C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

3" true dual exhaust for an 87?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM
bandit666
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If it eases your mind lots of 10 sec cars running around with 2.5 in systems.....their 20hp claim seems pretty optimistic as Ive done it myself but dont think it will hurt you going all 3" or 3 then necking down to 2.5 etc so you have options
As the exhaust travels through the system it cools quick and doesnt really require as large a pipe at a a point.

Think of a C4 system like an old musclecar (long exh) that dumps by the rear axle

If you use a good straight through muffler (like dynomax ultraflows or) always a plus..and they sound awesome.
Thanks,I currently have flowmasters on it.I think I'll try to cut the 2 into 1 front part to separate the 2 pipes and hook them up to the 3" x pipe coming from the front.I to thought the claim of a 20 hp gain was a little optimistic.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Easy to get crossed up when you want every last bit out of them, wheres the "line" gotta like the sound too

Scroll down to Joe Shermans post
Could have been done on an 8000 rpm 434 who knows but caught the eye none the less. (may not be noticeable on a st car)
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...bc5faeaa43a4d0
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 AM
bandit666
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy to get crossed up when you want every last bit out of them, wheres the "line" gotta like the sound too

Scroll down to Joe Shermans post
Could have been done on an 8000 rpm 434 who knows but caught the eye none the less. (may not be noticeable on a st car)
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...bc5faeaa43a4d0
I mis spoke when I said that I have flowmasters on my vette,I actually have borlas,The flowmasters are on my truck.Left brain wasn't working with the right or it was crs.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Alpina
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why double x-pipes?

Originally Posted by Gibbles
Google "melrose corvette"

Not stainless, but it comes with a nice system thats long tubes, ceramic coated, comes with an xpipe.

as the system is shipped, it tapers down to 2.5in shortly after the xpipe, but it does not take much to complete the full run in 3in.

I have the system, i had them ship me a second xpipe, and i completed the full 3in run into a set of flow master 40's.

Double xpipes
​​​​​​​

i should have snapped a view of the entire system yesterday when i had a nice view from the front of the car to the back.

​​​​​​​I coated the non stainless system in header paint inside and out prior to install, it baked it self on, and is quiet tough.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit666
As for the difference between a 2.5 and a 3" ,I'm told by the dyno guys and my eng. builder it will be about a 20 hp gain on my engine.Can't quite decipher the rest of your reply from"it's your car though" on,but thanks for the reply.
There is a rule of thumb in place for hp ratings and size. 3" is where you need to be and if you do any more mods you'll be buying 3' anyways.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With 535 HP (is that an actual observed dyno number, or guesstimate based on the parts?), I'm thinking your 1-3/4" primary headers are going to be the restriction before 2.5" duals will be.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpina
why double x-pipes?
Mainly i wanted to reduce the drone, and increase the pitch @ RPM.

It helped the drone when crusing at low RPM, especially with those aggressive FM40's.

Higher RPM the car screams, sounds like a proper sports car IMO.

Coworker told me it sounds like an F1 car, and that's pretty much what i wanted...

​​​​​​​Another thing it does is to increase the exhaust scavenging (helps to pull fuel and air into the engine), and exhaust pulses smooth out, i think thats part of why the tone changes...

And cruising the freeway @ 1200rpm, it still has a very nice rumble, almost motorcycle sounding.

But as soon as the converter unlocks, and the engine hits 3k rpm, the tone drastically changes.

Like night and day difference.

​​​​​​​Top off and driving through a nice tight walled canyon, the car sounds like sex imo.

Last edited by Gibbles; 05-26-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Any bigger primary than the 1-3/4 he will probably lose some power and make changing plugs a hassle.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Alpina
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to hear that...

It helped the drone when crusing at low RPM, especially with those aggressive FM40's.

Coworker told me it sounds like an F1 car, and that's pretty much what i wanted...

​​​​​​​Another thing it does is to increase the exhaust scavenging (helps to pull fuel and air into the engine), and exhaust pulses smooth out, i think thats part of why the tone changes...

And cruising the freeway @ 1200rpm, it still has a very nice rumble, almost motorcycle sounding.

But as soon as the converter unlocks, and the engine hits 3k rpm, the tone drastically changes.

​​​​​​​Top off and driving through a nice tight walled canyon, the car sounds like sex imo.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:16 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpina
why double x-pipes?

Just a note, I did some real world testing on my 16Z06 comparing the Corsa 3" midpipe with double X-pipes to Borlas 2 7/8" single x-pipe unit. The smaller Borla with only 1 X-pipe was consistently a tenth better in the quarter than the larger double x-pipe Corsa. Either bigger is not always better or a double x-pipe is not better than a single s-pipe or both.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:31 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

here some good reading on C4 exhaust with x pipes. http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...t-system.1174/
Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any bigger primary than the 1-3/4 he will probably lose some power and make changing plugs a hassle.
Won't lose power. May lose a little low end torque, but it'll be more than made up at the top end. How big the pipes are after the collector won't change the effect that too small of primaries will have.

Difficulty changing plugs is sometimes just the price you pay for performance.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I home built my own 3in exhaust. I re-using the original flowmaster mufflers (just opened them up for 3in) that came with the car. I probably have around $120 in my build so far. I'm running a 05 LQ9 with shorty headers, with no cross pipe at this time. I'm probably around the 400HP area right now. Sounds pretty decent.

You guys with long tube headers, your exhaust system would be super easy to build.

Quick Reply: 3" true dual exhaust for an 87?