C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Rear Brakes hanging

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:58 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 92 Rear Brakes hanging

Hey guys,

I about to have to put my 1992 base 6sp vette back on the lift to do some work. about 30- 40K miles ago when I bout the car I replaced all of the pads on the car because the previous owner contaminated the pads with a ton of grease. (not really sure how it was as bad as it was but it was almost humorous. as contaminated as the were you could have gotten 300K miles out of them haha) The problem is the backs have worn down to about nothing. I knew they were about gone but my dumb self neglected them partially due to the fact the rotors need to be replaced and the other part due to me going back to school. The fronts have over half pad left. The rears seem to have a slight drag when I'm off of the brakes. I've read little about the parking brake being a culprit. I also have a brake light on that I've sourced to the pressure switch on the master cylinder, but I read that that has gotten stuck so I haven't really worried too much about it. ABS works like a champ. No ABS lights. The back brakes have worn fairly evenly with both being completely gone. At first I was thinking that the caliper could be hanging but I would think that the odds of Both hanging evenly would be next to none. in about a week I'll be replacing the rotors and pads. I'll be ordering parts soon.

So what would cause the backs to hang. Does the parking brake actuate both rears or just one? I've dug around through the manual some when I'm not busy with school but I haven't really found anything that explains how the mechanism works. Correct me if I'm wrong; is the parking brake mechanism just a wire and a spring that returns the caliper back to its original position when I return the lever back down?

Thanks guys!!!

Connor Coughlin

Last edited by twichy2011; 04-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you have to let the lever down twice.. once is so you can get out of the car with brake still applied.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The parking brake activates both rears, that is for sure.

The ends of the parking brake cable pull on levers which pivot against the brake pads and wedge them against the disc. Because of this design, it's a good idea to have your foot on the primary brake first, to press the pads firmly against the disc, then you can pull the parking brake so the levers simply hold the pads there (instead of leveraging all the force by themselves). If you pull on the parking brake without engaging the primary brakes first, the levers will have to exert all the force against the pads resulting in a slightly weaker hold and causing more overall strain on the parking brake system.

This is my understanding of how the parking brake works in these cars.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Forgot to update what happened. The problem turned out to be both rear calipers. The slides were messed up which was causing the outside pads to stick. New calipers and the problem is resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Rear Brakes hanging

Quick Reply: 92 Rear Brakes hanging