 383 to the same power levels.

I drive a 2016 chevy silverado 2016 5.3L drive injection engine daily for work. Been very impressed on the power and fuel mileage so far.

The LQ9 car runs cooler engine temps than my stock TPI engine ever did.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 08-10-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:17 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

What happened with this project?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
What happened with this project?
Ended up going overseas for a few months and got a C6 Z in the mix. I recently got my Novak parts needed to make the 4 speed work with the 5.3 though and I do plan on having the tranny back in before spring.
Pretty much life got in the way but I'll never get rid of the C4 so it will get done.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 02-23-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:28 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Thanks for the update. Congrats on the C6Z!

When you start on this project again I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Old Greg's Garage
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any more updates to this project? I'm currently sitting at the same spot as you. I have an lq4 sitting besides the car mounting the 4+3 to it. Fighting with the wiring harness. I think I'm going to order a standalone engine harness. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the lights, Windows and other simple electrical working.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Armybyrd21
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Greg's Garage
Do you have any more updates to this project? I'm currently sitting at the same spot as you. I have an lq4 sitting besides the car mounting the 4+3 to it. Fighting with the wiring harness. I think I'm going to order a standalone engine harness. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the lights, Windows and other simple electrical working.
Currently on my 3rd ls and I’ve since swapped to a t56.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:02 PM
Armybyrd21
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Greg's Garage
windows and lights are separate from the engine harness.

Quick Reply: Lsx/4+3 swap