C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 to 1996 stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1990 to 1996 stereo replacement

I just wanted to make a quick post about the C4 speaker/radio issue. I searched EVERYWHERE for a direct guide to replacing my system. Not 1 site gave me a straight answer. The answer is 4 inch in the front and 5.25 in the rear. If you feel like cutting the plastic, it wouldn't be hard and you could fit almost anything in there. I'm replacing the whole system, I'm not using any of the original wiring. The only thing I needed to fish out was the antenna from under the glove box. It's a simple job if you have any experience in this area.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I am looking at doing the same thing, but may make spacers out of plywood and use the existing Bose covers. I want it so that a future owner can go back if they really want to. My Bose amps currently hiss.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

That also works, surprisingly there is alot of room in the back to do almost anything. When I took out the cover and speakers, I immediately thought of putting 2 8" kicker L7's in the hole lol
Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

That also works, surprisingly there is alot of room in the back to do almost anything. When I took out the cover and speakers, I immediately thought of putting 2 8" kicker L7's in the hole lol
Old 03-01-2017, 04:56 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

I replaced the Bose system in my 85.

You may have to stuff the rear passages in the rear speaker housings to prevent distortion.

I cut plywood spacers, painted them the same color as the interior and mounted 6x9 speakers.

If you use the "storage" wells for the subs - I would / did insulate them as they can get hot. They are close to the exhaust pipes.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Ahhhh, I did plan on using those too. Thanks for the tip. I bought 2 kicker S8L7 to put in the storage compartments. I'm just not quite sure where to put the 6 channel amplifier I have. I bought a small high power Kenwood. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

I mounted mine on the floor of the cargo area.

If I was going to do it again I would use 3/4 plywood and mount it on the rear cargo area wall.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Default Finished C4 stereo system

After going through the car almost 2 years after the purchase. I'm excited I finally have a stereo that works at all 4 corners. If you are a first time corvette owner. I would suggest getting the car on a lift before you purchase it. I got mine dirt cheap so I'm not that upset. Other people who find missing portions of the car hidden under the carpet and lots of black gueye substances holding the car together may become enraged.

onto the stereo now.......I put a 5.25 focal component set in the back and 2 setts of Kicker 4" in the front. I did cut some of the plastic box to fit the 2nd set. I ran a 4 gage wire on the driver side and the remote wire. On the passanger side I ran the AV wires. Grounded to the upper seat belt bolt and installed the amp in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. A standard GM harness works if you remove the RF unit from under the glove box (you have to get it anyway to get the antenna and power antenna wire) saves time from running new wires. I am going to install a fan in the bottom of the storage compartment because of thermal issues..........yea, it gets HOTT. Have not put the kicker S8L7 in the car yet, honestly it sounds just fine as is. Getting me to say that, you know it has to be loud. I am one who loves booming stereos and the system I have chosen is awesome. In total: shopping in pawn shops, ebay, amazon and local Houston stereo shops. I spent a total of $276 for everything. A nice Sony head unit, 1 set of twisted JL Audio 6 channel AV wires, 4 gage install kit, dash kit Focal component set, 4 kicker 4" and a 5 channel kicker 1200.5 along with an 8" kicker solobarric S8L7. In total, It took 9 hours to install it myself. If you want to see your car in its naked glory, I suggest you do it yourself. If you need any help, just ask your Q's here and I'm sure I can walk you through.

corvette forum walked me through alot of my hardships of owning a brittle plastic car. Hopefully I can pay it forward.
The following users liked this post:
4xcontractor (03-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 to 1996 stereo replacement

Quick Reply: 1990 to 1996 stereo replacement