C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 PM
choopes
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Auto shifter problem

My 93 coupe has an automatic with the shifter in center console. The plastic piece that indicates P-R-N-D etc. has fallen down in the console. Now it won't shift out of Park. I removed the console, but see no way to remove the shifter ****. I'm afraid I will damage it. What holds the plastic piece in there? ( P-R-N-D etc.) Why does it fall down? Should I try to glue it? I found an old post where they talk about removing the solinoid that releases when the brake in engaged. This may help with the stuck in park problem. Has anyone else here had a problem with the shifter display piece? What is a good fix?
THANKS
Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

You will need a dull pick with a 90 degree bendin it. Most likely a mirror too. I'm guessing the corvette **** is the same as my '94 camaro and it uses a U shaped pin that looks a whole lot like a staple. You have to see it on dash side which is out'a sight and the mirror should help (maybe a flashlight too).

Use care and you won't have to pull that pin/staple all the way out but if you do just get it started back in the **** before putting the **** back on.

Hope this will help.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by choopes
My 93 coupe has an automatic with the shifter in center console. The plastic piece that indicates P-R-N-D etc. has fallen down in the console. Now it won't shift out of Park. I removed the console, but see no way to remove the shifter ****. I'm afraid I will damage it. What holds the plastic piece in there? ( P-R-N-D etc.) Why does it fall down? Should I try to glue it? I found an old post where they talk about removing the solinoid that releases when the brake in engaged. This may help with the stuck in park problem. Has anyone else here had a problem with the shifter display piece? What is a good fix?
THANKS
To remove the **** pry up on the shift button from the sides, then remove the retainer and snap ring. The **** should then come straight up if I remember right (might have to gently tap up on it). If the indicator has fallen down it may have broken, it is just held in place by gravity and a rod that moves back and forth. You can buy replacements from most of the parts catalogs. If this all happened at the same time it may be that some of the PRND plastic is blocking the shifter from coming out of Park. (If you can depress the shifter button it is not the solenoid.) However, I recommend you remove the solenoid anyway since you are already there, if it hasn't failed yet it probably will sooner or later.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM
choopes
Racer

Enclosure

Cardoo I did try to make a tool as you described. A piece of wire with a 90 degree turn at the very end. It did seemed to be hinged on the right side. I couldn't pull it up where it would stay. It was still hung up in park. So that's when i removed the console. I had done that a few years back when I changed out the radio. MarkKlien I did find another indicator at midwest for $35. I don't know why mine no longer stays in place. Will I have the same experience with a replacement? Only one way to find out. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OP - post #2 isn't correct for a C4 A4 **** removal.

POST#3 is CORRECT!!!

If your pointer is busted a search on eBay will get you a good look at options.

An eBay search for 10146437 or just a GOOGLE search for 10146437 GM should get you images.

Here's a C4 A4 shifter exploded view

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...=0&modelYear=0

*** #3 in the image is only an external snap-ring and not a specialty retainer. If you loose it for any reason 5/8".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-25-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:36 PM
choopes
Racer

You guys are a great help. I went out and examined the situation better. This is what i found. The indicator snaps into the HOUSING. Transmission Shift Control Selector. This is the metal piece that the lights mount into. It in turn is attached to the underside of the console cover with screws. Mine is broken at the place the screws attach. I will try to glue it epoxy. If that won't hold, I may need to replace the console cover if i can find one.
A side mote. The battery went dead, likely due to a light, like an interier light being left on. No power means I can't get it out of park. I did get the release button removed, but i want to pull the shifter back so I can see down in there and get at it better.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto shifter problem

Quick Reply: Auto shifter problem